Greengoon's 620 is... green!

greengoon

Let me start by saying that although I like the color green, I never set out to own one -let alone 2- green Datsuns. It just happened that way. Recently I started thinking that it was time for a truck in my life again and when I stumbled upon this low mile rust free 620 I had to jump on it!

Turns out, a friend of mine had looked at the truck last year but was unable to keep an appointment with the old man to purchase it. The old guy changed his mind and kept it for the time being. He recently re-listed it for sale as he was moving away to Florida to retire. I befriended the old man this time and struck a deal and I'm now the proud owner of this '75.

green620_zps5cmp09fd.jpg

It has 39K original on the L20B. It’s an automatic and has been well maintained. Other than the ‘old guy touch up’ paint spots and a few small dings its in great shape. Floor boards are still shiny. I’ve been driving the truck around town and it’s very reliable. Heater works great and everything else works too. Drum brakes work surprisingly well and he even gave me a brand new master cylinder and new brake drums with the truck. I don’t think I’ll need them anytime soon.

engine_zpstrk6hypn.jpg

floor_zpsdkeohlni.jpg

inst_zpsl76s3fqv.jpg

12077478_10153222982556089_927103583_n_z

Super dope toneau cover went straight into the dumpster before I even left his house.

IMG_20151014_112648_zps1eqwpbvo.jpg

Putting it to work already.

IMG_20151014_121339_zpsdqpcecad.jpg

IMG_20151114_141742_zpsm5mjgz6c.jpg

IMG_20151014_134045_zps07kpzbm0.jpg

The guy hadn't even heard of ratsun.net. He just thought that it was 'rat roddish'

IMG_20151014_134009_zpsvx8symke.jpg

Now for my current plans. I’ve been dialing in my new garage so I haven’t even vacuumed the truck out since I got it. I want to start cleaning up the paint and getting it back to a decent one color patina. I plan to lower the truck but it's so functional right now that it won’t be too extreme --yet ;) I’m going to keep the steelies and hubcaps for now.

IMG_20151124_153223_zpsyghzvj4r.jpg

I'm thinking of having my shop's logo painted on the door. Probably the same local artist that painted JDM Legends’ old school graphics on their 620. I’m really excited about this truck because it runs and functions already so I can have maximum fun with it in the limited time that I have.

IMG_20151124_095027_zpsbiqqqti9.jpg

Now I've got the Holy Grail of Datsuns. A wagon and a 620. They just both happen to be green.

IMG_20151124_154158_zpskucbfuna.jpg

• Like 8
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice score, and I am more partial to 521 trucks.

I believe the earlier 620 brakes are the same as 521 brakes, except the bolts holding the brake parts together got Metric threaded fasteners, instead of SAE fasteners.

Keep the brakes adjusted, every oil change.  Then the drum brakes work pretty good.

• Like 3

Lockleaf, as far as I know, its been in Utah since at least 2000. That's as far as I've seen in the maintenance records. It had 36K on it in 2000. The guy I bought it from got it from a guy in Morgan in 2011. The owner I bought it from put a little over 3K in 4 years.

Its not the snow its the salt I worry about  :w00t:

I'm cleaning out the interior now. I'll post pictures soon.

• Like 1

I'm amazed at how clean the 620's interior is now that I've taken the seat out and cleaned up years of dust and dirt. The lower front floor pans were actually repainted at some point as there are tape lines and the green color doesn't quite match up. I'm not seeing any sign of repair, just looks like a preventative measure perhaps. The rest of the finish under the seat and back of cab is original and shiny. Even the factory floor mats show very little wear. Truly a 39k pickup. I'm going to run a Mexican blanket for awhile until I have the seat redone.

IMG_20151229_195926_zpshzrtylbx.jpg

IMG_20151230_133429_zpskl33w6bk.jpg

IMGP9951_zpsiny49q4l.jpg

IMGP9956_zpss2ykgoak.jpg

IMG_20160103_174831_zps363vm3ml.jpg

IMG_20160103_174530_zpsvpplrkze.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks Charlie. I grew up in So Cal but I've been in SLC since '94 and I've really enjoyed the seasons and the outdoor life.

As soon as I got the truck, people started offering me manual transmissions but I may just keep the auto for a while. It's interesting, works well and I'n not getting any younger ;)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not finding as much time as I'd like to work on the truck. Oh yea, its been damn cold outside too.

Got the interior rubber back in. Really cleaned up nice. I'm going to enlist my wife's help in tailoring a Mexican blanket to fit the seat.

IMG_20160121_155644_zpsdvkznec5.jpg

IMG_20160121_155702_zpsp96rkzmd.jpg

On a warm day last week I took the rear bumper off and fixed a tail light bulb. Buckets and lenses are extremely clean. I'm picking away at the 'old man touch up' with Scotchbrite and lacquer thinner. Hoping to make the truck roughly one color. Lowering it is on my short to do list too.

IMG_20160122_125243_zps0g8kmxms.jpg

IMG_20160122_130357_zpshpak2j52.jpg

IMG_20160128_103202_zpshxjcpbuf.jpg

• Like 3

On a warm day last week I took the rear bumper off and fixed a tail light bulb. Buckets and lenses are extremely clean. I'm picking away at the 'old man touch up' with Scotchbrite and lacquer thinner. Hoping to make the truck roughly one color. Lowering it is on my short to do list too.

IMG_20160128_103202_zpshxjcpbuf.jpg

Stay away from those lenses with lacquer thinner.  I tried to clean up a set a long time ago and it only took a couple minutes for the thinner to get to the glue holding them together, and they just fell apart.  I got the last set the dealer had at the time.  

• Like 2

Absolutely Mic! I've been around plastic fabricating and model cars enough to know what lacquer thinner does to plastic. The only place I'm using it is on the spray paint done to the body. If I'm anywhere near something that's not metal, it comes off.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I haven't found the time to work on my truck but I am driving it and using it for my business. I love this thing more every time I drive it. With the weather warming up and my bathroom remodel project coming to an end, I see quality time with my cars in the near future. Till then, here are some 'action shots'. :lol:

IMG_20160209_093131_zpsq5zovbkp.jpg

IMG_20160217_110639_zpsnlk8gh86.jpg

IMG_20160209_084257_zpsowcsdtii.jpg

• Like 4