Brown Datsun

Mysta2

garage3.jpg

I bought a '79 today. I've wanted one of these trucks since high school (in the late nineties)

Garage2.JPG

I'm sure a lot of you guys were aware of this truck on Craigslist up in Everett. Assuming it isn't stolen it was a heck of a deal.

Storage2.JPG

Plans include getting it running, getting it stopping, cleaning up the interior. Lowering it maybe 3" with blocks in the back and adjustments in the front. Adding energy suspensions full bushing catalog, maybe a new radiator or a rebuild with an electric fan.

Garage1.JPG

Then rebuilding the wiring harness, cleaning up the engine bay, maybe relocating the battery to under the bed, wheels (undecided between vintage Japanese 15s or something like TE-37s or SW388s), bed liner, and bucket seats.

Follow that with a disk brake kit, engine rebuild/swap, sound deadening the interior, simple stereo, maybe even get into some chassis stiffening.

I'd love to swap to the earlier grill if this is possible. Is it a direct swap?

All of this stuff was in the bed when I bought it, and there are a couple of brackets that I can't identify:

parts1.JPG

I don't know what the cover to the left of the gas cap is, the bracket between the side badge and the rear view mirror, or the bracket between the hub cap and the headlight bracket. Also is the console the stock piece?

Edited by Mysta2
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun Mysta2.

Just so you know the '79 has disc brakes already so you don't exactly need a kit, but to replace them with later 720 or D-21 Hardbody calipers and rotors. Type disc brake swap into 620 into the search and start looking.

Stiffening? If you mean the frame no need as it's fully boxed. Stiffer suspension? well it is a truck designed for carrying up to 1,000 pounds so it is fairly stiff as it is. I find that it rides better with a load than empty. The weight makes the ride smoother. Drive it and see. Best thing for improving the quality of the ride is a new set of quality shocks.

Yes I find the earlier 620 grills much better to look at and they do pop right on without any changes.

• Like 1

I edited the first post to what it was originally supposed to be.

I didn't know they came with disks, thanks for that info King Rat. By stiffening I was thinking about tying a cage into the existing frame and suspension mounts toward the purpose of autocrossing, but that's a far off pipe dream.

All new suspension components will surely be on the bill.

I just wont be tying too much cash in it until I get the title in my name. I don't think that it is, but if the thing is stolen, I'm anxious to find out. I figure my worst case scenario is that I pay a couple hundred bucks to return someone's stolen truck to them. That sounds worth it.

Sweet truck. I love the diamond stamped canopy.

The rusted cover you are unsure about is the air filter cover for a Weber carb. That may indicate that you already have a Weber under there which is a bonus (usually, other times they are in such bad shape you end up starting over anyway)

The U shaped bracket by the rear view mirror may be the bracket for the center console. It would bolt to the body with the legs pointed up and then the center console would slide over it and screw in to the legs on the sides.

No idea on the third one.

• Like 1

It has a crap interior...

That's actually a bit of a lie, it's not that bad, I might consider doing plaid, but that might be too Bavarian. One of the POs put a decent bench in there (hence the removal of the console) it's a little damp though, it's loose, and I'm too tall for it. I'd like to put some slimmer buckets in there.

It does have a Weber. I'll need to figure out what it is and get a kit for it. I'd show you a picture of it to help me identify, but the upload bar is stalled.

It's a DGAV 32/36.

weber.jpg

weberpart.jpg

Also note what it's sitting on :)

I was driving through Kent this morning and just happened across the brick and mortar location (the performance shop) for Carbs Unlimited. So I pulled a U turn and picked up a new air cleaner, rebuild kit and power valve for the Weber. I was pretty excited to stumble on that. I still don't have a wrench that I can get to the two inside bolts for the carb though. The outside two were 11mm, but I'm not sure that the inside ones are the same. I see Helicoils in my future.

Edited by Mysta2

I don't understand your statements about title,,,,,,,, BUT ,,,,,,,,,, if you never saw one .. i would put no money whatsoever into that truck until you do.. Getting a title for a non-titled vehicle in Washington can be done ,,but it is quite the commitment to get it done.

The bracket between the mirror and side badge is the console front bracket I believe, or at least part of it.  The other one I don't know, but could be part of the relay bracket that went on the passenger side wheelwell.

What makes you suspicious that it was stolen?  Here in WA, if you didn't get a title with the truck you're going to have a hell of a time registering it.  Bill of sale doesn't cut it.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

...Small round thing by gas door could be gas cap or oil cap for valve cover.

It's a gas cap, but it doesn't fit the truck. It's too big. Could possibly go with the blue gas door, which I'm shot in the dark guessing might be off a 720 or D21