Finally got a 521. and it's my daily driver!

ShaneLovesDatsuns

This is basically an introduction thread about my truck, and some of the charming quirks that go along with a 45 year old pickup. I recently bought a 1971 datsun 521. Its rusty, it's a bumpy ride, it's loud in the cab, it doesn't like the cold, suspension is a mess, and there aren't many parts left if the original truck. It's pretty much not a 521 any longer. It needs a lot of work. However, I can't get over how much fun it is to drive. Engine and transmission are perfect, runs like new. It has an L18, front end out of completely different truck, two bucket seats, and you literally watch the road pass beneath your feet. It leaks a little oil, leaks a little brake fluid, it isn't perfect. At all. Still I've never had a vehicle make me smile so much. I've wanted a datsun pickup since I was ten. Twelve years later I found this one on craigslist. So I may be on here asking a whole bunch of questions that may or may not be stupid. I'm 21, this is the second car I've ever owned, and I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I only ever drove a standard transmission twice in my life before I got this truck, 30 minutes later it all became second nature. I plan on fixing a ton of the little issues slowly to spread out the investment a little, and I'm really going to rely on advice from you guys. Thank you all.

• Like 2
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Shane and welcome to Ratsun, Boy you sound pumped about this truck.

I also had a '71 for 8 years that was about 5 or 6 years old... it was my first truck but second or third Datsun. Yes today's cars really remove you from the driving experience, they are mostly boring, comfortable transportation. Old Datsuns actually need to be driven and are enjoyable to drive.

Ask any questions and we'll help you where we can to improve the little beast. Oh, be sure to post some pictures of your 521 in your following posts.

• Like 4

Those fenders and bed are not 71.

Or they have been shaved.

71s had rectangular lights at each corner.

Have to see the tail lights to be sure if a 520 or 521. All 520s had the rear box reflector. Only the one year L521 had the rear box reflector in '69 changing to the rectangular ones (front amber and back red) for the '70 PL521and on.

The 520 and the L521 had electric 'arrow' style amber front fender markers. Similar to the 510.

If the fronts were not shaved the fenders may be from Taiwan.

• Like 1