'74 Datsun 620 (Replace L20 with VQ35DE from 350z), has it been done?

razomike

You can post all the IMG links in one post.

The VQ35 in a 620 has been done before but a lot of fab work and front suspension redone.

EFAEEC3E-E339-46F7-B29F-BF19BE2F50F7_zps7A4DC096-DDC5-42B9-8AFB-19C978E59BEC_zps

http://datsunforum.com/the-rat-bastard-vq-powered-datsun-620-drift-truck/

Thank you very much for the pics, this doesn't look pretty at all. hahahaha

I have the measurements for the engine and trans, lets see if it even fits in the 620 engine bay without doing all this custom work this guy had to do.   

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@datzenmike:

I thought about leaving it but what's the fun in that. Plus, I getting a VQ35 with 4,000 miles for $500, you wouldn't at least try?

All I need is the matching 6-speed trans and they're plentiful on craigslist.

Stick with L 20 & enjoy your 620. No need for a " swap" just because others have done it.

Have YOU done a swap before? Enthusiasm isn't enough.

You'll need several thousand dollars to do this. Likely much more.

Don't rely on friends to do the work. They'll get sick of doing it all.

You need a garage with space, secure and nearby. Tools. A means to fabricate parts, welder drill press.

There's something wrong with a $500 engine. Trust me.

Custom oil pan, driveshaft, (and not just shortening it) high pressure fuel pump, return fuel line, EFI wiring and ECU wired into the 620 system, convert to internal regulated alternator, custom exhaust, custom engine mounts, custom rad/electric fans.... I've never done this and even I can list this from the top of my head and I know this only the half of it.

Now what about the 620 that goes maybe 70 MPH and can handle under 80 hp? What about the brake technology that is over 40 years out of date? What about the old and tired suspension system? Tires and rims? Now add weight to the front end and over 3 1/2 times the power. The 620 is not up to this.

Drive your 620 and enjoy it. Think about this, a lot. Look into what I've listed and get answers. Research, research, research. Save money, a lot, cause you will need it. 

Does this seem harsh? Well I love the 620, and I see projects like this fail from poor planning not enthusiasm. The owner moves on and the truck is scrapped. Once gone... gone forever.

• Like 2

DO IT!!!!!     The only down side of the VQ is the lack of aftermarket goodies. I'm not saying there isn't anything out there, but there just so hard to find. The VG is able to make great power and the amount of aftermarket is great. 

• Like 1

Have YOU done a swap before? Enthusiasm isn't enough.

You'll need several thousand dollars to do this. Likely much more.

Don't rely on friends to do the work. They'll get sick of doing it all.

You need a garage with space, secure and nearby. Tools. A means to fabricate parts, welder drill press.

There's something wrong with a $500 engine. Trust me.

Custom oil pan, driveshaft, (and not just shortening it) high pressure fuel pump, return fuel line, EFI wiring and ECU wired into the 620 system, convert to internal regulated alternator, custom exhaust, custom engine mounts, custom rad/electric fans.... I've never done this and even I can list this from the top of my head and I know this only the half of it.

Now what about the 620 that goes maybe 70 MPH and can handle under 80 hp? What about the brake technology that is over 40 years out of date? What about the old and tired suspension system? Tires and rims? Now add weight to the front end and over 3 1/2 times the power. The 620 is not up to this.

Drive your 620 and enjoy it. Think about this, a lot. Look into what I've listed and get answers. Research, research, research. Save money, a lot, cause you will need it. 

Does this seem harsh? Well I love the 620, and I see projects like this fail from poor planning not enthusiasm. The owner moves on and the truck is scrapped. Once gone... gone forever.

DatzenMike:  I appreciate the insight.  

-MONEY, I've been saving, No worries here man.

-WORK SPACE, not a problem.  

-620 already has modern BREAK SYSTEM from Pathfinder, checked. Can upgrade if needed.

-My Nissan friend has done swaps.  I have not, but there's a first time for everything.

-ENGINE PRICE, its legit. Its from a Nissan dealer, not my uncle's neighbor's brother's backyard.  I'm Mexican-American so I get a pass on making these jokes because they're often true -hahaha

VQ is aluminum block, same weight as KA24.  There are some aftermarket add-ons to the VQ35, they're pricey but available. 

We already pulled out a VQ35 from a 2004 350z, took measurements of both Engine/Trans, 350z Engine Bay.  Going to see how those measurements apply to 620.  Hopefully we can squeeze in.  Pretty Ain't She?

IMG_1826.jpg

Yes, huge.  ... 3.5L is a bad ass engine.  Worst comes to worst, can always throw in a SR20DET in the 620, then take the VQ35 and find a 350z shell later on.  I've seen a few of them go for $2-3 k.  

Thought I'd get more positive/useful feedback regarding the swap-potential but so far I'm wrong.

Let's see how these measurements go.  Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Yeah I am just going be experience. I seen more Incomplete than complete.

last guy had a 521 and said carb was bad. Pulled motor to do a KA swap never saw him again. carbs are $250 and still be driving . Lucky this is a 620 not I 510 then I would really be pisst.

Pulling the motor is the EZ part. Fitting this in it ?????????would be Ezer to buy a Superperformance Cobra kit car to spentime on.

If you have to save money then your handicapped already and find out its going to cost you min 2500 all said and done to do this right . And hope your friends will still help you if they not charging you already.Suspension upgrades, figure the wiring, fule pump, ect........im thinking 4K$ and half the stuff you get maybe free

that motor is just fucking HUGE!!!!!!!!

Yeah I am just going be experience. I seen more Incomplete than complete.

last guy had a 521 and said carb was bad. Pulled motor to do a KA swap never saw him again. carbs are $250 and still be driving . Lucky this is a 620 not I 510 then I would really be pisst.

Pulling the motor is the EZ part. Fitting this in it ?????????would be Ezer to buy a Superperformance Cobra kit car to spentime on.

If you have to save money then your handicapped already and find out its going to cost you min 2500 all said and done to do this right . And hope your friends will still help you if they not charging you already.Suspension upgrades, figure the wiring, fule pump, ect........im thinking 4K$ and half the stuff you get maybe free

that motor is just fucking HUGE!!!!!!!!

Pisst?  Really?  Its a truck dude.  I admire your passion, I'll give you that.  

Like I said, the money is in the bank, way before I even bought the 620. 

So I took the engine/bay measurements, its going to be super tight but there is enough logical space to squeeze the bad boy in there.  Going to sketch it up because the height is what's cutting it super close.  Width and length will be a headache but not as much as the height clearance.  

IMG_1826.jpg

FS6R31A '03-'06 had transmission problems. I think finally fixed. Eventually if an owner cane in with any shifting complaint they just put the newer trans in.

Yes, huge.  ... 3.5L is a bad ass engine.  Worst comes to worst, can always throw in a SR20DET in the 620, then take the VQ35 and find a 350z shell later on.  I've seen a few of them go for $2-3 k.  

Thought I'd get more positive/useful feedback regarding the swap-potential but so far I'm wrong.

Let's see how these measurements go.  Stay tuned.

You have barely begun. Again... too many times the truck ends up scrapped or sold for parts. See this all the time. Hope you make out all right, I really do.

These guys care about these trucks. They have also been here on the forum long enough to have watched many cars go under the knife and then die on the table. When a new guy with no "street cred" shows up asking about a swap, as opposed to telling about the swap, they tend to assume yours will die on the table too.

They aren't opposed to your swap thoughts. They are opposed to incomplete attempts by newbies who get in over their heads and leave nothing but a pile of scrap behind. And more often than not, the guys who start with can I or how do I are the guilty parties.

The best defense is getting it done. But don't abandon your build thread, so that the information is available for the next guy who wants to do. Nobody gives datstang crap for his v8. Nobody gives Bob3 crap for his miata swap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Shoot the fenders Orange & cruise it. L 20's can be upgraded for not alot of $..but do what you want & good luck,

The L20 is actually pretty good.  The problem I have with it is that it runs very very rich, I don't know anybody (and I've asked around my network of friends) for somebody to help service/tune the Carb engine and can't find anybody.  

Also, didn't know L20's could be upgrades, I'm up for that option, just so long as I can get it running smooth.  The person that had it before probably stopped taking care of it long ago cause as I was cleaning it out, I found some pretty nasty junk and dried oil deposits.

How can I find a good/reliable Datsun L20 mechanic and tuner? I'll definitely entertain the idea especially if I can get some aftermarket parts to upgrade HP.

Also, VQ35 doesn't fit, engine would sit too high, would make it too easy to bottom-out.  SR20 it may be.  

The L20 is actually pretty good.  The problem I have with it is that it runs very very rich, I don't know anybody (and I've asked around my network of friends) for somebody to help service/tune the Carb engine and can't find anybody.  

if you cant do something simple as this ,How you going to hook up the eleltronics on a Modern motor and hook all that up when you just go on internet to find the info.

Weber DGVs have instruction on the web on how to do this.

I seen African Bushmen on NATGEO fix Datsuns and Toyotas out in the bush so I think you can handle this.

Last time I see one Datsun run really Rich was the moron forgot to hook the electric choke wire up and the choke would never open thus causeing a rich condition.

these are really 1960s tech so they are smelly vehicles. To keep the stink down running the stock carb with all the hoses those help.

sometime the accel pump diaphrame on carb is leaky and that stinks. or Intake/exhaust manifold gasket is blown out on bottom making it stink more.

Its your rig do it with what you want.  But hate to see such a simple  to fix rig make it 35 yrs then to just end cause someone lack the motivation and skill to finnish something thru. when it was already just fine. and someone can get more use out of it.

Many of you would be happy to know that the VQ35DE will not fit, at least not without butchering the truck's body.  Height clearance seems to be the biggest issue.

Now considering SR20DET... or maybe even KA24.  Will continue restoring body and removing rust for now.  

my mate dan bagged and stuffed a vg30 in his truck

thing pulls hard and he used some of the front end from the same navara

fit a treat

ECCLES:  What an awesome truck, thanks for sharing.  VQ35 and VQ30 are very similar in size.  If you don't mind, I'd love to exchange emails with you and your friend that did the swap.  Its exactly the support I was looking for in case we need any feedback on this potential swap.  Please drop me an email, if possible:  razomike@gmail.com 

• Like 1