windshield wipers

cruznude

crazy thing is that after 6 months of getting truck running, I used the wipers for the first time today and they barely want to move. They move but so slow and this is probbally at half the speed they would usually run at. Wanting to know if others have had this problem and what was the fix. I have another motor and will try that this weekend. Could this be a switch problem?

• Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The arms where they come through the body... pivots they're called. They fill with dirt and old grease and get tight. Take the arms off and unbolt the cowl to get at everything. Watch out for those small 8mm (10mm?) nuts that hold the pivots to the body..they will easily snap off they are so small. Definitely grease the linkage meeting points.

I found that replacing the alternator with a 90 amp output had more voltage at idle and they were faster. The stock is barely 38 amp and at idle the wiper and the heater fan slow down. If headlights are on the pulse with the turn signal. I wouldn't change it just for that but it is a nice extra benefit

One last thing... RaineX. Treat your glass to this and the blade glides over the glass easier. Above 40 the rain just blows off from vehicle speed, no wiper needed.

• Like 2

Disconnect the linkage from the wiper motor.  Then turn on the windshield wiper motor.  If the motor goes much faster, see if the linkage moves easy.

The motor may need to be cleaned and relubed.  The wiper pivots may need lube.  

My 521, this truck, http://community.ratsun.net/topic/30606-my-ratsun-datsun-521/ I lubed the wiper pivots, using a mix of Acetone, and ATF.  The wipers work with good speed.  My 521 currently has a stock 35 amp alternator.

Most Saturn alternator swap jobs I have seen on Datsuns turn into a hack job, and I have fit a Nissan Pathfinder alternator on a 521/L-16.

• Like 1