Betty White: The new 280Z racecar. Ugly Betty's autocross replacement.

HRH

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine for free from my old roommate for staying here for 3 months rent-free.  They're great machines, but you really have to like using them.  I'd rather do natural workouts lifting heavy crap and articulating the body to get a workout.  Pun intended!!  :D

I just checked Mike, they are staked.  In which case you just need to find a machinist who will cut them out and find a common joint to put in.  Although I'm sure they'll be good for a long time.  Knock on wood, the driveshaft in Ugly Betty is still find, and the Maximas are no exception with staked drivelines.  They really do seem to last longer than replaceable u joints.

It's still being used for a playtoy/rally/abuse vehicle.  Got another fuel pressure regulator coming, my adjustable one is starting to take a shit.  $29 ebay, but it lasted two-years, so pretty cheap thrills.  Think the diaphragm is compromised.  Started getting odd readings on the gauge and she's been having some occasional odd characteristics.  So I'll fix that, then she's back to backup fun car.  Might do some rallycross with her this year if I get around to it.

As for the 280z, I tore into the timing cover for the L28ET yesterday since I found a very small piece of plastic in the oil pan that looked like timing chain guide.  Didn't find any missing pieces yet, but it does appear the head gasket has probably been done before on that motor, but the timing chain was left alone.  Tensioner shoe was worn, but not horrible.  There was, however, rtv on the slack side tensioner edge (probably not from factory) and someone had decided to put rtv on the crank pully before tightening the bolt down.  Not sure why they did that, but didn't find any bad things.

So I'll be changing out the timing chain and all, then buttoning back up with fresh gaskets and leaving the rest alone.  I do have a head stud kit coming if I need it, but considering everything looks fine on that front and the gasket has likely been changed since someone has been in the timing cover, I'm going to assume it's just fine.  Didn't have any water issues when it was running.

Now, to Sprague/Harrington to Regy's farm to yank a transmission out of a parts Z so I can shift!  Only a month until autocross.  This shit is getting close.  Wish I were closer on the car!

Fuck me, what a bitch pull.  Extricating transmissions from the middle of a wheat field sucks when the ground is semi-wet.  2.5 hours later....  Damn wheel was seized, so had to remove suspension pieces to get enough room to take driveshaft loose.  Then it didn't want to separate from the motor.  Finally got it, dust and dirt everywhere, dropping on me, looks like someone mudded this 280z Regy had.  I remember he bought it as a parts car.  Lots of dirt in the underside.  Tranny still had oil, so that's good.  Knock on wood it will last long enough.  Forgot to grab the flywheel, fortunately KA/Z flywheel fits and I have a few of those laying around.

EDIT, KA/Z flywheels are NOT the same as 280z.  Talked to the Datsun guru, apparently they are balanced differently.  They'll bolt up no problem, but you'll have a nasty vibration issue.  6 cylinder are 6 cylinder for a reason.  Fortunately Regy has another flywheel for me from his other 280, so that's good.

4 weekends left before the first autocross event.  Need to prep engine, have trans rebuilt, install wiring harness and make work, hook up a fuel pump, and sort tires/brakes/wheel adapters.  Haven't even checked to see if the 15x8s will fit nicely yet.  Should also change the windshield, but fuck that for right now.

This is going to be a roadkill level of commitment to get it running in time for April 9th's first event.

And I decided on Betty White because she's white, and also a kick-ass old broad! ;)

• Like 3

EDIT, KA/Z flywheels are NOT the same as 280z.  Talked to the Datsun guru, apparently they are balanced differently.  They'll bolt up no problem, but you'll have a nasty vibration issue.  6 cylinder are 6 cylinder for a reason.  Fortunately Regy has another flywheel for me from his other 280, so that's good.

Have to say this is unlikely. Please don't take this as being argumentative, closed chamber headed or that I am 'using'.

If balanced, then it would be keyed so it only went on a certain way to preserve the relation to the crank. AFAIK all L series flywheels are separately balanced so they can be installed in any of the six bolt positions. Same with the cranks, individually balanced. 

Agree on the title too.

• Like 2

Mike, he presented proof and yet you won't learn anything you druggie!!!

Lol, ridiculous.

And hrh, great name. Best of luck in your race against time (to be ready to race...)

• Like 1

Lol, Mike, I totally agree with you, HOWEVER, my Datsun guru has run into the issue, and he's built/played with more L motors than you and Hainz put together.  Consequently, I must investigate further.  So I started a thread in Gen Tech to get more answers.  So far I've found evidence to support both theories.  You know what, I haven't checked the Datsun bible, however.  I should go check that.

• Like 1

It's still being used for a playtoy/rally/abuse vehicle. Got another fuel pressure regulator coming, my adjustable one is starting to take a shit. $29 ebay, but it lasted two-years, so pretty cheap thrills. Think the diaphragm is compromised. Started getting odd readings on the gauge and she's been having some occasional odd characteristics. So I'll fix that, then she's back to backup fun car. Might do some rallycross with her this year if I get around to it.

As for the 280z, I tore into the timing cover for the L28ET yesterday since I found a very small piece of plastic in the oil pan that looked like timing chain guide. Didn't find any missing pieces yet, but it does appear the head gasket has probably been done before on that motor, but the timing chain was left alone. Tensioner shoe was worn, but not horrible. There was, however, rtv on the slack side tensioner edge (probably not from factory) and someone had decided to put rtv on the crank pully before tightening the bolt down. Not sure why they did that, but didn't find any bad things.

So I'll be changing out the timing chain and all, then buttoning back up with fresh gaskets and leaving the rest alone. I do have a head stud kit coming if I need it, but considering everything looks fine on that front and the gasket has likely been changed since someone has been in the timing cover, I'm going to assume it's just fine. Didn't have any water issues when it was running.

Now, to Sprague/Harrington to Regy's farm to yank a transmission out of a parts Z so I can shift! Only a month until autocross. This shit is getting close. Wish I were closer on the car!

Any noticable difference in power with the adjustable fuel press. Regulator ? I have a 78 810 i want to tweak some more out of wirhout going mad.

Matt - Remember the snake pic I posted a few years ago? He was snoozing beside one of the parts combines very near that parts Z. Reg and I saw 2 different snakes on two different days that year. But it could be they prefer living under John Deeres rather than Nissan products. :P

Yeah, you can take your gun when you work under the Z, but the snake is probably better at maneuvering in tight spaces than you are. My solution was to always have Reg climb under anything over there cause he is younger and quicker than me!

Len

Any noticable difference in power with the adjustable fuel press. Regulator ? I have a 78 810 i want to tweak some more out of wirhout going mad.

No.  Adjustable pressure regulator just makes up for the original going shitty and helps out with the cam since it's out of spec of the original fpr.  No power to be gained here, just waste more fuel if you increase the pressure.