510 transmissions ?

76_620

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...but, a 280zx 5 spd swap is one of the easiest mechanical conversions known to man.

You can buy a fabricated steel crossmember, the floor needs almost nothing, a massage at best, the cable...who needs a speedo anyway, and the drivehsaft can be modified at your local driveline shop for $100.

My 710 has the same length and speedometer location 4 speed as the 510. I put a 71B long 5 speed in and just un-clipped the original short cable from the body and ran it down behind the head and diagonally over the top of the transmission and hooked it up. Works just fine and have three or so trips to Canby or 5-6K miles on it.

Driveshaft needs to be shortened to 37 3/8" long for the sedan.

Trans mount? Have a friend make these up for you and you can use your stock crossmember and rubber mount.

5105speedmountmods.png

5105speedmountmods003.png

5105speedmountmods002.png

5105speedmountmods001-1.png

• Like 2

OK, so I amend it- It's a "Bolt on" IF you have all the right custom pieces made.

Geez.   To me, "Bolt On" means, take out old trans, put in new, with no custom fabricated parts being used.  All parts "off the shelf" or from the donor car or recipient.  No drills, no welding, no tin snips, no sawzall.

I don't even consider the dogleg to be a "bolt in" and that needs one part modified.

• Like 3

My point was that you shouldn't limit yourself in life to things that bolt on.

If we all did that, we'd all be driving Jeeps!

Armed with a little knowledge, a set of jackstands and an afternoon, this trans swap can be done easily. Think ahead and bring the driveline in on a Thursday to have it for the weekend.

• Like 2

Only the mount needs 'work'. See my last post. Those mods work for the 71B and the 63A dogleg. See the second paragraph in the article.

If you go with the 63A dogleg keep your present release bearing collar and put it on the dogleg clutch arm. (use a new bearing though)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...