orange B110 coupe

fivetenguy

I picked this little devil about a month and a half ago. I've always wanted one for several reasons. First, my mom had several of these when we were young (we had nothing but datsuns and fords for as long as I could remember) and it brings back pleasant memories. Second, it's a Datsun. Third, just look at those lines...i think they're beautiful.

It currently has the original drive-terrain and suspension. Had to drive it from Salinas to Modesto without rear brakes. I had my cousin drive in front of me so in case I hit someone, it was going to be someone I know. The car runs like a champ. I was surprised how good on gas these engines are. The gas gauge needle hardly moved on the way home.

The car has 3 rust spots that I know of. I'm going to patch them up and go from there. Haven't really done much to it other than in the process of changing out the rear wheel cylinders. First only the rear right leaked. Once that one got fixed the rear left decided to let go, too.

The seats are shot. I plan on maybe reupholster them or unless I come across a real nice set of small seats. I need to get all but the passenger door panels. Also, planning on changing out the carpet and add sound deadening pads to keep things quiet inside. The paint is original and the body is fairly straight. I buffed it out because it was so faded out. Nice thing about small cars is that tasks like these go quick.

My plan is to only do the upgrades I feel the car needs. I plan on doing the brakes, lower it a bit, refurbish the suspension, steering and a 5 speed.

Hope you guys like it and please chime in about anything and at any moment.

Pics the PO sent me. The wheels were not included, unfortunately.

IMG_2023_zpsxihzinze.jpg

The only decent door panel.

IMG_7140_zpscfgaoemn.jpg

IMG_2467_zpsgskhckig.jpg

IMG_8232_zps2ihhh0aq.jpg

The engine bay isn't too bad.

IMG_3156_zpsg2aqryo4.jpg

Trunk is good, as well.

IMG_4916_zpsorchrpqt.jpg

IMG_1690_zpsxavdedat.jpg

Paint was dull from it sitting outside for a while. Pic is not real good since there is no sun light. You can sort of tell the difference in the paint on some of these.

CAM02257_zpszemcnsa7.jpg

CAM02256_zps8caytjt1.jpg

CAM02255_zpsk8jxpn0u.jpg

CAM02254_zpsgcne7tmw.jpg

Funny that the PO told me that the car had no leaks anywhere in the brake system. He told me that it was normal for the brake fluid to "evaporate or disappear".

CAM02238_zpszssm3zse.jpg

CAM02241_zps0rhpye5i.jpg

proof that the rear left wheel cylinder was not leaking when the rear right was.

CAM02241_zps0rhpye5i.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels I picked up. They're 14 x 6.5" +10 offset. They appear to fit, but we'll see once the tires get put on.

That's a good size/offset for a 1200. They will likely poke out a little bit in the front, but be fine in the back. Switching to 280ZX struts would make the fronts tuck better (and give you bigger brakes).

And although you didn't ask, a 185/55-14 would be a good size tire for that wheel on a 1200.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

That's a good size/offset for a 1200. They will likely poke out a little bit in the front, but be fine in the back. Switching to 280ZX struts would make the fronts tuck better (and give you bigger brakes).

And although you didn't ask, a 185/55-14 would be a good size tire for that wheel on a 1200.  :thumbup:

For the front I already have the zx struts. You helped me out with the info (thanks again) on what is needed to convert the front to zx.

Yeah, I didn't ask about the tires because I already have some. Whether they are the right tires or not, that's a different story :rofl: . Hoping 195/60/14 will tuck in under the rear fenders. If not, I'll have to roll them a bit. I don't want to do that, but...

I have run 195/60/14 on my 1200 (with stock suspension and no wheel lip mods) and had some rub issues. Cannot currently remember what I am running, but if it warms up today I may trudge through the snow to the barn and have a looksee.  You mention 3 spots of rust, I am curious about where they are since the spare tire well looks perfect.  It look like this vehicle has rocker mouldings....these were a great source for creating rust in your rocker panels.

Car looks the goods, little bit jealous about the orange.

• Like 1

I have run 195/60/14 on my 1200 (with stock suspension and no wheel lip mods) and had some rub issues. Cannot currently remember what I am running, but if it warms up today I may trudge through the snow to the barn and have a looksee. You mention 3 spots of rust, I am curious about where they are since the spare tire well looks perfect. It look like this vehicle has rocker mouldings....these were a great source for creating rust in your rocker panels.

Car looks the goods, little bit jealous about the orange.

I got the tires mounted today and test fit them in the rear. Looks like it will rub a bit, just like you guys said (not that i doubted you 1200 experts ;) ). I would like to lower the car about 2" in the rear so I'm going to have to roll the inner fender lip so the wheels will clear.

I had been looking for an orange 1200 for the longest time so when the PO told me he had an orange 1200 he had my attention.

The rust on the floor boards seems to have been caused by a leaking heater core valve. What are you guys using to to replace it? I tried the one used on the 620, but nissan told me they no longer make it.

I'll post some pics once I get on a pc. I can't seem to be able to copy the img on this tablet.

Awesome progress. So are you happy with the tire size overall? I'm really bothered by my 185/60/14s on my 1200 but only because I see how much it raised the car compared to the stock 12's. I know this has probably been covered a million times. but what do you think of the 1200 vs your 510s?

Lol. Is that right? The guy that sold them to me swore they were for these wheels. I'm taking them off since they won't fit over the zx hubs.

They definitely are. My Crown had the same center caps, and a grill emblem that matched. Something to peruse...

If they haven't been modified, post them up on JNC in the Toyota Marketplace. Some Toyotaku would pay good money for them.  :thumbup:

leaking heater core valve. What are you guys using to to replace it?

Speakers.  :rofl:

I know this has probably been covered a million times. but what do you think of the 1200 vs your 510s?

Everything on it is smaller, lighter weight, and more cheaply made.   ^_^

Oh, and when you put the front wheels on, make sure you turn it lock-to-lock and check clearances before you drive it. There's a 95% chance those tires will clip the front edge of the fender opening when you turn. You can gingerly pull them out a bit to keep it from happening, if you're set on that tire size. 

[qcan't name=blitzed" post="1338362" timestamp="1452584115]Awesome progress. So are you happy with the tire size overall? I'm really bothered by my 185/60/14s on my 1200 but only because I see how much it raised the car compared to the stock 12's. I know this has probably been covered a million times. but what do you think of the 1200 vs your 510s?

I can't tell you if I like the tires yet because i still have the car on jack stands. I'm currently working on the front suspension. I'm putting '80 210 control arms, strut rods and steering nuckles. I bought new outer tie rod ends and ball joints for a 210 and inner tie rod ends for a 1200. Also preparing the 280zx struts for better brakes and narrower track to help tuck in the wider tires.

i think DF nailed it with the comment of everything being cheaper and lighter on the 1200. In the sense of ride quality and driving experience, well I can't really say much about that yet. I only drove it about 130 miles home and started working on the car. I will say, how ever, that the car drove like a Cadillac compared to my 510s. The ride was smooth, comfortable and i was able to carry a conversation without raising my voice very much. There's not much power in these stock power plants fbut that's pretty cool , I think. The lack of power will force me to enjoy the drive and ride a bit more. As far as looks between a 510 and a 1200? Well lets just say im a sucker for the fast back look. I love the fast back look in all makes and models.

They definitely are. My Crown had the same center caps, and a grill emblem that matched. Something to peruse...

If they haven't been modified, post them up on JNC in the Toyota Marketplace. Some Toyotaku would pay good money for them.  :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip, DF. I'll end up doing that. Around here people will just steal them from the parking lots. I'm also not going to use the incorrect caps and look like a bigger dork than i already am ;)

Oh, and when you put the front wheels on, make sure you turn it lock-to-lock and check clearances before you drive it. There's a 95% chance those tires will clip the front edge of the fender opening when you turn. You can gingerly pull them out a bit to keep it from happening, if you're set on that tire size.

Thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind. I would hate to damage the fenders. As far as the tire size, I had purchased them before I thought of asking or done research on the best tire size :(

I can't tell you if I like the tires yet because i still have the car on jack stands. I'm currently working on the front suspension. I'm putting '80 210 control arms, strut rods and steering nuckles. I bought new outer tie rod ends and ball joints for a 210 and inner tie rod ends for a 1200. Also preparing the 280zx struts for better brakes and narrower track to help tuck in the wider tires.

Good on ya.  :thumbup:

i think DF nailed it with the comment of everything being cheaper and lighter on the 1200. In the sense of ride quality and driving experience, well I can't really say much about that yet. I only drove it about 130 miles home and started working on the car. I will say, how ever, that the car drove like a Cadillac compared to my 510s. The ride was smooth, comfortable and i was able to carry a conversation without raising my voice very much. 

They have a good bit more suspension travel stock than a 510. And much softer springs/shocks. They do ride very well.  B)

The vent windows in the front doors are something the 510 really needs, too...  

Thanks for the info. I will keep this in mind. I would hate to damage the fenders. As far as the tire size, I had purchased them before I thought of asking or done research on the best tire size :(

Could always get a pair of 175/60-14s for the front, then save the unused front pair for when you burn off the rear tires.   ^_^

The heater valve is available on eBay from Bprojects out of Japan. Just checked and they are still on there. Sorry I can't copy a link from the app it seems. NLA from the dealers I tried. It is expensive at $79.00, but is the correct part and requires no mods. You might be able to rig something else, but...

I