Guest 77ratsun

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 77ratsun

Ok lets just start over please

I took the timing cover off because the guys before that replaced the chain didn't have the crank in the right place when he put it on so i took the chain of, i put the crank and cam in the right place and then put every thing back together but now it won't start.

I put the Engine to tdc and the number one in the distributor is in a different spot

I need help getting the timing right on my engine, I can get it started then after I turn it off it wont start back up again I've tried about almost everything I've seen on the internet

This says the everything is extremely close. It won't run if the cam or the ignition timing is very far out. Not re-starting can be many things... maybe even the ignition timing just needs a small adjustment.

Set the engine to TDC compression stroke on #1.  Notch on the pulley on the 0 (zero) on the timing scale near the alternator.

Remove the distributor. Here's what you should see when you look down inside....

motordistributortiming.jpg

Note that there is a small and large half moon. DO YOU HAVE THIS????

I have a few friends that know what they are doing but we can't seem to figure out why it won't start

A camel is a horse built by a committee. How about 'too many chiefs and not enough Indians'

YOU DON'T NEED TO REMOVE THE TIMING COVER TO ADJUST THE CHAIN ON THE CRANK. YOUR 'FRIENDS' MEAN WELL BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

I put the Engine to tdc and the number one in the distributor is in a different spot

Then you put the oil pump/distributor drive spindle in wrong. Look at my picture. If it is not like in the picture (aligned 11:28)  drop the oil pump, move the spindle up inside until it is. Wherever the rotor points THIS wire becomes #1 then arrange 3 4 2 in a clockwise direction on the cap.

• Like 1
Guest 77ratsun

This says the everything is extremely close. It won't run if the cam or the ignition timing is very far out. Not re-starting can be many things... maybe even the ignition timing just needs a small adjustment.

Set the engine to TDC compression stroke on #1. Notch on the pulley on the 0 (zero) on the timing scale near the alternator.

Remove the distributor. Here's what you should see when you look down inside....

motordistributortiming.jpg

Note that there is a small and large half moon. DO YOU HAVE THIS????

Thank you! I will check tomorrow because I have my truck at my friends shop

Actually I did have to take the cover off because the tensioner was stuck and my friends do know what they are doing lol my brother is a diesel mechanic

The tensioner isn't stuck, it fell out because it was not properly blocked from falling out before the cam sprocket was removed.. So again, they mean well but don't know what they are doing.

• Like 1

Actually I did have to take the cover off because the tensioner was stuck and my friends do know what they are doing lol my brother is a diesel mechanic

You wouldn't be here if this was true.

They may have mechanical knowledge...just not versed in Datsuns.

Maybe this is too simple of a motor for them?

You should take it away from them and learn to do this yourself.

It really is that easy to fix one of these.

• Like 1

Ha ha yes. Let them fix their mistake and YOU learn from it. Everyone does. I've never dropped a chain tensioner but I learned about them because a friend dropped his while removing a head. Lesson learned.

Try to get a '77 620 FSM factory service manual on line. Pays for itself first time you use it.

• Like 1
Guest 77ratsun

Ha ha yes. Let them fix their mistake and YOU learn from it. Everyone does. I've never dropped a chain tensioner but I learned about them because a friend dropped his while removing a head. Lesson learned.

Try to get a '77 620 FSM factory service manual on line. Pays for itself first time you use it.

yep I've got the original service manual that came with the truck but every time I go to work on it I forget that I have it.

• Like 1
Guest 77ratsun

You wouldn't be here if this was true.

They may have mechanical knowledge...just not versed in Datsuns.

Maybe this is too simple of a motor for them?

You should take it away from them and learn to do this yourself.

It really is that easy to fix one of these.

The only thing they are doing is handing me bolts and tools I'm doing all the mechanic work on it

My brother is 6 hours away lol he isn't working on it

Guest 77ratsun

The tensioner isn't stuck, it fell out because it was not properly blocked from falling out before the cam sprocket was removed.. So again, they mean well but don't know what they are doing.

The tensioner didn't fall it was stuck

Guest 77ratsun

tensionerout.jpg

We call it falling out as it is spring loaded and sits in it's little mount. It can't get far but it is impossible to put back in place without taking the timing cover off.

Yep thats exactly what happened I thought you actually meant it fell out