Window Track/Crank/System Lube

Tolkmod

Having some issues with my rear windows, probably because they just aren't used very often.  I read some where that you can lube it up to help it flow a little better.  Seeing as lube on the window track just doesn't sound right, seeing as it would get all over the window (so i'm assuming that it meant all the moving components of the track, not the track the window slides in).

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.  

Also, what kind of lube works best in these situations?  

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the window channel felts are left dry.

I think a white lithium based 'grease' is used on the internal regulator moving mechanism. It's not listed in any maintenance FSMs I have so it's assumed to be lubed for life. Don't use oil, WD-40, axle grease or Vaseline they will collect dirt and water will mix with some and remain. White lithium is, or becomes 'drier' (if sprayed) and more of a paste. 

Be sure your outer rubber squeegee is in good shape to seal out as much water as possible.

• Like 1

No, the window channel felts are left dry.

I think a white lithium based 'grease' is used on the internal regulator moving mechanism. It's not listed in any maintenance FSMs I have so it's assumed to be lubed for life. Don't use oil, WD-40, axle grease or Vaseline they will collect dirt and water will mix with some and remain. White lithium is, or becomes 'drier' (if sprayed) and more of a paste. 

Be sure your outer rubber squeegee is in good shape to seal out as much water as possible.

Sweet, i'll check out the white lithium stuff.   Been lookin all over amazon and ebay and haven't been able to find new rubber squeegees for my b210, anyone have a source they can share?

Also looking for the full weather stripping rubbers, and I'm trying to avoid spending the $200+ that the guy from Thailand on ebay wants lol

• Like 1

Do not use silicone products anywhere near a car or parts you are getting ready to paint.   It causes fisheyes in newly sprayed paint.

Okay, thanks.  Don't have anything going to or even ready for paint just yet, but thanks for the tip.  It'll probably be a few years before Liz is ready for body work and paint upgrades.  lol