'75 B210 CHG light issues

lil'bey

I have had my 210 for a little over a year. she's always been pretty reliable, but recently I've been having some electrical issues. A month and a half (or so) ago, my charge light came on and wouldnt go off. My first thought was that my alternator wasn't working but I took it into O'rielly's and they told me it was doing fine. I talked to my stepdad who is an experienced mechanic and he said it was probably my voltage regulator (which is not attached to the alternator like most newer cars). I found a presumably unused voltage regulator in my stash of parts that came with the car, (it was still in the box but im not positive the previous owner has never used it) and replaced the old for the new. Directly after changing it, the charge light still didn't go off. I went and got a brand new battery to see if it was the problem. That seemed to fix it and my 210 was fine for about a week before the charge light started going on again. However, after the motor was warmed up and was revving over 2-3k rpm's the light would turn off..

Because it's a daily driver, I just would let it warm up and revv it up before driving it just so that the battery would charge and get me to where i needed to go. Eventually it got worse and worse to the point where i had to revv it to about 4.5-5k before it would turn off. Then about two weeks ago i was on a 2 hour long drive and the charge light had been off for about 30 minutes but then turned right back on in the middle of the drive. revving it up no longer works to turn off the light. i barely made it home before the battery died. My step dad can't figure out what it is, but i'm going to try and check the electrical grounds and connections tomorrow and see if theres anything i can do.

any thoughts?? sorry for the long post

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would replace the alternator brushes. You used to be able to get them as a kit for under $8. If not, try to find another alternator and swap them in. It's tempting to just replace the alternator but the crap that is available today are just junk. Try another B-210,  610/710/280z/S10 200sx  BUT made before '78, from a junk yard. The brushes are the same as yours.

The brush assy part number is 23113-P0100

Some of these other alternators will probably fit your B-210, so if they do just swap it in. Place an ad in our classifieds for a B-210 alternator. http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/7-electrical/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc We have B-210 owners all over.

Welcome to Ratsun.

Thank you for the insight!!! Also I forgot to mention that when the charge light is on, the car runs at a very high idle, to the point where I can hardly use my engine brakes. As soon as the CHG light goes off, the idle goes back to normal. Any thoughts on that?

The choke relay is operated by the alternator's charge signal.  When the light is on, the choke relay is off.  When the choke relay is off, the choke stays closed (or partially closed)  Since the choke linkage controls the fast idle cam, you get high idle when the alternator light is on.