question on swapping in a 2001-2004 pathfinder's 3.5vqde?

poopypants720

My '81 has a rebuilt Z22 resting in it that already puked the head gasket with minimal mileage and /or spun a bearing. It was already underpowered and prone to issues and despite having stamped EO#s and associated CARB documents for the carb and header(and passing emissions numbers) , it's tough to get smogged and impossible to get it from a bargain smog shop(means $70-$100 for a single smog).

Really don't want to dump another 1-2k into a repeat rebuild.

Thinking of going one of two routes right now....

Either dropping in a more reliable and easier smogged v6, pref a 3.5vq from the '01-'04 pathfinder(want over 200hp if I'm swapping, so vg30/33 is out. Other option would be a chevy 4.3 from a '96-'02 blazer) but don't think I've seen this swap done too much.... If at all....

OR

Droppin the 720 altogether and getting any solid running pathfinder '87-'95 or '01-'04.

Even with mods, fabrication and running the upgraded 720 through the Ref, I think I can do the swap for cheaper than changing vehicles then upgrading that vehicle to off-road and REALLY don't want to lose my 720 being so unique and good looking.

With the swap in mind...

Do any of the 720 transmissions mate to the 3.5 block? If not can a bell housing swap be done?

Would it be easier to run the transfer case and transmission from the 3.5, mod the floor boards and driveshafts? Probably have to fab new mounting points to? Would prefer to keep the T100 if possible so drivetrain stays mostly stock.

Don't plan on running more than the 31"s I have on it now (31x10.5r15 toyo MT) so don't think I'll need to change gearing or anything along with the engine swap, the extra hp should turn them easy and the current gearing crawls well enough for my off-road applications.

Any help or input on the V6 swap would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will the differentials and cv's hold?

I think can handle figuring mounting points and making new cross members for the trans and transfer case... As well as cutting snd adapting some drive shafts... But really don't want to change the differentials and suspension out too... If that's gonna happen, then the 720 is gonna get dropped or sidelined and I'll just find a running Pathy.

• Like 1

There's a reason they went from H190s in 720s to the H233 for the 4X4 in later years.  The H190 was designed to hold a U20 Four Cylinder, which was 150 HP (gross) and 131 ft/lbs of torque, in a much lighter car.  While the CVs might hold up, the diffs will not. ESPECIALLY the front diff, which is a dinky R180.    Even a KA would be pushing it.

• Like 1

There's a reason they went from H190s in 720s to the H233 for the 4X4 in later years. The H190 was designed to hold a U20 Four Cylinder, which was 150 HP (gross) and 131 ft/lbs of torque, in a much lighter car. While the CVs might hold up, the diffs will not. ESPECIALLY the front diff, which is a dinky R180. Even a KA would be pushing it.

So what you are telling me is that a v6 swap, Nissan or otherwise, basically mandates an entire drivetrain update and a SAS...?

• Like 1

You can absolutely use the stock rear end. Al has a stock h190 in the lil hooker 620 with a 400 small block v8 and he has never had a problem with it. Just keep up on the maintenance and make sure you check it out before driving with it.

• Like 2

Well, no, a Ford Capri 2.6L V-6 probably could get away with the stock axles.  Anything under 150HP/140Ft/lbs torque would probably be OK if you don't romp on it.  The VQ35DE is 228HP/246 ft/lbs torque at its weakest.   

Don't need SAS...  there are bigger R-series IFS diffs out there.  R200 is plenty big.

Al isn't running offroad tires or a 4X4.  If an H190 was suitable for a 400HP V-8 why did Nissan switch to the H233 for the 153 HP VG30?  Hell, they switched to the H233 for the 108HP Z24 in 4X4s.  If Al put sticky tires and punched it, the ring gear would leave its teeth behind.

• Like 1

You can absolutely use the stock rear end. Al has a stock h190 in the lil hooker 620 with a 400 small block v8 and he has never had a problem with it. Just keep up on the maintenance and make sure you check it out before driving with it.

A good freind of mine had one of the early single cabs that was converted in Portland to 4x4. The guy that ordered it wanted a 289 Ford. We got good at replacing center sections. He finally put in a D44.

• Like 1

I never said they should've kept the h190 on the newer trucks, I'm just saying it can be done. It'd absolutely be smarter to put a beefier diff in, but if all you have is an h190, you could use it.

• Like 1

Is the r200 an entirely different differential case or can the internals be swapped into the r180?

If not, what about the mounting points on the r200? Would the mounting points have to be cut and rewelded? And the cv joints? Would they be the same length and mounting or would custom axle shafts have to be made?

Might as well drop a yota axle or dana 44 and sas if it takes too much to custom work to maintain a strong ifs...

Was really hoping that the truck was built strong enough to handle 200+hp with nothing but a heart transplant n maybe a kidney...

R180 and R200 in the D21 & pathfinder are not the same cases as long nose Z car/etc R180/R200.

VQ engine management is a bia. You either need basically the full ignition, key, electronics (ECM, BCM, IPDM), etc from the donor, or flash the ECM and do a bunch of custom wiring or pay a shop to do it.

• Like 1

v6 upgrade is wow?

Please elaborate. Your current input is lacking.

Wow. With your line of questioning, or the way its worded, you have no clue how deep a swap will put you.

Especially a beast of a swap like the VQ35DE.

The VQ35DE is a complex machine with quite the brain.

NATS/Immobilizer. How you gonna make the ECM turn the motor over?

Drive by wire. How you gonna make it vroom?

You'd have an easier time making a GM 5.3 fire and fly because there is actual support behind that motor for custom applications. Not so for the VQ.

And the early iterations of the VQ35DE are horrible motors anyways.

With your original post, you claim this or that being cheaper than the other.

No swap is a cheap affair. What's the grand total of a KA swap? 3 grand when said and done? Times that by at least 2, maybe 3. Your time into the VQ will easily be tenfold as you, the sole pioneer in this journey, fabricate and foul many things on the path to completion.

Go with an easier route. KAs are tried and true. Plenty of power; lots of torque.

And get this...it already fits in to your vehicle.

There is also plenty of documentation to allow this to be an easier swap.

Dont lime that answer? Think its too expensive? Want a truck that can hang while wheeling?

Sell your Datsun. Pass up the Pathfinder. Buy a Tacoma with a great set of tires and wheel away.

Look. I just saved you 10-20 thousand dollars.

• Like 1

VQ is fairly light...

It is. But its also big.

And the transmissions are fairly long. And again...have quite the brain to allow the engine/trans to work well.

Want to stick with a V6 Nissan motor that you have a chance of actually installing? VG.

Build the VG34. Even a stock 3.3 is stout.

Less guesswork/computer shenanigans to get in the way.

• Like 1