'74 Datsun 620 (Replace L20 with VQ35DE from 350z), has it been done?

razomike

Sup Fellas,

Picked up a '74 620 a few monthes ago, already tearing it apart.  Looking to do a v6 350z swap (thought about an SR20DET but felt it was all too common).  It already has a great running L20 in it, great power for its size but looking for more power.  Plus, I already have somebody interested in the buying the old L20 so why not.

I've looked across your blogs for feedback on a VQ35DE swap, doesn't seem to be too common of a topic.  I'm new to the forum so any feedback or insight on the swap would be greatly appreciated.

Any leads or insight on doing the VQ35 swap would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Mike

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll post some pics, the previous owner of the truck has some 'ratsun' branded parts so you guys may recognize the truck.

What do I use to post pics?  Can I use Dropbox or does it have to be photobucket?

It's doesn't have to be photobucket, but it needs to a photo hosting service that allows direct linking to the photos.

That's a great price on the VQ, but that's only one part of it  It may take a rear sump (or not), that's about $500.  You have to be able to tune out the theft system in the computer.  Last time I looked into, somebody had figured it out, but there was another $500, unless you want an aftermarket ECU like a megasquirt, then you will still have to tune that.  The stock Datsun rear end is hard to find parts for especially a limited slip diff.  I have a narrowed Dana 44 on my car.  There's another $1000.  Exhaust is a nightmare with torsion bars in the way and an extra crossmemeber.  Being able to weld is a must or have a buddy who is a good welder and will to help out.  It's going to take custom engine mounts and tranmission mounts.  Costs soar pretty quickly.

If you're really determined.  I would pull the original engine and test fit the VQ.  Look at the oil pan, exhaust fitment and intake.  The 510 guys were modifying the intake.

• Like 1

Orangie:  thanks for the valuable feedback, that's actually what I'm looking for...I could obviously keep the existing engine but what's the fun in that right.  I actually got the encouragement for this Datsun build from Bory who built the Datstang last year.  He's the reason I bought the Datsun 620 to begin with.  I actually met with Bory in December and his truck is on another level, he's still working on it by the way... he's offered to help with my build.  

I should mention, my best friend is a Nissan tech, thus the low price on the new VQ35.  He has the extra manifold, harness, misc engine parts.... We mainly need the transmission to get a complete setup.  Any other Nissan parts, we have very easy access to.  

We did talk about requiring an aftermarket ECU.  My friend knows that v6 engine very well so that's why we're tempted to do the build.  Without his expertise and access to Nissan parts, I wouldn't even dare do a swap. Oh, my 620 has Pathfinder front and rear... so that should do well with added HP (It was "Bory Datstang" approved).  

I don't mean any disrespect towards those who recommend keeping the L20, but the intention here is to create a monster.  Either SR20DET or VQ35.  We prefer the road less traveled but looking for some good feedback.

• Like 1