scooter

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 years later...

Hi there fellow Nissan/Datsun fans!

I purchased a '71 Hako about 2yrs ago, and I finally have time to work on the car.  I'll get this out of the way - I was/am a hardcore American Muscle guy, but have fallen in love with the "Japanese Muscle" cars if you will.  That being said, I know very little about the JDM cars/and the same goes for their powerplants.  I am debating between installing an L28 with a supercharger (hence me posting here) or a VQ35HR.  I know, I get a TON of hate for evening mentioning the VQ series engine, but hard to hate on new technology.

Anyway, I am posting here in the hope I can speak with you folks about the L-series (specifically L28 punched to a 3.0 or 3.1) and what I can expect with putting on a supercharger, etc.?  And, how hard it is to find an L-series supercharger?  

If not, I think the max I can expect in terms of HP out of a 3.0-3.1L is roughly 305-320HO, is that correct?  I did ride in my Japanese buddy's (4DR) Hako with a 3.1L with about 310HP and I have to admit, it scoots.  But... but... 310HP or so seems so... not what I need.  Or so I have unfoundedly told myself.  Are my rose-colored American Muscle glasses already throwing me for a loop?  I guess if I could get around 400 streetable HP, I'd somehow be satisfied?

Whatever.  I would love your guys' advice on building a hi-HP L28 and what to expect.  Also, it seems that maintenance/adjustments are often with these engines, in particular with valvetrain?  Is this true?

Thank you guys in advance,
Archie

The first thing you should know about classic JDM cars is a 71 Hakosuka Skyline GT-R deserves WAY more respect. Why would you put a cast iron block, single overhear cam, two valves per cylinder L28, or hack it up to get a VQ in it? Punch an RB26 to 3.0L with a cam and header you can make 350hp at 9K rpm, and you won't have to adjust the valves.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/29/2023 at 11:41 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Build one of the dual cam 3.3 liter motors like Ralph has. I think he said the cylinder head casting alone cost over $15k.

That would be super nice.  I am currently looking at building a 2.8 to a 3.1 atm.  I wanted to go to a 3.2, but I was told by a good friend and confidant here that the crank alone is roughly ¥500,000 (or roughly $3000.00USD) and I am already going to be about $7500.00 into this without that.  But I should be getting roughly 310-320hp out of this build.  Anyway, what's the best way to reach this Ralph guy?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, IkigaiHako said:

That would be super nice.  I am currently looking at building a 2.8 to a 3.1 atm.  I wanted to go to a 3.2, but I was told by a good friend and confidant here that the crank alone is roughly ¥500,000 (or roughly $3000.00USD) and I am already going to be about $7500.00 into this without that.  But I should be getting roughly 310-320hp out of this build.  Anyway, what's the best way to reach this Ralph guy?

His insta is @california_hako

I know he's here too, but can't remember his tag.