Possible engine swap? SR20DE or KA24DE?

Pericles757

Okay, i've got an 86.5' D21 2WD, 5spd trans, z24 with dual plug head (annoying), and it's got nearly 300k miles on it. It will probably quit soon enough. I love the truck and the body and trans are in good shape. If I swapped a motor, I would obviously want to go with something way better than the Z.  Which one do you think would be the best choice?

KA24E (OR DE)
Or
SR20DE

From what I can find, the SR is way easier to obtain, but is it possible or very difficult at best?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ka24de..

Lots of parts easy to get.

Ka24e if you want to put a bit more work into it and wanna run turbo.. can probably get more out of the E the the DE after head work/cams, valves, maybe bigger pistons.. but from what I've gathered the E is a better motor... for build up..

But to each his own.

I struggle to understand how an engine that had to be imported from Japan is easier to find than an engine that was in those trucks in the US for ten years.

Try a pick n pull junkyard. d21 ran the ka stock, so it will fit no issues if you use d21 parts. Sr20 is front sump, likely an issue when installing. Rear sump custom pans can be expensive.

Ka will turbo just as well as sr20, parts are everywhere, and usually cheaper.

From what I can find, the SR is way easier to obtain, but is it possible or very difficult at best?

Who ever told you that is full of shit. No RWD SR20s were sold here so they have to be imported. Good luck finding a valve cover gasket on Fri night or just about anything SR related. Millions of KA24E and KA24DEs were built and sold with lots of after market support. If you're in California forget about it. They can't be smogged..

Who ever told you that is full of shit. No RWD SR20s were sold here so they have to be imported. Good luck finding a valve cover gasket on Fri night or just about anything SR related. Millions of KA24E and KA24DEs were built and sold with lots of after market support. If you're in California forget about it. They can't be smogged..

Cool, I had no idea! That pretty much answers my question then. I never had any trouble finding parts for the 90' D21 I had. A lot easier than this damn Z24 lol

Don't think I've ever disagreed with you, Mike... But the interchange between SR20DET and the FWD SR20DE and other similar engines is quite impressive. It's not difficult at all to acquire SR20DET parts. Funny thing, too... IF you live the the Pacific NW, like I do, SR20DET, are as a matter of fact, just as abundent and available at local engine importers and on Craigslist.

Believe it or not, I even found an RB20DET laying in the middle of the Tacoma WA Pick-N-Pull. I shit you not. Japanese engines are freakin' abundant here in WA state.

Live outside of OR, or WA? Forget about it. KA24DE is the BEST choice.

All parts can be acquired to make it quite literally "bolt-in". Including exhaust..... The Frontier / Xterra were equipped with a KA24DE, which many people forget. Best (and most difficult to find) source of KA24DE, in my opinion.