Running rough randomly

Knett720

I have an 85 720 stock carb and all, electric choke(works fine) All systems seem to check out and work as they should. I have encountered a strange random issue where it runs fine and then randomly like crap and then fine again. When it'd be running like crap it would not idle well, couldn't drive at an even pace with throttle in one spot without it stumbling. Only ran fine with it floored. I'm gessing it could be a sticky needle or float? Need to look at level next time it's running like garbage to see if the bowl is over filled. When it runs fine everything checks out okay. Anyone else have this issue that could point me in a good direction? Thinking I need to just pull the carb apart a bit and clean things off.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably not the filter as it would restrict fuel delivery and he said it only runs well when floored. I would say the choke may be stuck on or part on. Flooring it engages the choke un-loader linkage. Another possibility could be the primary jet is part plugged. Floored, the secondary opens and every thing is fine.

With engine fully warmed up take the top off the air filter and look down. Should be like this...

carb720shouldlooklikethisLarge.jpg

Not like this or even part closed....

carb720notlikethisLarge.jpg

Yeah everything looks like it's in working order. Choke is fully open, not triggered by bumps. I'm feeling like something is getting a clog here and there. It's not doing it as often now but I still get it here and there. So I'll probly pull some stuff apart and clean it soon and see if that fixes it.

Yeah I'm guessing it's junk gunked up cause yesterday it started running like junk so I pulled over it died. Got it running enough to check the level and that's fine so I know it's not flooding the bowl at all. Must just be all gunked up and need cleaning to get all the crap outa the carb.