My 68 Goon

68Goon

So I have been lurking for awhile. This is my first 510. I have wNted one since one of my friends came home with an awesome 510 2door coupe. I think they are great cars. So that same friends dad has had this in his garage for quite a while. I have been bugging him to buy it for what seems for ever. Finally I got the call that he was selling it and gave me first shot at it. We made a deal and I'm so happy. I'm a wagon guy at heart. So we are supper excited to have it in our family of cars. Let me know what you guys think.

20160206_162726_zpsbvuaebfa.jpg

20160206_162732_zpspzhixrnk.jpg

20160206_162807_zpscdmplf5c.jpg

20160206_162807_zpscdmplf5c.jpg

20160206_162838_zpshy7pdlmm.jpg

20160206_163022_zpsttntwtau.jpg

20160206_163034_zpshl2vd1yx.jpg

20160206_163142_zpsx1u8adig.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only that year had no head rests, license light in bumper, opposing wipers, key in dash and no rear side markers. Pretty cool somewhat rare goon!!. Someone put L16SSS Hitachi SU carbs on it too!!

Welcome to Ratsun

Thank you. Excited to get started

What are your plans?

Unknown at the moment. Right now I'm going threw the fuel system. Then getting it running and driving. Originally my plans were to go crazy but now I think I'm going to keep it simple. I want to lower it probably 2 in or so. Different tires and larger panasports. Completely redo the interior, paint it, and drive the heck out of it. I would like to have it operational enough to bring it to Canby and Blue Lake this year since I'm in the Portland area.

• Like 3

N

That's a really nice buy. I don't think there are any '68 510 models in UK at all.... and I'm pretty sure they never sold them here with that dash only the one with the silver instrument panel like 71dimer's one. I've had a '69 model but that's as early as I have seen here. I'd definitely buy a wagon given the chance but I think there are only two left here so not much hope!

Congrats on a 68 goon!  I have one too...here's some pics of when I first picked it up! :)

NICE. Thats a very clean and complete 68. Thank you for the pics as I can use them for reference. In those photos is the car pretty much stock? Looks like it but I am not a Datsun historian by any means. I have two sets of door handles for the inside and curious which ones are stock. My plan is to keep it mostly stock except for the altitude and some proformance mods (IE: breaks, exhaust, wheels, tires, tinted windows.) Other than that I would like it to appear stock.

N

That's a really nice buy. I don't think there are any '68 510 models in UK at all.... and I'm pretty sure they never sold them here with that dash only the one with the silver instrument panel like 71dimer's one. I've had a '69 model but that's as early as I have seen here. I'd definitely buy a wagon given the chance but I think there are only two left here so not much hope!

Dont feel bad. I know a lot of people that have datsuns and most of them only know of three in Washington including mine. I know where the other two sit.

68Goon: No problem I thought you might like to see a stock-ish group of photos...but to answer your question yes it's stock but for some reason my dash is not a 68, I've learned since buyign it that it's a 69 dash, now I don't know if that came that way from the factory since they did funny things back then (like install different years parts on transitioning cars) but it is a stock dash.  :)

Scooter Stuff: Sadly yes they were Camaro seats, I say sadly because I didn't know it at the time when I took them off to replace with stock Datsun seats and I sold them on Craigslist for WAAAAAAY too cheap.  It wasn't until after I sold them in no time at all that I look into why I got so much interest, that I realized I could have gotten a LOT more for them...oh well.  :P

Oh and for some motiviation, here's some before/after pics to show you it doesn't take too much to make a big difference in our Datsun's apperance! :)

Before: Old nasty carpet that came with it.
a8a8_3.jpg
DSCN4280.jpg
DSCN4281.jpg
DSCN4304.jpg

After Carpet: New and clean (well still needs a vacuum)
DSCN4307.jpg
DSCN4317.jpg

Seats Before: These came with the wagon and while they were headress-less like true 1968 Datsun seats, they weren't stock and sat higher due to the little feet it had on them. Sold them on CL, only to find out later they were actualy from a old school Camaro/Firebird and worth some $$$...oh well.
DSCN4313.jpg

Seats After: Got these from a local guy with a old man golfer upholstery tongue.gif
DSCN4253.jpg

After Ratsunizing them:
DSCN4262.jpg

Before: Original blue door panels and rear seat were pretty thrashed
DSCN4072.jpg
a977_3.jpg

After: Replaced all 7 busted door panels and seats with black ones
DSCN4111.jpg
DSCN4115.jpg
DSCN4116.jpg
DSCN4118.jpg
DSCN4320.jpg