End of Round One and for bonus points... "What gearbox is this?"

batesy

Okay, so I've been wanting a 5 speed manual for some time to put in my 180B (610) ... 'cause it's presently an auto.

Anyway, I've been delaying the necessary transplant for a few reasons:

1) lazy

2) no 5 speed box

3) no pedal box

4) hurts my head buying clutch, flywheel, master and slave cylinder. Not the actual 'buying' ... more the resulting 'where's the money gone?' interrogation from the boss.

Now, I do have a couple of manual boxes. Both 4 speeds; one and old 180b stock box and the second, a newer 4 speed.

Or so I assumed.

Truth is, I haven't a clue what it is. (910 4 speed, maybe?)

Can anyone enlighten me? Bearing in mind this is an Australian gearbox.

IMG_20160108_095321_zpsn0kdvcpx.jpg

IMG_20160108_095308_zpsf1r8qagw.jpg

IMG_20160108_095331_zpsqi4ayq0a.jpg

IMG_20160108_095346_zpsoypoxums.jpg

IMG_20160108_095453%201_zpsqykjo83e.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only the obvious... BW top loader. Generally looks like it will mount to an L series definitely does not look like it won't.

30210 is Nissan for 'transmission assy' but the rest V9600 does not come up on any of my parts lists. I don't know why they have a BW when there were lots of L series 4 speeds available.

The 180B SSS did come with a 5 speed. I have always assumed it probably was a 'long' dogleg but perhaps in Australia a different one was used??? That one is definitely NOT a dogleg. Better run it through the gears see what shift pattern it has. Turn the input and watch the output. Find reverse then try above it.

1..3..?

2..4..R

If there is a 5th gear it will be an overdrive. So 10 input turns will give 8 or 9 output.

This is not a Nissan dogleg but the shift pattern would look like this...

R..2...4

I was told it was a 5 speed when I got it a couple of years ago. Swapped it and an L20 for a set of stock rims. Was pretty happy with the exchange. Got home went through the gears... mmm, must have dropped one out somewhere on the way back home! 

Put it in the garage and forgot about it.

Mike, I just went through them again then and this seems to be the shift pattern:

R    1    3

|___|___|

|      |

2    4

RatWagon, the google search I did also seemed to point to the 4 speed. But there is scant info out there. This morning I had myself convinced I was finding a first gear below that reverse shift.

I didn't want to look too hard though, because I was living in faint hope that it might be a five speed! :)

The first 280zx turbos (Dec. '80 or half way through the '81 model year) were automatics. (how pathetic was that of Nissan???) A turbo option, 280zx saddled with an automatic, screamed "Give me a 5 speed, hell I'll settle for a 4 speed!!!" Nissan's 71B was pretty much at the end of it's power handling life even with the latest up grades with better counter bearing and synchros. The 71C was not really ready yet (although introduced first in the N/A 300zx in '84) so they went with the bastard Nissan/T-5 in Jan '82 and for some reason (known only to them) continued it into the 300zx turbo till '86. The T-5 was not a great transmission it was only .... adequate.

• Like 1

The FS5W71B were used in the N Am 620 truck with the L20B engine. It the same one used in the 280z car so strong enough for a six cylinder. It should also fit right into your 610 as it's also the same length as the stock 4 speed that was in it.

The FS5W71B was introduced as an option for the '77 model year on the 280z and the 620, and on the 6 cylinder 810 for '79. Continued on to become standard equipment on the 720 truck in '83, the 280zx (non turbo) in '80 and the Maxima. Was standard equipment on the new S110 and S12 200sx when the earlier 4 speeds were discontinued.

Came in Wide, Mid and Close ratio gear sets. Mid ratio would be best for a car. Only the post '79 280zx had the close ratio box and while the lighter 610 could use it, the overdrive is 2 times higher than the mid ratio making this truly a cruising speed gear that lugs the RPM down. If running in a light B210 or 510 it would be alright or if using a larger displacement 2.2 or 2.3 stroker L20B perhaps. You would be happier with a mid ratio box I think.

Added your pictures to my collection, I thank you.

For a stock car the IRS is better than ok. A bit complicated but good ride and handling. When really pushed, it does some really weird things that a solid axle doesn't. By the time you eliminate the bad you may as well have a solid axle.

That is the perfect starting point for a good 4x4 system behind an L motor. Any early Jeep trans and many Chevy, Ford and Dodge trans will bolt up to that bellhousing, in which case you can run a D300 t-case or multitudes of other cases giving you really low crawl ratios.

Too bad you're in AUS or I'd buy it from you just for the bellhousing.

Are you sure you don't want a 4x4 180b?