My new 521

Datsunthug

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks flatcat!! Brakes are kinda important.

Went around the block in the ride!!!!! Hood off, no muffler rear brake locking up occasionally, and maybe a sticky thermo?! Valve cover seemed way too hot compared to the radiator? Going to Check stuff tomorrow after it cools

• Like 1

New motor might run hotter since its tight.

I drill a 1/8 hole in stat if you don't have a bypass on the intake metal line to lower atat housing. Some early 510/521s have this some don't.

brake in bake looks fine maybe you just missing the rubber cover. I cant tell really.

if brakes lock upsoemtime a bad cylinder will leak on the shoes.

I also had a new master pump up and wont release. I had to pop the valve ever few miles to get home.(taiwain China masters they sell now. always buy 2 of hydraulic parts as they don't last long as the Jap made ones. Have it on hand. I been thru 4 mMaster Cyl in 15 years

• Like 2

The cooling system was burbing like a rookie who chugged a mickeys 40 oz

Though I was the only idiot to still drink that stuff. Oh wait.....you said rookie. Well, f&^k it, I still like it! Good to see her running again. Do the disk conversion up from and I promise you won't hate yourself for doing it. If I hadn't, I might not have avoided a stray tire off a boat trailer on Friday. Soon much better!

• Like 2

Trying to get the timing right is frustrating?!?!

The internals ( timing chain and sprockets) are correct

11/1 lobes up on cam 12 o'clock position

Engine tdc

Bright links of chain on sprocket marks

42 links between sprockets

The problem is the dizzy is either all the way advanced or all the way retarded ( have pulled oil pump 3x trying to get it right) for it to run half wY descent

What am I missing?

I'm hoping I didn't f*^k up the timing chain??

I double checked it a bunch of times to make sure

Maybe I'm just not catching the right spline on the oil pump drive gear?

• Like 1

Watched it about 20 times. I especially like the part about "you have to be a total idiot" to get it wrong. I'm hoping that I'm not.

And yes 10 and 2 you're right

I'll try again when I get home.

Otherwise it's coming together as expected.

Got the ngk plugs and replaced the thermo just to be safe. I Jerry rigged the exhaust but it needs everything replaced from the muffler back.

Tires are fine for around the block but are cracked out like a junkie needing rehab

• Like 1