'74 Cactus Green

FrankRizzo

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks^. Im scamming a lot of ideas from your build!

They are old school Recaros. I have to have the backs almost 90 degrees and slid all the way back and Im still cramped...and I'm 5" 8":

recaros_zpsoruwdpca.jpg

I went to the local Carrier dealer today and picked up my new A/C unit and coil. All the warehouse guys came out to check out the truck. I was kinda embarrassed.

FWIW: if you are thinking about "shaving" your bed hooks off, I'd advise against it if you are going to use the 620 as a truck.....

carrier2_zpsi0pawwpe.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks^. Im scamming a lot of ideas from your build!

They are old school Recaros. I have to have the backs almost 90 degrees and slid all the way back and Im still cramped...and I'm 5" 8":

recaros_zpsoruwdpca.jpg

I went to the local Carrier dealer today and picked up my new A/C unit and coil. All the warehouse guys came out to check out the truck. I was kinda embarrassed.

FWIW: if you are thinking about "shaving" your bed hooks off, I'd advise against it if you are going to use the 620 as a truck.....

carrier2_zpsi0pawwpe.jpg

Mine had 720 tie downs bolted on the side of the box

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

One thing that bothered me from the get-go was the truck was waaaay too loud. Its almost embarrassing in the city. So I took it to the muffler shop this weekend and yanked the muffler and installed a Walker turbo with a 8" Cherry Bomb glasspak as a resonator and ran the tip all the way to the back. It sounds soo much better now and I'm not sucking in exhaust fumes with the windows down at a stop light. The old exhaust dumped right before the rear wheel on the drivers side:

Out:

oldmuff_zpsumv2cfku.jpg

tip_zpsy2ras6so.jpg

• Like 6

still too loud

Well, the phone is like 2 feet away from the exhaust tip.

It is 10X quieter than before the muffler/resonator swap. Because the exhaust runs all the way out the back now, it is much quieter in the cab and it does not really growl until about 3000 RPM. It's a KA24DE motor. 

I love it.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Do you run a ebrake on you truck with all disc?

Not currently. The PO never hooked it up and even removed the passenger side cable completely and CUT the drivers side cable... :sneaky:

I bought two new cables online and will have to figure it out (after I get the speedo cable leak fixed) because it makes me nervous when parking in public areas...

Do you have any insight on the parking brake?

• Like 1

I'm also in the process of doing a disc brake swap using the Isuzu rear calipers. I just sent the hubs to be redrilled for a different pattern, so I haven't installed anything yet. Upon initial inspection, I don't believe the stock 620 cables will cleanly adapt to the Isuzu calipers. Though maybe with some creativity, they can be hacked to work, I doubt they're long enough to reach the calipers in the rear position. I might get some brake cables for a 1988 Isuzu longbed pickup and see if I can make them work, though I expect to still have to do something creative where they join the hand-lever cable. It's also wonky how the cable has to bend after it leaves the caliper.

Nonetheless, I'm curious to see how people have addressed this.   

• Like 1

i've done all around disks on mine. i'm pretty sure my set up includes isuzu rear rotors (it says it on the caliper bracket) went with rear mounting location for the calipers since the ebrake cable would have to do a pretty hard bend to make it to the caliper with front mount, but the stock 620 cables aren't long enough so i've just been keeping a set of chocks in my truck as a fail safe if i park on unlevel ground. have actually used them a few times too but always pointing up hill so i just drive forward a few feet and grab the chock before taking off. 

might try stealing the cables from one of my lwb trucks later on.

• Like 2

Yes, those are the Isuzu calipers. I can't quite see, but is the cable connected? It looks like the cable is going toward the rear of the truck???

I will have to replumb the lines on my rear axle. I'm not a fan of the goofy line connections as intended with the kits. Be careful with that line - it looks like it could get pinched between the axle and the bump stop. 

Did you cut the back plate off or press the bearing out? I pressed the bearing out so I can send the axles to get reworked. 

• Like 1

No, there are no cables connected. The place where the clevis pin would go is empty. They were installed by the PO who removed one cable and cut the other one. Now I see what you mean about the weird angle, it is almost like they have to pull in an upwards direction....

• Like 1