Projekt Dora Bowell part duex...aka the "Can'tby" truck

jrock4224

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im a fucktard and tired to install a tranny with the wrong bell housing .,.. teds got me covered sounds like ... but if you ever put a tranny in a truck u know how fucktastic it is to put one in and out .. will post some pics this after noon ... 

• Like 2

I have never had to remove a torsion bar to get a transmission out of a 521, from underneath the truck.   I run the front wheels of the truck up on a pair of ramps.  you have to take the bench seat out,and the plate with the hole for the shifter.  Remove obvious stuff, drive line, electrical connections, speedometer cable.

Get all that stuff out of the way.  Remove the transmission mount off the cross member.  Get all that stuff out of the way, and the transmission will slide back far enough for the input shaft to clear the pressure plate.  At that point, you can rest the bellhousing on the torsion bars.  Lift the front of the transmission up, rotate it enough so the starter bulge clears the torsion bars, and you can slide the transmission forward, and under the engine.

Down load the 521 body and chassis from this page:

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/620tech.htm

follow the directions for transmission removal in the transmission section of the manual.

• Like 3

long tails yes ... short tail 55 sp... no ..... long tail comes right out goes in ... same with dog leg,  a bitch to install and remove .. ... so tired of trucks stuff right now ... cars are like .. throw anything in in ten minutes

i know counter inutitive but yeah ... installing the clutch with the tranny up in there is fun ...not 

• Like 1

Helps to take one of the torsion bars out.

the biggest issue is i texted goober to yell at him for not telling me he swapped the z bell housing back on then i realized i own his lz 2.3 so it always had a z bell housing on it >>im a fucktard... its up in there for now ... but cant hook to the motor ... i switched gears ... literally ... teds got a bell housing for me ... u have to pull the clutch to get the tranny back out ... i said fuck u datsun ... 

• Like 1

CB5A2B1B-A2B0-4071-9298-721071378E7D_zps

D54A4470-4D09-4528-92F1-7DC6C6B6D13A_zps

found my tranny mount powdercoated it before i modded it for a short tail ... fml .. 

03FF90EF-9D57-4703-A1C4-451715645F6A_zps

cat remeber what throw out color is for l16 and short tail morph tranny and i been donw this road with my truck ... i know it was a not the same for the l20 lol

1ED3B4A7-4E5A-4DF2-A33D-2239B474BEDE_zps

and a hint of no showin up at blue lake with the cant by truck ...sad panda ... 

C04E0A63-B5A0-4EC0-8D20-20E1F0A1019A_zps

• Like 5

I totally understand your sadness on the paint before done modifying a part.  Happened to me a couple times on the D21 build I did, it was an ever changing rolling idea of welding and fabbing lol.

And these wheels...the hotness...if I'd seen these beforehand I may not have done all the work to change to 5-lug.   Great find.

• Like 2

I think so, Dmike knows more about the 620 5 speeds than I do, I know if it will it has to be one of them long tail 4 speeds with the 6 10mm bolts holding that plate on just in front of the shift lever, I have used the front case off a couple of them long tail 4 speeds on my builds.

wayno can i use a 4 sp bell housing on the short tial 720 5 sp 

?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally after in and out multiple times  and bell housing swaps and a run to teds or the bearing off the counter shaft ... he tranny is in and done ... now onto the driveline stuff ... put the trannyt9ogether then realized i had pushed the reverse rod and got the tranny stuck between gears .. took it back apart and fixed that issue reinstalled bell and installed in the truck....

• Like 7

E9F35B6A-8AD4-4955-8060-729DCD3C8A8C_zps

C2BD91FE-8850-4409-AB95-98E551EB45FD_zps

DE9E7BBE-30EB-4E7C-945D-4CD67582E646_zps

2FCDDD56-62DE-4F36-A8D0-F0322559A420_zps

Finsihed the rear brake lines ........put the front control arms on and king pins ... getting close to putting it on the ground again ... beds on ... need to build a one piece ... have a few to mod ... then exhaust ...maybe end of hte month it will be a truck again ... 

• Like 7

I totally understand your sadness on the paint before done modifying a part.  Happened to me a couple times on the D21 build I did, it was an ever changing rolling idea of welding and fabbing lol.

And these wheels...the hotness...if I'd seen these beforehand I may not have done all the work to change to 5-lug.   Great find.

Fuckin do it Jrock. That is going to look good. Please do that.

• Like 1

CB5A2B1B-A2B0-4071-9298-721071378E7D_zps

D54A4470-4D09-4528-92F1-7DC6C6B6D13A_zps

found my tranny mount powdercoated it before i modded it for a short tail ... fml .. 

03FF90EF-9D57-4703-A1C4-451715645F6A_zps

cat remeber what throw out color is for l16 and short tail morph tranny and i been donw this road with my truck ... i know it was a not the same for the l20 lol

1ED3B4A7-4E5A-4DF2-A33D-2239B474BEDE_zps

and a hint of no showin up at blue lake with the cant by truck ...sad panda ... 

Please those wheels.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...