Transmission noise help

Knett720

So I have just developed a noise coming from the transmission. Started softly yesterday and has gotten louder as of this morning. I don't know much about transmissions or how to describe noise so have a video for you to listen. But sounds maybe pilot bearing? Flywheel coming off? Not sure so take a listen. Won't let me link from my phone but just posted on YouTube. Search Nissan 720 transmission noise. Just a short 20 second video.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop driving it first. Now get it up in the air and check the oil level. If you haven't changed it and do not know when it was changed last, now is a good time to do it. The fill bung is about half way up the side. On trucks usually the driver's. You should be able to stick your finger in and touch the old oil if full. You can fill it up through this hole or empty by removing the bottom bung. It holds 2 liters or a smidgen over 2 US Qts. Be sure to get GL-4 80w90 or anything saying brass/copper or 'yellow metal' safe Do NOT use GL-5 in it.

The bottom drain bung has a magnet on it, so inspect and then clean it off so the next change you can observe any added metal filings.

If the transmission is low the cost of 2 liters is a cheap fix. If transmission is toast... same thing.

• Like 1

Yeah right now it's just sitting in my schools autos ship where I'm gona try and Jack it up to take a look. And if I can will try changing fluid but it sounds it could be something else. But wouldn't hurt to chang it and see if it gets better.

Cause it started getting loud on my way to school so pulled it into the shop to take the video and try and see what's wrong with it. Gona try and have a friend bring me some fluid for it and hopefully that helps it. Hopefully that's all it needs as this is my daily and wouldn't wana have to rip the trans out to replace anything. Only been making noise since last night on my way home. Maybe 10miles on it since the noise started so I haven't gone far like this.

If the oil was low, or gone, and by adding oil, it gets a lttle better, but doesn't go away, or it had oil, and new oil doesn't do anything to quiet the noise,

then most likely you have a bearing failure.

Bearings are fairly cheap.

Like Mike says, don't drive it !!

It will just get worse, and damage harder to replace parts, like gears.

Yeah I'm gona change fluid and see what that does. But im feeling like it's a bad pilot bearing. Part is only like $4 but what sucks is that I'll have to pull the trans to replace it and this is my daily. Hopefully this trans isn't to hard to pull out.

It makes noise with the clutch engaged, thus the crankshaft and the transmission input shaft that rides inside the pilot bushing are moving together so they can't be making noise.

It's not the release bearing as the release bearing is only spinning and under load when the clutch pedal is down and the transmission disengaged.

It's going to be inside the transmission so nothing to see by looking at the outside. If you raise it at the auto shop be ready to drain and replace the oil. This is the only thing you can do to it that just might help. Anything else the transmission will need to come out.

I hate to say this, but if it came on fast like you say, you have likely lost a bearing.

If you keep running it and a bearing comes out of the race and goes thru the gears, you could likely lose the whole transmission meaning it will be cheaper to replace than rebuild it, I had this happen to me last fall, it destroyed the cluster gear shaft.

Front lower bearing carnage.

DSCN4514.JPG

Busted front bearing cover.

DSCN4513.JPG

Missing gear on cluster gear shaft.

DSCN4521.JPG

The gear and remaining shaft.

DSCN4522.JPG

Busted teeth where the ball bearing went thru.

DSCN4536.JPG

It wasted the transmission, I had to put another one in it, I had no reverse because the shaft had been busted off, and the only usable gear was 4th, otherwise it just chewed up more gears.