68' 510 fuel tank

Anonymous Waffle

That just might be your fuel sender or gauge.. So the bafel design should be the same?

On my 69, it was the same as a 71. Not sure about 68.. but i'd assume it's just like the 69.

The tanks are a little different. my 69 tank had a small breather and no evap emissions like the later style.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The tanks are a little different. my 69 tank had a small breather and no evap emissions like the later style.

I don't think emission crap would do much besides vapors... Im curious if my pickup tube could be bent inside as well? But its weird since I've ran my old carb setup to the outside of the E mark, and had no issues...

I'll post if something happens again.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone ever have fuel delivery issues when you get less than a quarter tank of fuel? Roughly 3 gallons. Had it starve the carbs once, and wasn't a clog, after getting more fuel, it started up. Do different years have different fuel tank designs?

I'm running a l16, stock fuel pump, su carbs.

Won't be carbs or fuel filter... how the hell do either know the tank is getting near 3 gallons every time???????????

Unless you empty out the remaining gas how you know there's 2 or 3 gallons left??? Maybe the gauge float is bent down and you really did run out of gas. The float bottoms on the empty tank bottom but the gauge still reads 2-3 gallons. Stock 510 is 11.9 US gallons. Next time it 'runs out' refill and subtract this amount from 11.9. Take the sender out and compare the amount of drop when held outside the tank. Bend up to suit.

If it actually does run out with 2-3 gallons left in tank this is easily explained by the pick up tube being bent. Any amount of bend will raise the end up and away from the vertical leaving more gas inaccessible. This could be caused by a PO using a piece of chain shaken inside the tank to loosen rust when cleaning it. Remove the tank and take the sender out and look in the hole with a flashlight. Suction tube should be near bottom of tank.

Won't be carbs or fuel filter... how the hell do either know the tank is getting near 3 gallons every time???????????

Unless you empty out the remaining gas how you know there's 2 or 3 gallons left??? Maybe the gauge float is bent down and you really did run out of gas. The float bottoms on the empty tank bottom but the gauge still reads 2-3 gallons. Stock 510 is 11.9 US gallons. Next time it 'runs out' refill and subtract this amount from 11.9. Take the sender out and compare the amount of drop when held outside the tank. Bend up to suit.

If it actually does run out with 2-3 gallons left in tank this is easily explained by the pick up tube being bent. Any amount of bend will raise the end up and away from the vertical leaving more gas inaccessible. This could be caused by a PO using a piece of chain shaken inside the tank to loosen rust when cleaning it. Remove the tank and take the sender out and look in the hole with a flashlight. Suction tube should be near bottom of tank.

Do simple math... 12.1 11 7/8 gallons, run the car to a certain level, lets say less than a quarter tank, fill the tank up all the way, then subtract the amount you filled up from 12.1 11 7/8 gal.

So if we filled up 8.5 gallons... thats 2.4 gallons, give or take in the tank..  :yawn:  :yawn:  :yawn:  :yawn:  :yawn:  :yawn:  :yawn:

Only reason why it always had fuel delivery issues, was when the fuel level was low, it started sucking up the crap that we found in the tank.