Where to buy timming chain kit??

85"720

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling your local Nissan Dealership would be the best bet on finding one directly from Nissan, especially if you tell them you want OE (Original Equipment) from Nissan, and not an aftermarket brand. I replaced a timing gear and chain in a Plymouth Duster back in the late 80's and the company I purchased it with replaced the metal main gear with a nylon gear. I was not happy, to say the least.

Direct from the dealer is always the best way to go, if you care about your vehicle lasting another 30 or so years.

Calling your local Nissan Dealership would be the best bet on finding one directly from Nissan, especially if you tell them you want OE (Original Equipment) from Nissan, and not an aftermarket brand. I replaced a timing gear and chain in a Plymouth Duster back in the late 80's and the company I purchased it with replaced the metal main gear with a nylon gear. I was not happy, to say the least.

Direct from the dealer is always the best way to go, if you care about your vehicle lasting another 30 or so years.

Chrysler did have nylon timing gears back then. I changed mine on the 318 Charger. They were quieter.

No i havent. What would one cost at Nissan?? My timming chain is rattling around.

Be sure it's the timing chain and not the valve clearance needing to be set. I've heard it said this is the Z24's way of saying 'Time to change my oil'. Try 15W40 Dello 400 or Rotella T and any filter but fram. NAPA Gold, WIX....

Nissan cost will be over $250, probably cheaper if there is a kit. This means that a good after market made in Japan set will be half that or $100? That's the cam and crank sprockets, slack and tension side guides and the chain and the tensioner. You still need the timing chain gasket. Always replace the crank seal with a new one once the pulley is off.... just good insurance.

• Like 1

Hi,

Seeing that a certain type of oils were mentioned on this thread ( 15W40 Dello 400 or Rotella T ) I've always wondered: Is it alright to use an oil that's recommended for a diesel engine on a non diesel car. Specifically a '71 510 1.6L. I would appreciate  your opinions.

Thank you,

Henry

The original off my Plymouth was definitely not nylon - or whatever plastic looking material you say. It was steel. Even so, after that repair, it ran so nice, some guy traded me a hopped up El Camino for it and gave me $1200 to boot - and I was finally back into driving a Chevy. I guess he was sick of all that power. lol

The reason to use those types of oil is because of the zinc that's in them. It's supposed to help the cams in our motors last longer.correct me if I'm wrong.

99.9% of cars on the road are under 20 years old and more, they are roller rocker cam that need very little of the anti scuff protection of ZDDP. As this Zinc, some, at least, ends up in the environment and it fucks up the new catykitic converters of today, oil makers have been reducing the level in their products. They say that it was already more than enough back then and there is still more than enough for our 'flat tappet' cams but I don't buy this at all. It's just easier to switch to a light diesel oil and avoid the worry. Diesel oils still have a high ZDDP content. They also have a high detergent level so don't worry when your fresh oil change quickly darkens. Your engine is just getting cleaner..

• Like 1

99.9% of cars on the road are under 20 years old and more, they are roller rocker cam that need very little of the anti scuff protection of ZDDP. As this Zinc, some, at least, ends up in the environment and it fucks up the new catykitic converters of today, oil makers have been reducing the level in their products. They say that it was already more than enough back then and there is still more than enough for our 'flat tappet' cams but I don't buy this at all. It's just easier to switch to a light diesel oil and avoid the worry. Diesel oils still have a high ZDDP content. They also have a high detergent level so don't worry when your fresh oil change quickly darkens. Your engine is just getting cleaner..

should I adjust vavles first to see if that quiets down the motor??