Santa's Little Helper. My 521 project.

Suplexilicious

The body was placed on an Isuzu chassis or something and had a Chevy small block in it. It was somebody's big 4x4 solid axle project that got sold last year. I'm guessing the person selling the body bought the project and wants a different body. It was pretty badly mounted on the frame from what I recall.

The seller said he got it in a trade and was planing on making a dune buggy or something of that nature with it but his plans had changed. After seeing some of his other projects, I can understand why he is letting it go. He had a Classic Bronco, a type 2 bus, a cool chopped top pickup among other things.

I guess I should get back to updates on my own truck, eh?

I managed to get my instrument cluster back in. The LEDs and repainted needles make a huge difference. The reflective "chrome" vinyl I placed inside the cluster to help out with poor lighting pattern didn't have the results I was expecting (I shouldn't be surprised). Maybe a few small craft mirrors would work better than the chrome vinyl. For now, I am pleased with the initial results. One of the turn signal lights comes on with the hazards but not with the turn signal stalk. I'll trace that down later. Also, it would be nice if I could get the Ignition, oil pressure, flashers and the other turn signal light to come on - probably an easy fix like a polarity issue with the LEDs. Haha.

blogger-image--640327833.jpg

blogger-image--885922069.jpg

I also worked on eliminating some of the "monkey motion" slop in the shift linkage. One of these days, I'll figure out that it's easier to research what I am about to do before I start taking everything apart. haha... After "pinching" the forks that attach to the lower portion, I decided to replace the bushings to shore up the fore/aft movement. Before purchasing anything, I knew I had a couple of bushings that "might just fit". Normally that's a disappointing process that results in removal and having to buy the parts that I should've bought in the first place. Well, not this time! The bushing fit perfect, the pin fit perfect and all is well. After "assemble in reverse of removal" I gave it a shot to see if things were any better. Neutral from side to side resulted in a 3.25" total movement. The stick is slightly stiffer and rowing through gears is now crisp and (relatively - its still a 40 year old truck) precise. Video is below Not great quality but it gives you an idea.

[yt]

[/yt]
  • Like 2
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I've tracked down the fuel delivery (or lack thereof) issues, the plan is as follows...

- windsheild - I've tracked down a couple of companies that make windshields but they are $$$ so I'd like to find a used one if possible. I must admit that working on the truck is a lot easier without the windshield. Haha.

Nice truck and the rims are tits! I had a windshield issue when I bought my truck as well. Tried everywhere for PNP's, but no luck. There just happens to be an auto glass guy here in town that loves old classic cars. He tracked down the glass that comes from England and there were only 15 in the country for the year. I did pay 6 bills for it, but I had no other choice. Now after a year of driving the truck, I forgot the price tag, because driving the 521 is awesome and I would do it all again. You might be lucky enough to find one around used or PNP. If you're in no rush to get her on the road, just take your time and one may fall into your lap. Never know.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well, some bad and good news.

The bad news - I've sold the 521 (buyer should be picking it up today) and tossed the rest of the boys on eBay. I'm pretty bummed that it's going away but the buyer only lives a short distance away. The new owner has a shop too so he has a much better chance of getting it back on the road.

The good news - I've purchased a replacement truck that will be less wrenching and more driving. I don't have a problem with wrenching...it just needs to coincide with the latter. Haha. For specs on the new truck, check this thread---> http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14474-my-new-toy-truck/page-1

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

It's been a while since I've been on but a few things have happened. I sold the 521 that this thread was started for. The new owner has done a ton of stuff - not my style but also not my truck anymore. He posts on the Ratsun FB page a lot.

The Toyota mentioned above has been a blast. I haven't done a ton to it but did manage to get it fitted with electronic ignition and am in the process of rear discs and an LSD.

I also managed to pick up another 521. It definitely needs some love but the floors and rockers are in good shape. It'll need some brake work, possibly some wiring, a tune up and some Monkey motion delete. Haha.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I still need to figure out the best way to run backup lights. I snagged some 2x2 LED off-road lights but the housing is too big for the Datsun housing. I'll probably end up with a 2x2 grommeted flood that'll fit inside the original plastics instead of mounting the off-road lights separate - making for an "off" look.

• 2 weeks later...