510 Goon gas hatch supports......anyone done it?

Rays74

Was thinking about replacing my missing torsion spring with gas struts but have been unable to find any mention of it being done on a 510......anyone have any experience OR even pictures of one? I need some direction on geometry and leverage if I decide to go it alone.

The grocery getter needs a working hatch support! lol

--Ray 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been wondering about doing this too. I've seen guys use the BMW gas shocks for their hoods a lot, but I don't know that it would be enough to hold up a hatch. 

Maybe something off of a car with a really heavy trunk lid? That way you'd be working with a strut smaller than what is on say, the back of a minivan, but has the load bearing you'd need for a small hatchback. 

Actually, I wonder what they use on the back hatches for early gen Honda Civic hatch backs....

Or any other wagon.

I have an E46 wagon. Ill look at what is on there. I think the bigger problem is that there is no room in the Jam for a gas strut to be hidden.

And then there is VW Toureg style, where the struts are located in the roof...

This would be a challenge due to the hatch glass. You don't want that ugly shock right there, nor is it really made to support a fulcrum like that. I'd fear the flex point on the glass. That said. I think if you leave the existing torsion bars and add a very light shock it might be fine. Just still ugly. Can you fix the existing system?

Thanks,

The issue is that one of my torsion bars broke and even though I have a new pair I have been unable to figure just how to install them.......I have read the DQ article. Using the gas struts won't look as clean and I'm aware that there will be some geometry to work out  (one thought was to mount them like the VW has with the strut pushing on the wagon's curved hinge....I feared though that the leverage wouldn't be enough with that heavy door).

I had really thought SOMEONE would have already been down this road  :confused:

Exactly.....so the reason I am serious about making the gas strut work here. It may not be the prettiest install when done but it will be functional and much less frightful when it comes time to replace the gas springs....lol. 

Ok, I'm on my own :)

You may be on your own for a 510, but the strut swaps have been done on lots of stuff, so you should be able tofind lots of useful info about doing it. Be the pioneer and post tons of pics and info!

i see you have found and started your own thread 3 yrs ago 

I did, and had the utmost in confidence it would be a simple job.......hmmm not so, in fact I wound up with a near broken left index finger when last I tried the install.

--Ray 

Just put the new ones in and be done. Why add clutter?

Thanks, it's hard to understand if you don't have a wagon.......without the correct tool it's near impossible. 

This has been done by DUNCAN on his wagon.  I think he ended up making a tool to help with the leverage to twist the bars to bolt them down. He goes to the Moreno Valley meet pretty often. you might try to PM him. HE is a pretty cool guy that would probably help you out with your problem.

I was eyeing my hatch last night and ended up shaking my head. The factory solution is really perfect. Have you made the tool shown on your other thread? I think a tool and a friend and an hour would have this finished right.

Agreed.  Especially considering the hatch, like the 510 hood, was not designed to be supported where you would end up with the gas spring mounts.  You may end up buckling something...

Made this from scratch at work a while back...