240z Roof Replacement - Help

My 1973 240z had an aftermarket sunroof installed and it was crap so I chucked it when I stripped the car down for rebuild. I bought another roof from someone and proceeded to perform the swap. I'm not a body guy and expected to have a bit of massaging done before paint. How far should I take the roof? Prep/tack the new skin on? Perform no welding? Tack/grind/etc.? I don't want to do too much or too little and have the body shop cursing me for being a dummy.

Thanks!

20151231_104623.jpg

20151231_104614.jpg

20160101_141815.jpg

20160101_141946.jpg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My 1973 240z had an aftermarket sunroof installed and it was crap so I chucked it when I stripped the car down for rebuild. I bought another roof from someone and proceeded to perform the swap. I'm not a body guy and expected to have a bit of massaging done before paint. How far should I take the roof? Prep/tack the new skin on? Perform no welding? Tack/grind/etc.? I don't want to do too much or too little and have the body shop cursing me for being a dummy.

Thanks!

Do you have a mig welder, spot welder? if not, then i'de remove that new roof skin and fit it over the roof frame and put a few small sheetmetal screws in it to keep it from falling off and

hand it over to your body shop. You've done the hard part and thats drilling those damn spot welds.

Sorry to say but you have discovered the downside of sunroof installs!  Unless you have the build sheet that shows that the sunroof was a factory build, not a dealer or aftermarket owner inspired unit, walk away from them!  When I bought my 240SX I had to wait weeks until my dealer finally found one that had not been butchered by aftermarket sunroof grafting.  I also gained an extra inch of headroom by having the original as designed headliner!