Tranny shop in Seattle Area? - dogleg rebuild

mapball

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the problem.. it does not have a speedometer drive. Four by fours are driven off the transfer case. Don't say 'I just use GPS' it's not that great and there are 2wd short Z series 5 speeds.

It's also a really shitty price.

• Like 1

changing gears.. (yes, pun intended) I'm taking a look at this tonight http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/5404870704.html and Bill (who I'm sure some of you know) said he would swap the case to allow it to work on my truck.  This is not a 71B no? but should work fine with my setup??

24530693305_d8a7303938_z.jpg

Oliver seems like a good dude and I will definitely check with him on sourcing a rebuild kit, but he's not had time to take a closer look at my truck.  He's either really busy or real lazy - but it's been since around early DEC that ive been trying to throw money his way and he keeps pushing me out a couple of weeks.

Rick, I picked this truck up from datdoug a few years ago.  Remember this blustery day?

23886608043_c0d497b31f_c.jpg

Seems like most times at A&W were pretty blustery, thought that was the one Doug had

• Like 1

hmm.. driving W/O a speedo only puts man and machine closer in tune.. yea..

Bill confirmed pretty much what Mike is saying, after I get there!  Except he says the 4x4 actually do have the speedo gear inside the case, just that the case was never drilled for it since speedo on the 4x4's were captured through the driveline. I may now be on the look out for a 2wd case or might see about having the existing case drilled.  Thoughts and suggestions please!

Overall though I'm pleased to know I have a legit 5 speed on my hands.. and Bill is great.  That dude is a throwback from days of legends.  You get the sense that all his accumulated knowledge comes from first hand experience.  He's a pleasure to chat with and he knows his shit.

now about that dogleg... do I hear 75.00? ;)

• Like 2

Bill is a funny dude ,, he makes me smile...   Alot of guys wonder why in the hell i would get rid of what in their minds is a "holy grail" type Datsun 510 to get a lowly 411.... Well,, you met the reason.     Hell that blue R1600 411 in the garage more than holds it's own against American V8 powered cars at the 1/8th mile drags they have at the airport..

B)

It's also a really shitty price.

Thing about the price Mike,  is you have to include the price of the bearing rebuild ON TOP OF the price for the tranny which are pretty out of control right now..  Hell i think people are paying close to $300. just for a used ( non-rebuilt) tranny ..  Would i pay that much,,, not yet.

Yeah,,,  Bill is my friend but still ,,, it seems even the 620 guys are headed to the roadster price points of old.

• Like 1

Bill is a funny dude ,, he makes me smile...   Alot of guys wonder why in the hell i would get rid of what in their minds is a "holy grail" type Datsun 510 to get a lowly 411.... Well,, you met the reason.     Hell that blue R1600 411 in the garage more than holds it's own against American V8 powered cars at the 1/8th mile drags they have at the airport..

B)

Thing about the price Mike,  is you have to include the price of the bearing rebuild ON TOP OF the price for the tranny which are pretty out of control right now..  Hell i think people are paying close to $300. just for a used ( non-rebuilt) tranny ..  Would i pay that much,,, not yet.

Yeah,,,  Bill is my friend but still ,,, it seems even the 620 guys are headed to the roadster price points of old.

Yeah the later pictures would indicate a rebuild and not just spraying a used one silver. Yes a built 5 speed... not a bad price as this can cost well over $500 just for the parts and labor.

I do agree with you in that the prices for a GOOD Datsun tranny are getting pretty hard to swallow,, for sure..

I just noticed it was said that there is a speedo drive gear ??  I thought 4x4s didn't ever have them ,, but i hunted around on 720world and found this,, thread

http://720world.com/forum/topics/84-4x4-transmission-rebuild?id=2016119%3ATopic%3A33920&page=1#comments

With this picture of what is claimed to be a 4x4 transmission

http://720world.com/forum/attachment/download?id=2016119%3AUploadedFi58%3A33919

^^^ had to link since picture won't load correctly

as it is claimed that there is gear inside that undrilled hole,,,,, and i am curious as my tranny knowledge is  a work in progress,,, for sure

It makes sense to me that it would be there. Wouldn't they have needed to change other things, like build a spacer or machine in a snap ring groove or something? Easy road is do nothing. I have been considering trying to drill a 4x4 trans to see if this would work. I have a spare sitting in a parts truck. I should get on this.

• Like 1

transFS5W71Bin5th001.jpg

Yes the shorty probably does have the drive gear for the pinion. Likely because the main nut is tightened it from behind.

On the longer 31.5" long transmission, below the drive is way behind the nut. It's also only held on with a C clip. Unlikely they would put this on if a 4x4.

F5W71B.jpg

What's missing is the machined hole and threaded bolt hole to hold the pinion sleeve. Can it be machined out? probably. Can it be done so that the plastic pinion gear meshes properly with the worm drive gear? very difficult.

• Like 1

Thanks,,  me and Uber Guber,,  and me and Scalpum ,, were discussing this subject on different occasions just this week. As there is 2 or 3 late model short 4x4 trannys just staring  us in the face as of late.

Now i wonder if a guy could make a jig off of a 2 wheel trans to drill all those cheeep ass 4x4 trannys with a simple drill set-up.

hmmmm

This is what my 1980 Datsun 720 4X4 tailshaft 4 speed looks like, it has the speedo drive gear teeth in the tail shaft itself, and the speedo drive hole was blanked out, so I suspect that they all have the speedo gear drive in them, they just didn't machine the hole.

The speedo drive access hole is fairly far back on the tail shaft.

DSCN5175.JPG

DSCN5176.JPG

• Like 1

wayno, yes, yes indeed. I just checked the 720 4 speeds, and they did have the worm cast into the mainshaft. Never noticed this before.The 71B 4 speed has been around since '71. The 620 4 and 5 speeds seem to have this also. All the ones I have seen (only later 5 speeds) are clip on.

This is my '79 zx 5 speed it had a metal one...

5speedfor710goon026Large.jpg

The 720 diesel had plastic...

5speedfor710goon027Large.jpg

• Like 2

Great info guys.  What does the speedo drive look like, the end that goes into the tranny?  It's sounding like securing a 2wd case is my best bet if I want a speedo.  So I would not be able to use my existing 4 speed case?  Sorry... my current driveway doesn't allow me to get underneath the truck as much as I'd like to.  Pouring a flat driveway is my next project after I get the datto back on the road!

Called cobra transmissions today and they can assemble the FS5W63 kits.  I bought the last pre-assembled kit today, but it sounds like they would have no problem assembling new ones.  Good service from that group.  Cant believe how easy they made it sound after I had been turned away and denied by over 10 local transmission shops.

What does the speedo drive look like, the end that goes into the tranny?  It's sounding like securing a 2wd case is my best bet if I want a speedo.  So I would not be able to use my existing 4 speed case?

goon5speedswap010Large.jpg

Called cobra transmissions today and they can assemble the FS5W63 kits.  I bought the last pre-assembled kit today, but it sounds like they would have no problem assembling new ones.  Good service from that group.  Cant believe how easy they made it sound after I had been turned away and denied by over 10 local transmission shops.

Lots of places (like Nissan) say yeah no problem, we'll get that for you and 5 weeks later you phone them and it's 'Oh yeah.... NLA". Hope they work out for you.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

​dogleg rebuild kit arrived from Cobra Transmissions.  Looks good!  however...

24779973826_9e6b1438c7_c.jpg

not sure how to tell if its all correct or not, so I'm just going based off assumption.  I'll be commissioning Bill's services once the dogleg is pulled from the truck.  I'll also have him rebuild the existing L20b/w67 in the truck and will have the combination posted for sale.  Seems like it would all mate will with a particular 510 out there. ;)  Will have this with me in tow to whatever big meet is happening this summer.  What the hell is all this drama swirling around Canby? I was going to make it down my first time this year.. rats..

• Like 1

going under the knife

24779975516_0de424a685_c.jpg

I decided not to have the speedo hooked up and see how it goes.  I am interested in having a speedo again at some point and will drill this 4x4 tranny to see if I can make it work.  I'll be sure to post my progress when I get there.  Just need to come up with a backup plan in case it doesn't go well. ;)

• Like 1