Torsion bar clips

Guest 77ratsun

Guest 77ratsun

Hey guys!! While I was trying to take my torsion bars out I noticed a clip on the bar that was right in front of the cross member and I was wondering if there is a certain way to get it off or am I just being a pussy ass bitch??

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put a screwdriver against one end and hit the handle with my palm to drive the clip off but it may just spin around.....

How to Reindex Torsion Bars

in front of the middle crossmember, you pull the boot forward to reviel the lock ring

rebuild62.jpg

Work a thin screwdriver into the edge of the ring. It will be tight. I had to work the angle back and forth while occasionally tapping the back of the handle with a hammer

rebuild63.jpg

Once you get under the ring, work it out slightly. Do not pull the screwdriver away or the ring will pop back on

rebuild64.jpg

After you have worked it off part way, use some pliers to pull the ring off the rest of the way. Be sure to still keep the screwdriver under the lock ring

rebuild65.jpg

Tap the rear arm of that holds the adjuster bolt out of the crossmember. Hang onto the torsion bar. It can slide out at either end. I was able to feel the splines in the end of the bar and I moved it two notches. edit:(but you only want to move it one notch!) The reindexed bar is on the right.

rebuild70.jpg

after the bar is reindexed, just hold the lock ring up and hit the back of the ring with a hammer. It pops on real easy. Put the dust boot back

rebuild66.jpg

I hate those things !

The Toyota W5x trans has them through out.

I used 2 matched screwdrivers, one on each end, and a wide faced plastic hammer.

But somewhere there is a tool (I've seen a picture somewhere in the past), If I could only find it.

The tool is a flat steel bar, same thickness as the ring, width of the groove.  I've never seen a tech go looking for the tool when you can typically get it off in half the time it takes to walk to the toolbox using the method above.  Yes, either its rusted severely or you're being a P.A.B.   :devil:

• Like 1