Tranny shop in Seattle Area? - dogleg rebuild

mapball

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

fack!#%!  Motor and transmission is in, but shop tells me that its too long by less than an inch and wont mate up to the driveline.  I thought this would be a direct drop in.  Does anyone know if there is an easier solution than having the driveline shortened?  I'll try to post up pics.

• Like 1

fack!#%! Motor and transmission is in, but shop tells me that its too long by less than an inch and wont mate up to the driveline. I thought this would be a direct drop in. Does anyone know if there is an easier solution than having the driveline shortened? I'll try to post up pics.

The shorty 71B is 26" long, the stock 521 4 speed is 26" long the FS5W63A is 26" long. It fits. They modified the transmission cross member? Then they cut it too short by the difference the drive shaft is out. Lengthen it and the engine and trans will move forward.

Gentlemen, thank you so much.  Mike, much appreciated.  Sounds like I literally could take a ruler to the two transmissions to prove that it equals out.  I can't wait to head down to the shop this morning and make them fix this!   Good news thus far is that the new motor sounds good and the tranny notches into each gear cleanly and crisply.  Hmm now that I think about it the new motor did seem funny the way it was sitting in the engine bay, like it didn't quite have the right lean to it.  Thank you for saving me from compounding an issue.   

• 3 weeks later...

The search for 5th gear continues...

the rear mount crossmember was backwards and they were able to get it to fit without chopping the driveline.  idiots!  But, still bad news. :(  The truck is still noisy in all gears (though not near as bad as the dogleg was) and I might have an issue with the rebuilt tranny from Bill.  I've worked it out with Bill already, but there are some other identified issues that need to get resolved first prior to coming a final conclusion that the rebuilt tranny is bad. 

First was reworking a portion of the exhaust pipe that had been touching the torsion bar.  Things quieted up significantly after that, but still noisy and painful to drive. 

Next discovered that the top of the transmission was touching the body of the truck near where the stick enters into the cabin.  Was able to push apart some space with a 2x4 and a floor jack, but more space is needed, probably as much as 1-1.5 inches.

Realized two things after stopping by a couple of trusted sources: I am using the incorrect rear mount cross member and I'm running the wrong exhaust manifold -  both for the stock B16 and 4 speed  that my truck originally came with (1972.5 model).  The exhaust manifold is actually touching where the motor and transmission bolt together and the rear cross member is so far up that it's positioning the driveline at an upwards angle towards the back of the truck.  I'll have to take pictures when I have a chance, but I have a good feeling that resolving thsse two issues will give me a much better opportunity to tell if this transmission is bad or not.