Anyone know of a step by step for an "actual" bench seat recover diy?

Kytoaster

I have some mexican blankets and wanted to actually recover my poor seat in my 620 (I'd love to get it recovered professionally in the original color, but...my 620 was $500...and most interior shops want at least 4$00-750 to recover the bench. 

My google-fu is moderately strong, but all I can find is how to make a very rough "slip on" cover for a bench seat. Basically lay it over the seat, and safety pin it in place.

Unfortunately, my 620 has seen serious mileage, and I have springs coming through my seat.

I have recovered motorcycle seats before with cheap vinyl, so I have a liiiittle bit of experience. 

I've just never done an actual car/truck seat before, so I'm hoping to find something that talks about removing/refilling the batting/foam/etc, as well as how to really recover the seat instead of just making a "slip" cover.

I'm figuring that I'll need to use hogrings, or could I just cut out the seat inserts and sew the blanket in?

Like this?
G28kWSe.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Springs are showing? or broken and poking through the old cover? If broken this will need fixing, if just showing you'll need to pad with foam. $500 just for covering sounds like way too much. This probably includes redoing the pad and stitching up new covers.

Not broken, cover, foam and batting have just completely worn down, leading to the springs showing. 

I thought it seemed high as well, but I talked to 3 different places and got (roughly) the same prices. These weren't even the high end places, which really surprised me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not broken, cover, foam and batting have just completely worn down, leading to the springs showing. 

I thought it seemed high as well, but I talked to 3 different places and got (roughly) the same prices. These weren't even the high end places, which really surprised me.

I did a little DIY seat re-covering seen here: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/68063-72-620-modern-refresh/

But i'm not going to lie it was pretty time consuming and my results didn't come out as great as I had hoped (but it works just fine).  Part of this was because I just essentially wrapped a flat sheet of vinyl around the foam.  If you have a straight bench it should be pretty easy, I had the bench with the shifter cutout and it was more difficult than anticipated.  If you have the cutout, take the time to do it correctly which would be tracing out the curve and sewing a new piece in front to alleviate the headaches of trying to make a clean curve with a flat sheet of vinyl.