Santa's Little Helper. My 521 project.

Suplexilicious

The block needs to vent, if that is a vented oil cap, then your likely alright, but if it's not vented, your going to start blowing seals and oil will start leaking out of said blown seals.

You could likely rig something up on the block vent that goes to the PCV, but the PCV would not likely work properly anymore.

That's a nice looking valve cover, I would not drill it myself, I would have two valve covers, one for driving, and that one for shows if you keep your engine compartment clean like Joel does.

Stupid question but how would I know if the cap is vented?  I would assume it is being that there aren't any other provisions cast into it for said venting.

• Like 1
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a little frustrated today. I knew my floorboards we're going to need replacing - no shocker there as it's a fairly common problem on 521s.

After work, I decided to assess the rust problem and see if the damage was localized or if the bench and kick-ass AstroTurf carpet were hiding anything else. After yanking the bench/carpet, I got a better look. Needless to say, I'm bummed out about what I found.

The truck has cancer all over anyway. However, I can handle it on the fenders, bedsides and rockers for now. I'm trying to decide if I should find one that is not rotting away and use mine as a parts car or attempt to fix it (I REALLY don't want to because body work can suck it).

Pics of floor damage. I feel like they don't do it justice but take a look.

blogger-image-1338726334.jpg

blogger-image--749985602.jpg

The condition of my exhaust. Pinches, crimps and bends throughout. Haha.

blogger-image--359385283.jpg

The one plus for this afternoon. My heater looks (I say "looks" because all the levers are there and not broken or seized up - not because I've actually tried it. Haha) to be in working condition.

blogger-image-1142494590.jpg

• Like 1

Take a look at this truck.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

The back part of the floor, the part under the seat is pretty much as it is in the first page of the long thread.  I have cut, bent, and fitted two 18 gauge steel floor pans for the front part of the floor.  The front pans are held on with a few screws, for now.

I do have a second cab, that will be on this truck eventually, but it also has rusty floor pans. 

Because a 521 cab sits on a strong frame, you can get away with the cab not being as strong as you would with a car, that uses unibody construction.

• Like 2

Take a look at this truck.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/

Because a 521 cab sits on a strong frame, you can get away with the cab not being as strong as you would with a car, that uses unibody construction.

My floors look every bit as rusty as those. For now, I'll keep my focus elsewhere. I've got a garage that it sits in and I'm not driving it so I can get away with ignoring them for now. When I do get to the floors, it'll give me a good excuse to hone my welding skills.

• Like 1

bike is for sale i bought and it just sits.

I laugh about my wife killing me over the Datsun and all subsequent purchases for said Datsun.

I absolutely know she'd kill me if I started down the BMX road again. I was BIG into the mid-school stuff; JAD, Herrington, HAWK, ELF, ACE, Cannondale, Mountain Cycle, Redman, Iron Horse, brand X, S&M, Powerlite, GT, Robinson, Hanebrink, Haro. And the list goes on.

• Like 2

I laugh about my wife killing me over the Datsun and all subsequent purchases for said Datsun.

I absolutely know she'd kill me if I started down the BMX road again. I was BIG into the mid-school stuff; JAD, Herrington, HAWK, ELF, ACE, Cannondale, Mountain Cycle, Redman, Iron Horse, brand X, S&M, Powerlite, GT, Robinson, Hanebrink, Haro. And the list goes on.

That is a list in it self. I got from a coworker and he needed money. I'm 320 lbs I'm exceeding the bike max weight..lol

• Like 1

Morning update.

The 1300 valve cover was sniped by someone else but I was able to score a kph speedometer.

I guess not getting the valve cover is a good thing as I can focus on the tank and converting to disc brakes.

After some research, I've decided against having the tank done by a radiator shop. The shops in town who actually perform the service quoted me $200, $250 and $300, respectively. I've heard good things about www.hirschauto.com tank renewal products so I'll give that a shot - saving me about $150.

• Like 1

Woah how much was that valve cover that your gonna use the money for disk brakes instead??

Ouch prices seem high for tank job. I would probably just go with a new aluminum radiator. They go for like $130 now on ebay, ive had name brands and cheepos and both treated me good. As a matter of fact the cheaper aluminum radiators with no brand treated me better than the "good/cool" brand ones

• Like 2

Woah how much was that valve cover that your gonna use the money for disk brakes instead??

Ouch prices seem high for tank job. I would probably just go with a new aluminum radiator. They go for like $130 now on ebay, ive had name brands and cheepos and both treated me good. As a matter of fact the cheaper aluminum radiators with no brand treated me better than the "good/cool" brand ones

Valve cover wasn't crazy money but enough to cover a few caliprs from the junk yard.
  • Like 1

My speedometer showed up today. The glass had a serious layer of dust and grime on the inside so I've spent the afternoon cleaning it up. It worked well as its hard to see the glass in the first pic. The chrome trim has some surface rust so I'll need to figure out what to do with it.

Before reassembling, I'll replace all the bulbs (led) and freshen the needles with some paint.

Enough talk. Here's the pics.

blogger-image--1305642367.jpg

blogger-image-1738797820.jpg

• Like 2