orange B110 coupe

fivetenguy

All the steering linkage components have factory torque specifications.   I  can look them up in my manual when I get home.

As far as cutting the springs...I would not recommend this.   On my 1200 the previous owner did this and it ruined the suspension.  Yes the car looks awesome but it sucks in reality.

I bought KDFL model King Springs to replace them which have a lower right hide but maintain a good spring rate.

• Like 1
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the spring perch on the right had enough meat? I'm going to use collar clamps to adjust the height.

Sorry, misread. Not enough meat for collars. I thought you were nesting them in the 280ZX perches. My bad. 

Can I cut the springs about a coil and a half to firm up the suspension a bit? Any problems with that? Going to use some old tokico shocks I have laying around.

I have no issues with cutting them. Done correctly, it's never been a problem for me. 

But honestly, you've gone this far. Wouldn't threaded collars and 2.5" be the way to go? Then you can have any rate/height you want.

I have the struts ready to go. Should I use 1" bump steer spacers? I have a couple of sets.

I wouldn't. Wait until you see if it has a bumpsteer problem, but that's me. Also, with the spacers in, your wheels might not fit any more.

You're right. I didn't want to go with the treaded collars but I think I'm going to do it. I'm even going to go with camber plates. I have that on my other 510s and I'm quite pleased with them. It's just that much easier to get the ride height you want. What spring rate should I get for a street car? I was thinking 150lbs? Like I said, I'm new to 1200s. I don't want a harsh ride but I want it to handle well. Roads here in Cali are not the best.

Here's what I've done today. I'll have to continue on Sunday.

I test fit the wheels and they fit without clearance issues as far as the rim hitting the control arm or any other suspension component.

CAM02344_zpsl2kdizsh.jpg

CAM02343_zps8w1nsz2u.jpg

CAM02345_zpszdfvhcoc.jpg

What spring rate should I get for a street car? I was thinking 150lbs? Like I said, I'm new to 1200s. I don't want a harsh ride but I want it to handle well. Roads here in Cali are not the best.

150 is a good start (with an A-series). I'm on 200s right now and even without driving it I can tell you it is STIFF. Probably going to step down to 175s soon. 

These cars (and engines) are a lot lighter than a 510, so you definitely want softer springs in the front than you'd run on a 510.  :thumbup:

Awesome DF. Thanks for the reassurance. I'm going to go ahead and order them tomorrow. I'm tired of working on this car without being able to enjoy driving it. After front suspension it will be bleeding the brakes then off to get an alighnment.

Not sure. I haven't looked up the part number. They came with the car along with other miscellaneous parts. They bolted right up and appear to be about the same length as the old shocks.

I got the coilovers and camber plates in yesterday. I'll start work on that on Sunday. Also have some sound deadening coming in monday. Once I cut the rusted piece of floor behind the passenger seat, I'll start applying it and put some carpet. I want this car as quiet as possible.

It's real nice that a lot of parts are still available in Australia but shipping is so expensive. Sometimes you might pay more for shipping than the actual price of what you're buying. That's what happened to me when I looked into the King springs for the front.

Yes I know your pain.  I have the luxury of having relatives there.

I'm jealous :angry:... :P

Hey I recognize that 1200, that was Mario's old coupe!  He bought his after I scored mine.  You've done some good work on it, can't wait to see it on the road! :)

Yeah, I bought it from him. I'm slowly trying to get it to be reliable and add a few upgrades along the way. I've wanted to drive car since I took it home :D .

Sunday I installed the camber plates and coilovers. It was a bitch trying to get the coil over the strut once you put the 2 orings T3 suggests you use. Next I have to get the rear leafs de-arched to drop an inch to an inch and a half and the front needs alignment.

CAM02394_zpsr1pfa7lb.jpg

CAM02397_zps1v319ijs.jpg

CAM02398_zps4wph76ce.jpg

CAM02399_zpssogt21rl.jpg

CAM02401_zpshijidhdl.jpg

CAM02402_zpsykpvngjc.jpg

• Like 2

Lol they're huge. Big ol' doughnuts. The tires look bigger in the pictures than when you're looking at the car in person. I might just break down and buy some 185/55's, but that's another 300+ that i dont want to spend. There's stil a lot i have to do to the car.

I might just break down and buy some 185/55's, but that's another 300+ that i dont want to spend...

Could always sell those tires to a 510 guy to recoup some cash?   ^_^

These are about $250 shipped? 

http://www.tires-easy.com/federal-ss-595/185-55-R14/tirecode/FEDE0551418555V

Thinking of ordering some soon myself. Been wanting to switch to 14x8s...   B)

That's the cheapest I've seen those so far. How good are the Federals? Looked for reviews but they were 50-50.

I could always put the tires away and use them on my A2 GLI or my crappy integra. Those two cars are on still on 195/60R14's.

Also been looking at the yokohama S-Drives, but those are 100 more than the Federals. Yoko's are know good tires so there are no worries there.

What size are you running currently?

I can't find any name brand tires in that size here in the states. Maybe a while ago you could, but not at this moment. I imagine they make limited quantities of the smaller sizes since they are not in great demand.

Also been looking at the yokohama S-Drives, but those are 100 more than the Federals. Yoko's are know good tires so there are no worries there.

What size are you running currently?

The Yokohamas are pretty dope though. Might get those just for the bling...   :rofl:

Currently on a Federal Formoza FD-1 in 165/55-14 on a 14x7. Owned a few sets of these and I like them. Decent in the rain, decent tread life, fairly sticky. Good all around tire. The Yokohama is possibly a bit stickier. Just depends on what you want from it...

Can you get Yokohama or \Toyo in 185/50R14 there? They sell them here plus a couple of cheapo off brand makes.

We can not. Nor can we get the bitchin' 195/50-14s they get in Oz...