L16 with dual carbs

76_620

So I purchased a rebuilt L16 stock compression, stock head, cam and all. I have a set of dual weber carbs 40doce. What would be my advantage, or disadvantages of running these on the L16 ? Any suggestions ? Or tips ? Will it perhaps make the motor faster ? Will they Just suck up more gas ? Worth it ? Not worth it ?? Thanks fellow Datsun members.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A little faster, don't forget the L16 cam is 'sized' for a much smaller carb. Like a cat licking it own ass it will use more gas because it can. Most of the gas increase will be due to the driver, to some extent the carbs can be properly tuned to give a reasonable mileage. Again these are not primarily for good mileage but all out performance.

A slightly 'hotter' cam will allow the engine to make use of the better fuel induction, a lower restriction exhaust pipe and muffler, a little more. Again the mileage is going to drop farther.

• Like 2

what kind of cam modifications would be good for this motor ? what steps would i need to take, purchase a whole new cam ? is there any online websites that sell preformance cams for l16? and i am running shorty headers, what type of exaust system would be ideal for this setup ? thanks, im new to this so give me some slack :angel: :confused: :thumbup:

what kind of cam modifications would be good for this motor ? what steps would i need to take, purchase a whole new cam ? is there any online websites that sell preformance cams for l16? and i am running shorty headers, what type of exaust system would be ideal for this setup ? thanks, im new to this so give me some slack :angel: :confused: :thumbup:

The stock L20B cam is supposed to be an almost exact copy of the L16/18 SSS engine which had dual SU carbs. If you get one for $20 or less try it and see.

If the pipes are in good shape leave it and just get a turbo muffler with lower restriction. If everything needs changing, increase the pipe size no more than 1/4" and a new turbo style muffler. Bigger isn't better.

• Like 1

Well if it works... it works. Maybe it could work even better. Saying it's an adjustment of the idle circuits. I'm hampered by not knowing much about a non stock carb but it's probably too big for an L16. However I think they can be adjusted/modified/tuned. These are used on a wide variety of engines and levels of build just because they can be tuned.

• Like 1

^Wrong.

Heres mine, got a L20B cam for like 20 bucks (same as Japanese SSS L16 cam), canon intake with 40s. Love it. Oh and 4 doors too!

There's other ways to make better power (probably for less). This is the route I chose because I wanted to keep the the motor numbers matching, and chose side drafts because I like the way they look and sound. If you are just looking to make power, you could probably pick up an L20B for what your carbs cost you. Way more torque/power for cheap and simple drop-er-in swap. Throw your carbies on one of those and you've got a fun little car.

IMG_6756%20Large_zpsm2h0qoqe.jpg

IMG_6559_zpszmjiumln.jpg

• Like 2

^Wrong.

Heres mine, got a L20B cam for like 20 bucks (same as Japanese SSS L16 cam), canon intake with 40s. Love it. Oh and 4 doors too!

There's other ways to make better power (probably for less). This is the route I chose because I wanted to keep the the motor numbers matching, and chose side drafts because I like the way they look and sound. If you are just looking to make power, you could probably pick up an L20B for what your carbs cost you. Way more torque/power for cheap and simple drop-er-in swap. Throw your carbies on one of those and you've got a fun little car.

IMG_6756%20Large_zpsm2h0qoqe.jpg

did you change the cam yourself ? was it pretty simple ? really nice setup by the way, this is what i am most likely going to do run the 40's on the stock l 16, did you make that heat shield yourself ??

did you change the cam yourself ? was it pretty simple ? really nice setup by the way, this is what i am most likely going to do run the 40's on the stock l 16, did you make that heat shield yourself ??

Cam swap was easy, I had the head off to do a head gasket and stem seals. Just use the stock rockers and keep them in the same spots they came out of. Lots of info on cams and such on here, search bar and the top right is your friend. Also look into swapping heads for something with bigger ports or doing some work to the one you've got. Research and figure out the best option for your budget and skill level.

Heat shield is from techno toy tuning. Kinda expensive but a nice piece for sure.

• Like 1

Hainz is right, if you find an l20b you can have it in there in an afternoon if your feeling ambitious. An l20b cam will wake it up some, but youll have more satisfaction putting the whole motor in, and putting the webers on that.

If you have the intake and the carbs allready you could allways try it

you use the oil pan and motor mounts from the L16 and find a 200mm 6 bolt flywheel as L20 have 6 bolt crank. YOu have a 5 bolt so your flywheel wount fit. But if you find a 6bolt 200mm then everything fits right in.

Key is finding a good motor.

Otherwise just put a 32/36 if it dont have it already and just drive it.

Oh you need a find out what type of linkage to use also for the sidedrafts as some use cable and soem the old rod linkage. This is motre than a one day swap but can be done easily if parts all avail and this preplanned out.

Too me your not ready yet to do this. How long you have this car.

You got points or electric ignition . Tell us some history.

Im working on my 521 truck all the time and tired of it. head gasket went at X mas then yesterday had to push start cause the starter selinoid went bad. FUCK!!!!!!!!!

76 620 you want listening to me

Is your head a stock 210 head? If yes just stop as this is the WORST head you can put sidedrafts on. End of story.

Buy the time you but a L20 cam in this L16(maybe fuck it up also) it would be ezer to put a whole L20 in the car.

Put a weber 32/36 on there and just drive it.

We'll have to agree to disagree Hainz. I guarantee swapping the cam is easier that swapping the motor.

I have a 210 head on my car, port matched the intake and I have no complaints. 

32/36 is junk and besides the point. He has a pair of 40s aleady

We'll have to agree to disagree Hainz. I guarantee swapping the cam is easier that swapping the motor.

I have a 210 head on my car, port matched the intake and I have no complaints. 

32/36 is junk and besides the point. He has a pair of 40s aleady

32/36 is junk?

• Like 1

The idea of getting rid of dual side drafts for 32/36 = junk.

The only head that will properly swap onto an L16 and at the same time, is a slight improvement is a closed chamber one like the A87. (the Holy Grail of L4 heads would be a 219 or V912) They have the same intake port size but larger valves. But you will take a small hit on the compression. You can open up the 210 intake ports and even put larger intakes in... if doing that might as well put larger exhaust valves in too. Larger valves are like a small cam increase.

The valve lift on the L16 cam is 0.3937" and the L20B cam is 0.413"

• Like 2

Mattyhacks

Hope he dont drop the chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

510 motor pulls are the ezest

is .412-390=.022 even worth bothering with in a 210 head

to get the moneys worth out of those sidedrafts is go L20 and bolt them on or get a Bigger Cam say 460-480 range and new Rocker arms lash pads retainers and springs.  this will in the 500$ range all said and done.(w head redone also or added to the cost

• Like 1

The key factor in persuading the OP to go ahead with the side drafts for a daily driver is....is he ready for the variables that come with this setup?

- tuning (you need to have both carbs synchronised using a correct synch tool)

- correct jetting for your application, if they are anything like Mikunis....you're going to have lots of fun with jetting...or flat out get frustrated and hate them, I have a jet kit, you'll need one too because depending on atmospheric pressures and altitudes, you'll need to swap them, yes you can find a middle of the road "sweet spot" but that takes fun out of running side drafts, the neat thing (about mikunis) is it takes 2 minutes to do and go, don't know about webers.

mileage......uhm.....lol.....sux.....16mpg is what I'm getting, granted I run a monster 48mm single side draft mikuni, but it's about the same as the guys running dual 40s are getting....however...they generate good power and a unique sweet sound :thumbup:

With the recommended 32/36...slap it on...tune it and go...good mileage included.

Mattyhacks

Hope he dont drop the chain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As per the repair manual i made the proper shaped piece of wood, I'm sure he could too. Filled the timing cover with slivers of wood but oh well its an L series. Ive dropped washers n shit down there probably