question on swapping in a 2001-2004 pathfinder's 3.5vqde?

poopypants720

VQ hasn't much been done in 720s. You would be doing a lot of your own work figuring it out.

One issue offhand I can think of is the front diff. Everything since the d21 has had the front diff pushed far to the passenger side. The 720 is only slightly to the passenger side. Oil pan interference is almost a guarantee.

Find out the length of the various rwd vq transmissions. If they are 31.5 inches or shorter, you could theoretically install one in front of your T100 and just get a custom midshaft. That length is the length of the long tail 720 trans, which was used in early 720 4x4s. Nissan shortened it for NVH and/or wear issues, but it worked.

I don't understand why you say wd21 pathfinder or 2001+ R50 pathfinder. What's wrong with the early R50 pathfinder? Suspension and chassis are basically the same as the later version. R50s are unibody. There is only one lift kit available for them over 2 inches unless you cut and weld your own. But they do come with r200 front and h233 rear.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R180 and R200 in the D21 & pathfinder are not the same cases as long nose Z car/etc R180/R200.

VQ engine management is a bia. You either need basically the full ignition, key, electronics (ECM, BCM, IPDM), etc from the donor, or flash the ECM and do a bunch of custom wiring or pay a shop to do it.

yup.

Was going to buy a cheapo donor off Craig's list just for the harness and electronics(done sell for less than just a harness alone would cost), probably most engine accessories would be used if I went long block crate/rebuild(would sell off or scrap rest as parts, unless I could find a suitable whole engine... I will most likely have to do a custom gauge cluster, which would be fun to build....

That is, if it's done at all... Trying to use the collective mind to see what my options are...

I agree with flatcat on a couple points. VG is much easier.

Here is a solid build for a vg34.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/1298/Project-Pathfinder-Part-10-How-to-Build-the-Nissan-VG30E.aspx

Run a rwd trans to your T100. Run your axles till they blow. Then install a d21 h233 rear. Front is gonna possibly take some custom work to make happen. Oil pan may not allow for the bigger case. No r200 was offered in the front of a vehicle in the US that was just the diff. The d21 and above use a diff with a built in extension/Jack shaft on the drivers side.

I'm not trying to be a dick. Trying to get the OP to be real.

A VQ swap ain't happening. Unless this is one of the guys that just won the powerball.

well look at it this way. The message boards are for less informed members to pose questions to gain desired knowledge. Your posting "wow" with the associated knowledge (apparently) rather than directly offer imperative information, is nothing short of being a dick.

Thank you all the same for the following answer.

So you saying I can't strip the writing harness and associated ecu and other electrical components from a donor and transplant it into a 720?

California law states that so long as all emissions systems are intact and functional, it can get a certification. Motor must be newer than vehicle, never older.

Flatcat, I'm curious, how much vq30 1995 maxima could be used as the main controller? Could the heads be used on a VQ35 or 40 block? I'm guessing they are far simpler units than the 350z era units. Add in the JWT info posted above, might be doable?

well look at it this way. The message boards are for less informed members to pose questions to gain desired knowledge. Your posting "wow" with the associated knowledge (apparently) to directly offer injustice information, is nothing short of being a dick.

Thank you all the same for the following answer.

So you saying I can't strip the writing harness and associated ecu and other electrical components from a donor and transplant it into a 720?

I was driving when I wrote wow. I didn't want to lose the thread, so that's what I wrote.

The VQs ECM is a bitch.

The ECM requires too many other ECMs to operate.

NATS...can't get rid of it.

Drive by wire. Kinda stuck with it. How will you get a pedal position signal to the ECM?

I have not researched VQ swaps. There may be gold out there. Who knows?

I do know what I have learned from working at Nissan for many years.

If you do decide to go this route regardless...good luck. This will not be as easy as you make it seem. No way.

OP...what skills you got under your belt to be able to pull off a miracle?

What does California law state about swaps like this?

Garage mechanic. Nothing more. Didn't come in claiming more.

But I can buy a solid donor for less than $900 out here and d21/wd21 junkyards options are plentiful and cheap. Then I can sell off my stock 720 parts and other parts off the donor vehicle to recoup much of that cost. Most the investment would likely be my out of pocket for a long block, cause I'd prefer to swap in a fresh build.

My buddy can cut/weld and has all need lift and hoist equipment to do the swaps and I have nothing but time for the 720 since its currently on a non op and not needed for a dd. Not paying anyone for labor here.

In Ca the swap has to be from a newer model year, maintain all emissions control equip, not throw codes and pass a visual inspection/mock smog from a referee. He then slaps a sticker under your hood and you can now test for future smogs at any location.

The evap system will be a retaded pain...

Also was thinking about a tank swap from the r50 if it would fit anyways, it's a much larger fuel tank than the 720.

Have to realize this is a new proposition snd I started by saying I never see this swap... I wasn't saying it was HAPPENING but rather proposing it snd seeing why it would our would be feasible...

Also, for these reasons (extensive modifications just to upgrade) I've proposed dropping/sideling the 720 altogether and going the wd21 or later r50 route with a 3.5...

Don't want an interference motor in a vehicle model that offers another stock option in later years(vg3.3 vs vq3.5)... Would take it in a well maintained wd21 cause I personally like the body style even more than an r50...

So not trying to get off track...

Just want to see what can be done to get the swap done easiest, yet not be a complete waste of time and leave me stranded on a desert trail.

Have you considered dropping your 720 cab and a shortened bed on to a wd21 frame and drivetrain?

Mmmmm... That's a somewhat money idea, but idk how the dmv and smog chassis/frame/engine rules play out in that case... Also, wouldn't mind having the extra cab space of a pathfinder...

Would be cool to have the 5 link coil suspension underneath a 720 though...

Gotta research the logistics of it all n see if it's even legally feasible, if so, gotta hit a junk yard n start measuring clearances and whatnot...

In the D21 Hardbody the H-190 was only used with the 2wd 4 cylinder.

In the WD21 Pathfinder the 4 cylinder (Z24) used a C-200 rear and a R-200 front diff. After '89 VG30s were used with H-233s

In the D-21 Hardbody the 4x4 Z24 was a C-200 but the KA engines used the H-233.

You can use a transmission longer than the 720 . The one between the trans and trans case is about 6" long

You cannot install an older year engine. You can install a same year or newer engine but it must have all the emissions equipment in and working.

C V T transmissions SUCK. It's like driving with a slipping clutch. Forget this right now. It's bad enough to be an automatic, but if you have the power it should rubber during shifting

Personally, I would do a single cam KA, H233 and R200. Done!

running back through the thread... Started taking off between my own posts and trying to play board games with the family....

Btw, thanks for all the great input guys...

What's the most applicable KA swap from(for emissions/smog proposes) and is the ka block/head void of the head gasket issues the Z blocks/heads seem to have?

What's the best hp rating one could expect from the KA?