1979 Kingcab & 1973 standard

got ban

New here to the forums and to Datsuns in general, just purchased my first one from a man who owned it for twenty so odd years and used it as a work/farm truck. When we where talking about it he said the last time he drove it he hit something and it pulled out some of the wires underneath the truck and ripped off the muffler, got it back to my garage and it's wiring was perfect besides a missing fuse. As for the muffler my dad and I have had a motorcycle exhaust sitting around our shop for years for what ever reason. So I just slipped it in the end of the broken pipe for now so it doesn't give me a headache when I drive out.

http://i.imgur.com/oUwQ7TD.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for now fix the things that are wrong with it like the rear brakes, replace some broken lenses and fix the driver side trail light cause the man broke the pins the nuts go on when tracing a broken wire that didn't exist, maybe lower it a couple of inches, not really sure what to do after that I'm 21 and not planning on getting rid of it at all, So I have plenty of time to tinker and make what I want it to be. I've thought about going full show but I'm not sure about it yet. My aunt had a full show Datsun that used to be called "black water" that she showed me pictures of and it looked amazing, but I also really like the sticker kit and patina it gotten over the years so I'm kinda in the middle.

• Like 2

So the body appears to be solid, minus a bit of rust in the cab corner. It also runns extremely well once it warms up but is cold blooded at first, shouldn't need more then a carb cleaning maybe an oil change, down side is i saw a wet spot on the trailer where the rear diff was so i believe it was/is leaking, my dad thinks all it needs is the seals replaced but he also said it could have been another car we towed that he knows leaked there. Guess ill have to check when i get the chance. Cool thing about the truck is it has all the block off plates for the radio and on the console, and the kick board on the driver side still has the insert you pop out to install the speaker. I a,m going to install a radio im not going to put it in the dash probably in the glove box with a custom box to house all the speakers. It probably wont have anything more then 2 10's and a couple of 6x9's ontop.

Pu4B4wz.jpg

• Like 2

Before it's too late better change the rear diff oil GL-5 90 w and transmission oil GL-4 90w or Dexron for automatic. Clean the diff off with brake cleaner and let dry, check daily for a while to see if and where it's leaking. If at all it's likely the pinion seal where the drive shaft joins it.

• Like 1

Sweet ride.  Congrats!  The KC is coveted around these parts!

Make sure the carrier bearing on the driveshaft isn't really loose.  The bearing itself is usually good, but the rubber isolator falls apart and that can take out the diff gears.  They're cheap enough on Rockauto where you'll find most of the parts you need.  

• Like 1

Went to a junk yard and saw three 620's and like six or seven 720's kinda sad that they are there but on the bright side I got a lens for my turn signal.

What years? Lots of little things people need on those.

You could fund a lot of stuff for yours with some proper planning.

Dizzy pedastals, matchbox dizzys, 4x4 leaf springs, 620 window regulators, 620 tach. The list goes on...

• Like 1

i know for a fact a 77 but the other two i don't know, none have the tach but one has a clock that some asshat smashed in. like i said though im new to the whole datsun scene so if you have any thing they may have send me a message with a picture and where to look and i can check when i go back to buy more stuff for my truck. would honestly rather stip them to nothing and have the parts used then let them sit and be ruined. honestly im already taking seats out of one to replace mine till i get them redone and probably a new cluster to replace my broken speedo.

zFAYT3A.jpg

7snXU18.jpg

pV5Lkxe.jpg

• Like 3

(so I'm not sure how you guys handle double posts but here it goes.)

So I've been thinking and I know what my current plans are, step one is getting it dependable and road ready, fix rear breaks, install new seats till I get my old ones redone, put gas in it cause it ran out today while we where loading another car into the trailer (whoopsie). After that probably gonna lower it a couple of inches buy a solid fiberglass camper shell, and install radio some where other then dash or console. Long term (5-10 years probably) once I get the cash and knowledge is probably an engine swap (I'm wanting a sr20 red top) with my dads help it will be difficult but doable. With that I'll also swap to a sturdier rear end as well. So basically I'm "ruining it" but get to learn and get what I want it to be on the process.

• Like 2

while there is another one near me for sale it was kinda messed up a lot by the previous owner, like the three in the junkyard where better. besides i really like the patina look this truck has and I'm not gonna paint it or change anything really cosmetic except lowering and camper shell. For the time being I'm not gonna change anything that I can't undo, if I get enough extra money to buy the other one I might end up getting it but i would basically need a new bed for it, and another 12 hour trip to pick it up and bring it back (while not long for some, it's a lot when your towing truck is on its last leg.)

• Like 1
  • got ban changed the title to 1979 Kingcab & 1973 standard