610 goon U-bolts

MapleNuts

I'm trying to lower my wagon but i've been pulling my hair out trying to find a definitive answer on the proper inside diameter of the u-bolts i should get, and well as what thread size.

It seems to me i have a h190 axle and the inside diameter of the u bolts on the car are 2.625 (2 5/8). 

But i cant find any u bolts with that diameter anywhere

Anyone know what U-bolts i actually need to run 2.5"-3" lowering blocks.

seems like everyone else lowering isn't having any problems with this, i'm just a poor noob.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should put the year of your 610 in your profile.

I'm guessing you have a '73 (manual/automatic) or a '74 automatic. These years used an H-165B rear axle and the tube will be smaller diameter than the H-190. I just looked at my 710 (which were all H-165B) and yeah 2.5" roughly... could be 2.6" for sure.

On my wagon I got a set of 2" lowering blocks for an H-190 at Canby one year.  All I did was give them a few smacks with a small sledge to squeeze them in slightly and as long as the threaded end fits through the shock mount plate it fits just fine. Been on and driving them for years now. I would guess 3" diameter U bolt pinched in 1/8" each side will work dandy.

Thread size is irrelevant.... anything that will thread on and tighten up is fine.

My friend's 510 wagon, with a H190, uses the exact same U-bolts as my 710 coupe, with a H165 .. they are 2.5" inner diameter. But my 710 wagon has this sleeve under the U-bolts, so the 710 wagon U-bolts have a slightly larger inner diameter. You need custom U-bolts if you want to use this sleeve:

15747796413_2c1c61837b_c.jpg

Bending 3" axle U-bolts does not look safe at all .. I'd rather run 2.5" NAPA U-bolts without the sleeve (or get custom ones made)

16181889777_a369a1189a_c.jpg

• Like 1

710rearsuspension010Large.jpg

'Bending' sounds drastic but it's barely 1/8" per side. I just closed up the radius very slightly and it grips that curved alignment plate perfectly.

710rearsuspension013Large.jpg

Have that shock mount plate handy and just check the fit. When the threaded ends fit the holes.... you're done. Only took one or two hits to do each one.

• Like 1

What leafs did you add to your pack? and do you suggest extra leafs and new shocks for a 3" drop? 

I had an extra set, so I took one for each side that was flat and shortened it, you can see the cut end in the picture. I may have removed a very short bottom one so the stack wouldn't be higher just stiffer.

All the 3 inch U bolts in the kits did not seem right to me either, when I did my 710 with the H165 I bought some that were the right ID to fit my axle from a spring shop. I also made my own 2 inch blocks to deal with the large diameter stud on the top of the spring. 

Here are some before and after photo's and the blocks.

5666374736_cf02e4b605_b.jpg

5688096069_cfc35c819e_b.jpg

5688107813_6dd0d32842_b.jpg