1985 720 engine swap

Crytek89

Well, was away at a conference for a week - spent this weekend working on the truck though.

All of the wiring is done with the CAN/AM box, vacuum lines and heater hoses done (had to remove the intake manifold for ease of convenience - it's back on now) and while I'm working this week my uncle is going to work on the exhaust down pipe to fit into my new catback - it doesn't necessarily go into the frame rail when installed but it does hit the torsion bar thing.

Other than that, picked up the ignition coil and p/s reservoir today which were the last things I needed and hopefully I should have a running truck by Saturday.

I still cannot stress enough, don't do this swap without a full garage though.

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Progress, glad to see you are plugging along. Redeyes mounts dropped in perfect for me I wonder if there is a difference in 240 to truck block. The difference in manifold interference may be the dual cam head. Also is your trans level? Mine took a 5 degree angle to the pass side. Barely noticible but hadn't been mentioned before. Once installed I had a few unrelated issues pop up. Power steering pump blew a seal and a engine coolant hose gave up the ghost. So be prepared for a few gremlins. I am interested in how your cooling system turns out. I have the stock radiator and everything works but hose routing looks Dr. Suess ish. Inlet and outlets closer to the edge of the radiator would work much better. The hoses have been cut and clocked with steel conduit sleeves inside so they don't kink but that ain't right. The full complement of tools really helps. Awaiting your next progress report.

• Like 1

I picked up the mounts from ]2eDeYe, hence the slight massaging to get them to work.

My trans is centered but it's raised up a bit from stock but only by a couple degrees so no issues there.

Cooling system I used a 240 mishimoto rad, ended up making a couple steel brackets to hold it in place with rubber grommets on the bottom so that if the frame moves it still can adjust slightly when driving.

For the power steering I actually used 1800psi hose with hydraulic fitting from an IH tractor, I don't think they'll be blowing off anytime soon :P 

• Like 1

h5IF5yjl.jpg

Right side engine mount - again, had to be slightly modified to work.

N3vzjNHl.jpg

PY4GH7ll.jpg

AerB5ydl.jpg

This is how it's currently sitting now.. probably another weekend of work to get it running.

Just curious is the engine leaning to the drivers side?

enginebay.jpg

Probably troubleshoot time! It is looking good. Do we need to wait until next weekend?

Yeah, I failed to realize there's that hot lead from the battery with the 70amp fuse, it'll be installed today and I should hear back on whether it'll fire up or not. I'm personally heading up this Friday after work to take it for a spin. But I'll know whether it runs or not today or tomorrow.

Certainly excited though! - and have it booked for a Japanese Show and Shine on Sunday.

• Like 1

Well as stated.. the engine runs. I'll have to make a minor adjustment to the dizzy to get the timing right and a minor vacuum leak on the intake.

Hopefully that'll be all.. but.. she does run and I'm very happy and excited to finally announce it that this part of my project is now complete (for the most part)

• Like 1

Well made it down to my home city and the All Japanese Show and Shine this Sunday - Didn't win anything but had fun regardless.

Had a friend come over who's very adept with the KA series and we discovered a few issues I'll have to address over the next week but all-in-all very pleased with how it all went.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

What was the final outcome and the bugs that needed to be worked out? You did a great job until this point but if you leave us at this will be another 90% ka swap. I am sure you did a search and have to admit most ka swap threads sizzle and only a handful made it to DD status. Then there are a few dingleberry's like myself that finish but never make a competent post. I know what my issues were but I want to see yours and the final solutions to reach DD status.

• Like 1

The issues themselves were minor in comparison to the swap itself - it is in fact my DD at this point.

I had a vacuum line that I needed to connect for my FPR, exhaust gaskets were flipped (whoops), couple bolts missing here and there and o2 sensor wire needs to be relocated as it's too close to the exhaust.

90% of these things have been dealt with now and aside from a little grumbling in 1st as I take off from the line (new clutch) she's running like a dream.

• Like 1