Can't find the Forum thread for morons...

batesy

I can't find the Ratsun forum thread for morons so I'm just gonna embarrass my stupid dumbass here.

So... I put a 32/36 weber on my 180b (610). Lots of stuffing around later -- carb off, carb on again (I swear I was pulling off more times than a 14 year old.) --

but finally I get it running after fixing air leaks.

Got left with lots of disconnected hoses hanging from old carb and filter assembly. So, remove a hose, block a hose, replace a hose. All good. Go for drive. All good. Brmm brmm. "Yo... grandma, look at me. Cool dad in orange Datsun. Wanna ride?"

Not so fast... more vacuum issues. More hose replacing.

Pointless though.

Like, literally, POINT-less. Check points. Only electrics part in the whole car that hasn't been replaced. So, file points. 

Bingo. Runs perfect.

But suddenly the auto box doesn't want to change from 2nd to 3rd. 

What the fuck?!

Lift hood. Gotta be vacuum line for auto. Look at hoses. Oh, there we go... dumbass has blocked an auto vacuum line. Goddamn it, Dad was right ... Passion fingers ... I fuck everything I touch.

So... Unblock hose.

Leave line hanging in the air.

Go for drive.

No find 3rd.

You motherfuckerererer.

So here's a multiple choice question...

Has my stupidity fucked:

1. A vacuum modulator? 
  2. An auto gearbox?
  3. My right to be a member on Ratsun?

Additional info:

- Auto was fine yesterday. Even with hoses hanging in the breeze.

- Replaced fuel hose.

- Replaced dizzy vacuum advance hose.

- Blocked a small hose from manifold. Forgot where it ran to. Filter box, I think.

- Removed rocker cover breather to air box hose.

- Replaced hose from engine block breather to intake manifold.

- Filed points.

- Timing is fine. (Note to Hainz: I'm not watching your fucking videos again!) 

- Haven't check transmission fluid level yet but only driven 100miles since last filled. Will check tomorrow morning.

- Sprayed carby cleaner around like a kid pissing in the breeze.

- Revved fuck out of engine.

- Went for drive after that and... no can change into 3rd gear. First fine. Second fine.

• Like 1
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So... Unblock hose.

Leave line hanging in the air.

Sorry, just found this. That hose is supposed to send a vacuum signal to the modulator valve. Vacuum is an indication of engine load. High vacuum... idle, light throttle or deceleration. Low vacuum heavy acceleration. From this vacuum signal the transmission knows when to up shift or hold in gear longer.

The little hose near the back of the engine near the intake (usually) connects to the fitting for the large hose to the brake booster. Finger pointing to metal tube that goes to small hose the goes to fitting on intake just behind it.

automaticvacuumline001Large.jpg 

Thanks guys. Your input is very much appreciated. 

@Wayno: You're right, The one I plugged was the air filter one. That's why I thought it would be okay to block. I wasn't certain though ... I'm not very smart ... but I can lift heavy things. No, wait... I can't even do that.

IMG_20151224_060826_zpsis83i49q.jpg

@Mike: I think you are on the money. I only checked that hose visually. It already had a kink in it but I must have bumped it a dozen times with my hand and a screwdriver. Just checked it then and could feel the split open up. I'll take it out for a spin once the neighbours wake up and see if that fixes it. Definitely going to be sucking air there though!!

IMG_20151224_060849_zpsunsliq4q.jpg

• Like 1

Ok Ill take this one up the ass for you.

I did vedio cause I got tired of writing on how to do timming chains

PS

been ot Gold Coast,Brisbane and various other cities. Adelade last and I just Love the Aussie people culture and their humor. New Zealand also

They actually Love and care for their Datsuns unlike some here where they just rot away

• Like 1

I did vedio cause I got tired of writing on how to do timming chains.

Believe it or not, I didn't even know about the timing notch until I watched your vids!

Even though i'd built three L18s as a young dude... With the help of a Haynes manual. And mates. No wonder I could never get the fuckers to run right.

Nailed this L20 though.

Still not going to give you too much credit though. What with you being American and all. ;)

Ok Ill take this one up the ass for you.

I did vedio cause I got tired of writing on how to do timming chains

PS

been ot Gold Coast,Brisbane and various other cities. Adelade last and I just Love the Aussie people culture and their humor. New Zealand also

They actually Love and care for their Datsuns unlike some here where they just rot away

yea and I've watched that video at least 20 times.. That is so dam cool of you to do.

Batsey

Really I was born in Germany to a Hawaiian Father(US Army) and German mother, raised near Seattle. In Austraila everybody ask if I can do the Haka WTF!!!!!!!

Later got stationed in Germany and drove a 78 MK 3, 3 liter Ford Capri. which is really my 1st love but datsuns are just a better car in the end

all Capris are now gone in the USA. no parts