Finally got a 521. and it's my daily driver!

ShaneLovesDatsuns

Thank you very much. My dad gave me so much shit for it I thought I made I bad decision. Even if it was not the most practical decision, It was something I really wanted.

I could write a mini series based off all the crap my old mans ever given me for some of my rides. Have fun with the truck sir

• Like 1
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in what front suspension you have, or is it a whole 4X4 frame made into a 2wd, you see if that really is a 4X4 frame/front clip the spindles are different, 2wd front spindles have 7 1/2 inches between the ball joints, while 4wd spindles there is 12 3/4 inches between the ball joints, this makes it very hard to lower, and I don't know if it is possible to lower it much at all, as it was made to be higher.

Can you get a photo of your front suspension with a wheel removed?

Do you have 15 inch rims/tires?

tmp_32284-20160114_090610-962985430_zpsi

Best I could do right now

• Like 2

Looks okay to me.

Is it moving on its own power?

If not get it to, and loss them fucken wheels!

Be Cautious While driving of course. Maybe even take note on how it handles and brakes.

Obviously if there's clunking while driving or stopping or turning somethings probably wrong.

Haha

Just be safe!

• Like 1

Looks okay to me.

Is it moving on its own power?

If not get it to, and loss them fucken wheels!

Be Cautious While driving of course. Maybe even take note on how it handles and brakes.

Obviously if there's clunking while driving or stopping or turning somethings probably wrong.

Haha

Just be safe!

Yeah she goes fine. It's my daily driver. And I know the wheels and tires suck ass. And it rubs every once in a while and I check it every day before I go. Check fluids, check lines, make sure it's drivable. No clunks or anything like that while driving or stopping, only when I hit a pot hole and that clunk is just my head on the ceiling lol. I get it to stop just fine too. But it does lose a little brake fluid over time. Gets me where I'm going just fine. There's just little things I'd like to fix over time.
  • Like 2

The front suspension picture you posted shows a disc brake caliper.

I noticed that when I took the photo. He told me there were drums all around. But it is disc brakes up front. I've only had her 4 days. And tbh I that was the first time I really looked at the brakes. Rookie mistake not to check. But everything wide he said checked out. So I must have just took his word

• Like 1

This is turning into a rat's nest-thoughts are all over the place. 

Not knowing what is actually there leaves lots of questions to be answered. 

Many different ways to lower that front end. 

Torsion bars indexed/adjusted. Upper control arms flipped. Drop spindles. 

Problem though...no one knows which will work with not knowing what parts are there. 

Only real way to do so is to just start doing work. 

• Like 2

I think you need to verify what you have there, front suspension wise, then go from there. I was told by Atom Church once that it is possible to put the 620 front suspension on a 521. but we were at the Blue Lake show,& I wasn't able to write down the details about how he had done it. as for lowering the rear of the truck, find yourself a set of 720 4x4 rear leaf springs. I'm told that this is the best way to go. I have a set waiting to go on my truck, as well as a set of 2" lowering blocks. I might not even use the blocks, depending on how much lower my truck sits after the we leaf springs are swapped. I'm going for a 70's mini muscle truck look, so I want a little rake to the stance.2013-03-18151903.jpg20150726_165824.jpg

• Like 2

I think you need to verify what you have there, front suspension wise, then go from there. I was told by Atom Church once that it is possible to put the 620 front suspension on a 521. but we were at the Blue Lake show,& I wasn't able to write down the details about how he had done it. as for lowering the rear of the truck, find yourself a set of 720 4x4 rear leaf springs. I'm told that this is the best way to go. I have a set waiting to go on my truck, as well as a set of 2" lowering blocks. I might not even use the blocks, depending on how much lower my truck sits after the leaf springs are swapped. I'm going for a 70's mini muscle truck look, so I want a little rake to the stance.

Yeah I agree. I need to figure out what I've got in there first. And thanks for the advice on the springs!

• Like 1

Loren, the  720 4X4 leafs will only get you a 1 1/2 inch drop by themselves, what is good about them is that they are firmer, and you can use a 2 inch drop blocks instead of 3 or 4 inch drop blocks.

Yes you can put the 620 or even the 720 front disc brake package on your 521, I did it myself back around 2004/2005, but you have to modify stuff to make it work, it's not a bolt in, and I personally would not do it again or suggest it either, but I do know how to do it right now where it is safe to drive.

Yes Shane does appear to have late 620/early 720 disc brakes and 720 upper control arms, he also has a little room to lower it, the bump stop has a little room, not a lot, but a little.

• Like 3

Thank you wayno! thats exciting news. Couple little leaks to patch up then it's time to go wheel shopping! Haha I'm pretty sure my oil pan gasket is leaking a little, and I may have to bend new hard lines to fix the brake fluid leak. But this is all things I will find out as soon as I start digging more. But I truly think I have a decent start here.

• Like 2

Back in 1970 my sister and I were visiting my Grandparents in Paso Robles, Ca.  I remember it being a hot day, when we hear a knock at the door.  When the door opened, there stood a man in a suit (bell bottoms), sunglasses and keys in his hand.  Behind him was a brand new red Datsun pickup with a Perris Valley canopy sitting on its shiny new bed. 

After a few pleasantries, and the stroke of a pen, the salesman loaded himself in my Grandpa's trade in 1948 Dodge 5 window truck, and we were left alone to explore this curious little pickup.  I fell in love with this truck when I was allowed to run the shifter.  My Grandma would command the gear she wanted each time she pushed the clutch.  "1", "2",  wait for it...... "3"  45 mph "4".  She would play with us and command, "5".  She always got my sister and I with that...

As the years progressed, my sister and I would take turns shifting whenever we drove the Datsun.  Over the years I waited patiently for my grandparents to sell me the Datsun.  You know grandparents, they never sell anything.  They moved to San Luis Obispo, Ca after retirement and kept the Datsun.  As is true for my grandparents, this pickup never saw car wax.  ever!  It only built up a safe layer of oxidation.  

Later, my grandpa developed Diabetes, and his health prevented him from driving.  Since my father need a pickup from time to time, he would borrow the Datsun.  I actually got to drive it here and there.  Even by myself after I was 16.  My love affair never left this great pickup.  Later, my grandpa signed it over to my dad, and he used it to be a ranch/firewood/errand pickup.  When my dad closed his business, and hired onto the power company and traveled to the various jobs.  The Datsun eventually need a jump start to be able to drive.  Eventually, she wouldn't start anymore (bad gas, corroded points, etc.) and she sat in a barn for 20 years.  Finally, my dad retired, and started cleaning up the place which he now had time.  Eventually, offhandedly, he told me he was going to get rid of the Datsun and said, "You don't want it do you?"  After my visual heart attack, I said "YEEEES!! I've had my eye on it since it was new!"  After some sarcastic banter, we arranged for me to ship it up here to Oregon for eventual restoration.  Pretty much the same way you will be working on your truck.  Little by little, bolt by bolt, as money provides.  

My first job was to simply get it running.  That was the easy part.  Since then, I performed a disc brake conversion up front, new seals and brakes in the rear, and then to set my sights on the interior.  I completely stripped the original bench seat and had the frame powder coated, new upholstery installed, powder coated the dash, and cleaned out the entire cab.    Later, I had an electronic ignition distributor and ACCEL coil installed along with a rebuilt radiator, water pump, etc. Recently, I replaced the components on the front end, as well as some of the bushings, and 15" tires and rims.  I did have to tighten the torsion bars to keep the tires from rubbing.  Now, its a daily driver since my Toyota T100 lost its engine, and it still is as fun to drive now as it was when I was a kid.  Good luck on your build!  

Shawn

1970 Datsun 521 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...