Rats Nest inherited 521

V521V

Hello Ratsun,

I just inherited my grandfathers 1971 Datsun 521 truck! The truck was originally purchased by my great grandfather in 71'. I am eager to clean this gem up and will be posting pictures asap. Theres potential in this truck and i will be coming back here for lots of questions and information. The truck has sat for almost 10 years. I am pretty familiar with Toyota i4 engines so i am glad this truck has a carburetor and not a sea of vacuum lines on the intake. I'm confident this will be a fun and easy restore. Pictures coming soon! But first everyone needs to guess how many original miles are on this truck. :)

v521v

• Like 3
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Banzai510. That was the first thing I did with mine, despite the fact the guy that had it before me swore it was an electrical issue. The tank was totally corroded. Saved HOURS of head beating instead of countless wasted time figuring out why things won't run, or stay running. 

• Like 1

photobucket is about the best hosting site there is.... even though it isn't great in any way. :lol:

If you are using the mobile site pb actually has been pretty good lately.

Nice truck cool to see a multi-generation family owned piece get some love.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

So i have a couple questions.. should i clean the light rust and prime and paint or leave it all factory green. I don't want to take value away from the original truck. I haven't done a restore so i want to do it right. Also does anyone know where to get interior panels and the dash pad? I could probably cut the door panels out of masonite on a bandsaw and upholster it if no one sells them. Thank you for your knowledge and advise.

v521v

I'd say that's a matter of preference. There's a lot of guys that dig the original "patina" of a vehicle, and others that like a shiny "new" looking ride. Me, I'm of the latter and will be blasting and painting my truck later this year. But it's whatever makes you feel good while you're riding down the road.  :thumbup:

As a side note, Of course theres two camps with the repaint group. The I'm going to paint it whatever the F I want, and the I'm going to go original color and restore this thing like it just rolled off the showroom. So, there's that.

Value is a relative term. Monetary value is minimal next to sentimental, do what you feel will give the truck the longest life, or give you the most enjoyment.

If there is a dent that you got when Gpa clipped a fence leaving it cause there's a memory if it is just a rusty corner cut it out and put in new steel.

If I were you I'd just clean it really good! Engine bay and cab, get the motor running, driving and stopping and maybe drive it like that for a bit then you can better determine what you want to do to the truck, slowly. I'd say stay the stock color at all costs haha. From the pictures it looks like a nice truk and should clean up real nice... I like simplegreen.. smells good too..

Hello everyone,

so i hit my first snag... this fuel to carb filter inlet thing is broken. Do you think i can just clean it really well then torch and silver solder and braze it together.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/138045747@N08/93380f

The truck is cleaning up super nice! I flushed the fluids and put a little gas down the carbs and it fired right up!! The mileage is... ... ... 56k original!

I've decided to keep all original colors and panels excluding the kick panels that are damaged on the bottom. Found the hood emblem in the glove box.

v521v

Hello everyone,

so i hit my first snag... this fuel to carb filter inlet thing is broken. Do you think i can just clean it really well then torch and silver solder and braze it together.

The truck is cleaning up super nice! I flushed the fluids and put a little gas down the carbs and it fired right up!! The mileage is... ... ... 56k original!

I've decided to keep all original colors and panels excluding the kick panels that are damaged on the bottom. Found the hood emblem in the glove box.

v521v

I have several here in AZ, message me for details

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

v521v

I run the stock carbs so I have a few spares if you need.....send me a message :)

--Ray

Hello everyone,

Again thank you all for your wealth of knowledge and experience. I purchased a banjo bolt from Doctor510. :) Anyone know where to get a good dash board? Also a steering wheel or steering wheel wrap that holds up good. Will post more photos soon!

v521v

Dash pad...there is a member working on making new replacement caps. Give it time. You won't find a perfect original pad. 

Wheel...good luck. Grant part no. 4591 to get a Grant hub and wheel to fit. Not a perfect fit, but it's something. You'll need to be in the habit of turning off your signals on your own.