720 info for newbs

Lockleaf

Came across a pretty good thread on nicoclub full of tech info specific to 720s.

http://forums.nicoclub.com/diy-thread-for-720-s-t474226.html

Includes picture tutorials on Hitachi carb rebuilding, vacuum line placement, head removal and replacement, and more. Just thought I would share.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes getting fuel I checked all of that and carb and I found out that my distributor has nuff play in it to move the point to out of gap and I took off the dist and under it I think is the oil pump drive shaft and idk if that is supose to move as much as it does but I can pull it up and down and I can move it side to side

Right off the bat... the 720 L20B does not have a points distributor, so either you are mistaken or someone has swapped another distributor into it. Maybe a much older engine with a points distributor was swapped into your truck. Best thing???? Post a picture of what you have. If a points distributor.... it should be a matchbox, so lots of things to ask. Like does it have a points coil or a matchbox coil. If a matchbox coil it will fry the points in 50 to 150 miles of driving. Best find out what you have.

The distributor assy. number is stamped into the side of the case they all begin 22100-????? WHAT DOES YOURS SAY????

The non California distributor for the '80 2wd L20B is

22100-04W00

22100-04W60

22100-44W01

The rest are 4wd or automatic. You haven't said, so I assumed standard.

• Like 1

Basics of lowering-

Reindexing torsion bars up front and blocks out back will get you started.

Video on re indexing torsion bars. This is for another model of datsun, but all the basics are the same for the 720.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/63543-video-how-to-reindex/?do=findComment&comment=1126835

Drop spindles will get you farther while still giving you decent suspension articulation. 720 4x4 leaf springs are basically flat, where 2wd are fairly arched, so finding a set of those will net about 2 inches of drop in the back, so they pair well with the droptechs.

After that, getting lower starts to take some serious work.