Finally got a 521. and it's my daily driver!

ShaneLovesDatsuns

Ok, so I haven't posted in ages. I'm still a king lurker however. I've got a few things done on the pickup and she's been lovely. I've collected enough datsun parts to open a small museum (hehe) and learned a lot from you guys. Here's the current update on the truck. It's on ball joints, it's not leaking any brake fluid any longer. Sill dropping oil like no tomorrow however. I've painted it black and figured out where most of my parts came from to make things easier to sort out. However it needs a bit of carb work right now and some control arm bushings so it's not driven currently. I still fire it up all the time. I'm strongly considering a body swap. There's so many little things I want to do to this truck and I feel like putting it on a 720 frame would be really nice and take care of 90% of the work I want to do. I just want to be able to daily drive it again. I would not trust it on a 2 hour drive in it's current state, that's for damn sure. Well sorry for the random bits of info, just thought I'd give an update to anyone who cares to hear it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you cant fix it nowe why bother with a body swap.

Bushings are simple just jack up the lower control(to lessen the torq on the bolt) arm then PB plaster that bolt and then unscrew it. rplace bushings

Buy a weber DGV 5A(maunual carb) simeple and ezto maintain.

521s use Kingpins unless soembody did a swap ball joint swap.

where oil is comming from?

If you cant fix it nowe why bother with a body swap.

Bushings are simple just jack up the lower control(to lessen the torq on the bolt) arm then PB plaster that bolt and then unscrew it. rplace bushings

Buy a weber DGV 5A(maunual carb) simeple and ezto maintain.

521s use Kingpins unless soembody did a swap ball joint swap.

where oil is comming from?

Wow Brian, don't be an ass hole. I can fix it now. I was starting that a body swap would take care of most of what I wanted to do and would be faster. It's on ball joints because we did swap it out. I want asking for your two cents, I was giving an update. And it's been leaking oil since I got her. Rear main seal and oil pan plus a few other little spots. I'm not running pcv so it squeezes oil out sometimes. It was never my intention to stick with the L series so I just ran it. Carb I have is fine, just needs to be worked on. I just don't want to dump a ton of time into the L series if it's going to go away. I don't think you rad my post at all, you just wanted to be a jack ass. Lol

Hang in there bro, these are great lil' trucks and you'll get past the things that are bugging you. At least you can drive yours, mine is still in "project" stage!

Thanks man, and yeah it's been a wonderful truck. I've driven the hell out of it over the last year. I just want it back to a stage where I can drive the hell out of it again. Thanks for the encouragement! Good luck with yours as well. I'm sure like most things I set out to do in my life, it will happen. Just a little later than I had plan for haha.
  • Like 1

with 65 posts????

Let us know how it goes.

post photos

I wasn't aware how much "surgery" this truck went through before I bought it. Thankfully through good friends I have and kind people on here, I learned a LOT about it. I don't post often because I try not to annoy anyone and yet there's always one complete arrogant ass who thinks he knows it all and wants to shut you down. Hint hint. Either way, I'm confident my truck will be in order again one day, whether I have your approval or not. Thanks for sharing in my excitement and providing such knowledgeable insight on my situation. Couldn't have done it without you.

• Like 1

I am curious about the ball joint mod you have also, you mentioned the frame being welded on, did someone in the past put/weld the front clip from a late 620, 720, or D21 on your 521 frame, or were the parts from one of them vehicles bolted onto your 521 frame?

I ask this because I have bolted on 620 ball joint/disc brake parts onto my 521, but it is not a bolt on conversion, things need modified, later after I got it all sorted out I converted over to V6 D21 vented rotor/dual piston caliper disc brakes which is a bolt in after all the other mods were completed.

I know all the issues from doing this conversion, and have it on my work truck to this day, but it is not a conversion I would suggest to anyone, but once done I know how to keep it from falling apart like it has a habit of doing.

Exactly what was done to your truck, do you have photos if you don't know what you have?

I also have done 2 521 cabs onto 720 frames(81KC/85 reg cab frame), and 1 520 onto a 1986 Nissan 720 kingcab frame, it takes time and the regular cab frame is a couple inches too long also, but things can be fudged to make it work and look alright.

This is the 1970 on a regular cab 1985 Nissan 720 frame.

DSCN4062.JPG

• Like 1