My 521 journey begins

DTCrew4

Just picked up a '71 521 over the weekend so I figured I'd introduce myself. 

I've been a mini trucker a long time so I'm pretty excited to dig into this one. I've already pulled the motor & tranny (it came with a NapZ motor) and removed the bed. I also stripped the interior. 

Here's an album to my truck: http://imgur.com/a/QDwM9

The truck has been sitting a long time. 8 or so years. So I plan to go through everything. And I do mean everything.

In taking apart the steering I noticed the bearings were blown out (top and bottom in the steering box). If anyone has the part number to those bearings, I would really appreciate it. 

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions and post lots of pictures as I go. And don't worry. I know how to use a forum search bar.  :thumbup:

• Like 2
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a little hard to slog through, but this should help. There's TONS of resources on the net, and a good focused google search will provide wonders.

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/data/Datsun_Pick-Up_USA_&_Canada_Parts_Catalog_Model_520_521_Series.pdf

On a side note, what are you going to do with her? Cause if you're going to Rod her or something non-vintagy, I'd love to talk to you about that steering wheel.

(Yea, I know... I'm poaching already)

• Like 2

It's a little hard to slog through, but this should help. There's TONS of resources on the net, and a good focused google search will provide wonders.

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/data/Datsun_Pick-Up_USA_&_Canada_Parts_Catalog_Model_520_521_Series.pdf

On a side note, what are you going to do with her? Cause if you're going to Rod her or something non-vintagy, I'd love to talk to you about that steering wheel.

(Yea, I know... I'm poaching already)

Thanks for the link! That'll help a lot. 

As for the steering wheel, It's not in as good of shape as it looks in the picture. The thing crumbles when you touch it. I'll likely have to ditch it. 

Hey nice truck welcome, I am in Paradise  :thumbup:

Right on! I saw your truck for sale on craigslist..

Thank you, sir! 

• Like 1

Hey thats not a bad 521. I am really interested in in your plans for it. Here in New Mexico all we get are people smuggling weed and such. You have a good truck.

Well, I'm a mini trucker.. So it'll definitely be low. Almost every truck I've owned, I've bagged and/or body dropped. First thing I'm in the middle of right now is RHD conversion. B)  Then I'll be getting into brakes & suspension. Last will be drive-train. I'm still unsure which route I'll go with there. 

Here's a pic of one of my many past minis. 

http://imgur.com/FOKQdgv

haha  yea.... that was/is an unfortunate situation. but if you ever feel like you need a hand let me know. 

For sure man. I'll private message you. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the link! That'll help a lot. 

As for the steering wheel, It's not in as good of shape as it looks in the picture. The thing crumbles when you touch it. I'll likely have to ditch it. 

Bummer! That's pretty much the condition mine is in, only worse. So dropping it huh? So..... wanna part with that lighter and assembly?

• Like 1

I'll let you know if I part with anything. 
It's not a clock, it is a thermometer. I'll take some closer pictures of it tonight. Cheapy looking thing. 

I've been sick the past couple days. Haven't been out to work on it. I'm hoping to have the RHD conversion done this weekend. But this sickness has slowed production a bit.  :sick:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Z20 is a great engine put one in my 70 521 with a 5 speed in 1986.  Ran great!

Can not tell in the pictures but when they hacked the dash top did they hack the top of the dash face?

I have an unmolested 521 dash face and a 520 metal top if you need.  PM me if interested.

• Like 1

It would help if there was a photo of the intake and the oil pan.

Can anyone help me find out what vehicle this engine came out of? I know it's a Z20 just curious if it's a car or truck engine. I can't find anywhere online that can tell me. Also called Nissan here in town and they can't help either. 

Y0AY9aJ.jpg

Z20 is a great engine put one in my 70 521 with a 5 speed in 1986.  Ran great!

Can not tell in the pictures but when they hacked the dash top did they hack the top of the dash face?

I have an unmolested 521 dash face and a 520 metal top if you need.  PM me if interested.

Yeah, the guy I bought it from didn't have an ash tray so he hacked the dash and the top to fit a skull on it....  :sick: 

How much you want for the top? 

It would help if there was a photo of the intake and the oil pan.

I'll get some more photos tonight. 

You aren't alone. I want that rear sliding window. Haha.

You have a solid window you wanna trade?  B)