• Please log in to reply
239 replies to this topic

#41 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Cars:74 620/KA24DE & 2015 SRT392

Posted 31 March 2016 - 05:05 AM

Do you run a ebrake on you truck with all disc?

Not currently. The PO never hooked it up and even removed the passenger side cable completely and CUT the drivers side cable... :sneaky:

I bought two new cables online and will have to figure it out (after I get the speedo cable leak fixed) because it makes me nervous when parking in public areas...

Do you have any insight on the parking brake?

Proper Capitalization is the difference between: I helped my Uncle jack off a horse and I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse. 

#42 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,521 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 77 620kc, 02 300m, 96 s10

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:03 AM

Maybe keep a set of chocks with you if worried.

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

you assume i have any fucks

#43 dueceduece11

dueceduece11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Cars:73 620

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:29 AM

Not right now. I'm currently doing a rear disc swap on on my truck. If you can would you post a pic of Your rear set up?

#44 2wheel-lee

2wheel-lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • Cars:1975 Datsun 620, 2006 Dodge Ram w/Cummins

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:51 AM

I'm also in the process of doing a disc brake swap using the Isuzu rear calipers. I just sent the hubs to be redrilled for a different pattern, so I haven't installed anything yet. Upon initial inspection, I don't believe the stock 620 cables will cleanly adapt to the Isuzu calipers. Though maybe with some creativity, they can be hacked to work, I doubt they're long enough to reach the calipers in the rear position. I might get some brake cables for a 1988 Isuzu longbed pickup and see if I can make them work, though I expect to still have to do something creative where they join the hand-lever cable. It's also wonky how the cable has to bend after it leaves the caliper.

Nonetheless, I'm curious to see how people have addressed this.   

#45 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:36 PM

I can't even tell you what kind of disks they are. I'll try to snap a pic this weekend and see what you guys think.

Proper Capitalization is the difference between: I helped my Uncle jack off a horse and I helped my Uncle Jack off a horse. 

#46 hobospyder

hobospyder

El Matador

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,521 posts
  • Cars:73 620, 77 620kc, 02 300m, 96 s10

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:52 PM

i've done all around disks on mine. i'm pretty sure my set up includes isuzu rear rotors (it says it on the caliper bracket) went with rear mounting location for the calipers since the ebrake cable would have to do a pretty hard bend to make it to the caliper with front mount, but the stock 620 cables aren't long enough so i've just been keeping a set of chocks in my truck as a fail safe if i park on unlevel ground. have actually used them a few times too but always pointing up hill so i just drive forward a few feet and grab the chock before taking off. 

might try stealing the cables from one of my lwb trucks later on.

Lol you really think he would tell anyone, ahh yes Mr. Peterson I was taken a piss and everything got dark like there was an eclipse, when I look back to see what was making the shade when WHAM!! Cock hit me right in the face. I don't know whose it was but we could match up the bruise.

you assume i have any fucks

#47 dueceduece11

dueceduece11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:05 PM

Thanks for the help

#48 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:24 PM

Here are some pics... Do these look like Izusu calipers? That spring thing on the piston is the parking brake.

reardisk_zpsdg85wncb.jpg

reardisk3_zpsql48nsad.jpg

reardisk2_zpsi8g2nlzd.jpg

#49 2wheel-lee

2wheel-lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:52 PM

Yes, those are the Isuzu calipers. I can't quite see, but is the cable connected? It looks like the cable is going toward the rear of the truck???

I will have to replumb the lines on my rear axle. I'm not a fan of the goofy line connections as intended with the kits. Be careful with that line - it looks like it could get pinched between the axle and the bump stop. 

Did you cut the back plate off or press the bearing out? I pressed the bearing out so I can send the axles to get reworked. 

#50 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 08:59 PM

No, there are no cables connected. The place where the clevis pin would go is empty. They were installed by the PO who removed one cable and cut the other one. Now I see what you mean about the weird angle, it is almost like they have to pull in an upwards direction....

#51 dueceduece11

dueceduece11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

I Was going to press mine out but I ended up cutting them.0328161301_zpssjxosbme.jpg

#52 jrock4224

jrock4224

loves the Ritchard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,961 posts
  • Cars:71 521, 72 goon, 72 4dr, 71 1200, 97 2dr Tahoe, 60 impala,

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

you guys should just stop ... manual e brakes wont work on a lowered truck ... we ended up having to shave the whole ebrake assembly off the calipers due to massive interference with frame rail... massive .. not like a little ...... even rear mounted if your lower then 3 inches then your gonna have issues ... ended up using a line lock and a switch out of a roadster that was two position... works good holds for a week at a time .. 

It's very rare to find a ...
1/Datsun nut. ( they actually know and appreciate the work and expense that went into the build) and who also...
2/Can afford to buy it.

#53 2wheel-lee

2wheel-lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

you guys should just stop ... manual e brakes wont work on a lowered truck ... we ended up having to shave the whole ebrake assembly off the calipers due to massive interference with frame rail... massive .. not like a little ...... even rear mounted if your lower then 3 inches then your gonna have issues ... ended up using a line lock and a switch out of a roadster that was two position... works good holds for a week at a time .. 

HAHA....I can see my truck rolling out of my driveway after a week...or whenever the battery goes dead. By the way, these are not legal in many states that require safety inspections. Though I understand there are mechanical means of doing this. it's just not an overall safe way of going about it. 

I am curious about the clearance issue you mentioned. I can see in the images above that the activation lever appears to be inboard of the axle U-bolt, so I do see that there is a valid concern. 

#54 jrock4224

jrock4224

loves the Ritchard

• 10,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 11:10 AM

the clevis is way inboard and the caliper actually had to be shaved but the truck is really low .. i just stuck with my drums on mine ... and to be honest adn im not asshamed to admit this .. the rear drums seem to stop better then the disks on the rear .. or at least its not a discernible difference.....

and yes he found ou the limits of the system ... it was a little over a week .. 

1/Datsun nut. ( they actually know and appreciate the work and expense that went into the build) and who also...
2/Can afford to buy it.

#55 2wheel-lee

2wheel-lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 12:22 PM

Thanks again jrock for the heads-up. I'm already pretty well committed to going with rear discs, but it sounds like I will need to sort something out, as the truck will be lowered a bit - with probably about a 2" C-notch in the frame. Maybe make the notch to clear the caliper? Sounds a bit out there, but maybe...

Though I don't have the rear axle at home, I may assemble the bracket and caliper this weekend and do a dry run for measurements. 

By the way, what year 620 were you working on?

#56 jrock4224

jrock4224

loves the Ritchard

• 10,961 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:20 PM

CD66D144-0A7B-465C-82B6-F0A8EA960EF0_zps

anywhere close to this low ...... runs a c notch also ... but to be honest most lowered datsuns will cause a interference with the frame rail 

2/Can afford to buy it.

#57 dueceduece11

dueceduece11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 05:11 PM

Jon your the best

#58 flatcat19

flatcat19

Back in Black

• 20,475 posts
  • Cars:Smaller. Better. Slower. Lower.

Posted 01 April 2016 - 06:20 PM

You're*

You can't hang if your nuts haven't dropped...it's physics

#59 DatsuNissanLove

DatsuNissanLove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Cars:73 Datsun 620

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

Sick truck dude.. im in LA aswell.. should cruise someday

#60 2wheel-lee

2wheel-lee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:44 PM

I'm not far away, either. At the boarder of LA and OC.