'74 Datsun 620 (Replace L20 with VQ35DE from 350z), has it been done?

razomike

ECCLES:  What an awesome truck, thanks for sharing.  VQ35 and VQ30 are very similar in size.  If you don't mind, I'd love to exchange emails with you and your friend that did the swap.  Its exactly the support I was looking for in case we need any feedback on this potential swap.  Please drop me an email, if possible:  razomike@gmail.com 

I'm really crap with email mate,  not the best with computers but we are both on facebook

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it fit in a 510, I'm pretty sure it will fit in a 620.  The truck is taller, but narrower.  Measure your clearance (as far as height) from the bottom of the oil pan belly (not the sump) to the top of the intake.  I raised my SR about 3 inches and still have and inch of clearance towards the front.    Keep in mind the hood slopes so the farther you can get the engine towards the back, the more clearance you have.  

To me hot rodding is and education.  Your first projects may not work the way you intended or be a total disaster, but in the end you learn.  It's not the end result that counts, but the journey getting there.  In may countries you are not even allowed to do engine swaps, so enjoy the freedom you have.  Screw ups are just expensive credit hours.

• Like 2

VQ35

Overall height from oil pan to top of intake manifold....................28''

height to top of heads......................................................23 1/2''

height to top of front cam covers.......................................24 3/4''

width from head to head not including plumbing tubes............22 1/2''

overall length from front idler pully to where trans bolts up...........21''

The farthest point forward is the fan clutch assy. but most of us will remove that to go electric fan I assume

VG30

From the cranknose to the back of the motor where the tranny meets = 22"

From the oil pan to the top of the intake manifold (z31turbo) =26-27"

from the furthest outside point on the exhaust manifold to the furthest outside point on the exhaust manifold is = 22"-23"

from the back of the engine (where the tranny connects), to the middle of the engine mount =10"

Width of the engine where the bell housing meets the back of the engine =15"

The above measurements are random quotes that I took from other forums about the sizes of those engines. The VQ transmissions are known to be quite a bit burlier so that does have to be dealt with as well

• Like 2

VQ35

Overall height from oil pan to top of intake manifold....................28''

Lockleaf:  your the man!  I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.  I'm sure I'll be back to share the progress as well as the challenges.  

I was getting rather discouraged with some of the initial responses I was getting in this forum.  I knew that if I stayed on it, I'd find a few supporters that would overshadow the critics.  Nobody likes a Debbie Downer you know what I mean...

I'm going to get the VQ next week, then off to find a 6-speed trans, already spotted a few on craigslist.  Meanwhile... the rust battle continues.  Doing the undercoating on the bed next week.  I'll continue to share some pics.   

• Like 2

Razomike, I have completed a VG30 swap in a 620. Build thread can be seen in my signature. I turned out to be an excellent swap. Truck ran great. Shortly after completing the swap I was able to do some measuring on a VQ35 motor for the swap possibilities. It would be a huge challenge to get the VQ into a 620. I would certainly not recommend it for a first time swapper. 

Few of my observations when I was measuring the 350z.

1. The VQ is not going to fit without an extremely custom(expensive) fabricated aluminum oil pan. VQ motors are front sump motors and the 620 needs a rear sump.

2. I doubt the factory exhaust manifolds will fit the 620 frame, which will require custom manifols/headers. Once again, custom and expensive.

3. The 350z trans is NOT going to fit into the floor tunnel of the 620. More custom work, consider that thought as you are cleaning rust and painting the interior of the cab and undercoating the underside.

4. The 350z trans shifter location is WAY too far back to be comfortable in the 620. 

5. The VQ makes enough power stock that you will immediately feel the need for a limited slip rearend(research this, no options for the H190). Just the VG motor needed it, making tire smoke was easy.

6. Study the length fitment of the motor, A stock radiator isn't going to cut it. Then measure the space available for a custom aluminum radiator and you will discover that none of the "off the shelf" aftermarket ones fit very well. A custom sized aluminum radiator is expensive($800ish).

With those items discussed, I do believe that the VQ is a doable swap, but definitely not an easy one or inexpensive, and certainly not a good one for a first timer. That said though, I would like to do one myself.

Many of the other things mentioned by others are reasonably easy, but do require your research and more importantly, your wallet.

1. Driveshaft are no big deal, provided you have a yoke that fits your transmission. Not cheap to get made though. Lose the carrier bearing.

2. Wiring really isn't that big of deal if you can read wiring diagrams. Tuning of the computer(removing alarm and emissions stuff) is completely different story though.

3. Speedometer drive. I dont have an answer on this, I assume that hte 350z is electronic speedo drive, how are you going to integrate that to the 620. On the VG(Z31) trans, I used the stock 620 mechanical speedo cable.

4. Fuel systems have plenty of options, but do require lots of research to make it fit your application, and again requires digging into your wallet. This one also has a pretty serious safety concern with it. Where and how you route the lines definitely matters. Not a good place to cheap out.

5. I personally do not think that just having Pathfinder brakes is enough upgrade for this motor swap. You need a perfect suspension system to go with it, you are going to need to be able to make the truck handle properly too. That isn't cheap. 

Good luck in whichever route you choose(It will be needed for the VQ). Let me know if you need more info on the VG swap, but it's basically all in my build thread. I would highly recommend sticking with a KA motor that has been documented many, many times. Sorry, I'm not a fan of the SR motors.

• Like 4

Razomike, I have completed a VG30 swap in a 620. Build thread can be seen in my signature. I turned out to be an excellent swap. Truck ran great. Shortly after completing the swap I was able to do some measuring on a VQ35 motor for the swap possibilities. It would be a huge challenge to get the VQ into a 620. I would certainly not recommend it for a first time swapper. 

JASON, thank you very much.  The greatest help i've received so far, so thank you.  

With regards to your observations:

-VQ35's oil pan & headers seem to be the biggest issues in getting the engine to fit into the 620's engine bay.  A custom oil pan and headers will be required. 

-To fit the trans, we will have to cut into the body, then make a large case to seal the trans in the cabin.

-According to our measurements, the front of the engine to the shifter is 62 inches long, so the resulting position of snifter isn't ideal but isn't horrible either.

-Limited slip rear-end and upgrading breaking system will be phase II.

-Aluminum aftermarket radiator will be a must.

-Wiring: we'll use the 350z stock harness, ECM, BCM and IPDM.  With a standalone aftermarket ECM (we've found one that should work).

-Fuel system will be aftermarket (fuel cell and pump).  We might just sit the fuel cell in the bed, we've seen a few examples and it looks clean and simple.

-Speedo, don't care much for it, maybe phase II

Mounts & Cross Member, we'll do whatever we have to do get them to fit, should be interesting.  Might call on Bory (Datstang) to help.

That's the plan so far.  I'm still working on the body, that's obviously priority.  

As for the KA, my friend HATES that engine. I had recommended we go with KA because of simplicity and plug-in aftermarket parts and he just about cussed me out.  lol - not that extreme but he doesn't like that engine one bit.  He said it has to be either VQ35, SR20DET or LS1 (I'd rather keep it Nissan).

Thanks again man!  You are a saint in my eyes.

Banzai, your such a hater!  hahahaha  

Always a good laugh to see your comments, thank you. 

Hate the guy that didnt finnish his Datsun.

Look at the memeber list.95% never to be heard of again.

we will see on this project. Im glad its a 620 than a 510.

Thats how I get cheap L motors  from guys like above

Banzai, where about you located?  Maybe I pay for your plane ticket to Los Angeles, you can stay in my guest room and help me clean up the existing L20, WE'll become good buddies, I'll learn a thing or two about carb-engines and then we'll forget about this crazy engine swap idea?

Hell, we can even go to Disneyland in the 620 once its all done?  What do you say pal? 

Ask him to go bow hunting hogs in Hawaii.....

No bow hunting here in So'Cal, sorry Banzai... we can probably find a hog you can pet and possibly feed...

No hunting...we're all hippies over here.  Now if your up for some action, Tijuana Mexico is just a couple hours away.

• Like 1

Banzai, where about you located?  Maybe I pay for your plane ticket to Los Angeles, you can stay in my guest room and help me clean up the existing L20, WE'll become good buddies, I'll learn a thing or two about carb-engines and then we'll forget about this crazy engine swap idea?

Hell, we can even go to Disneyland in the 620 once its all done?  What do you say pal? 

No need, you can learn from him on youtube. :)

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...