Finally!!! A real Datsun!

Rhino13

Rhino when I was doing the floor, firewall, and tunnel in my 66 520 Thought about using a 720 firewall floor and tunnel in it.  I kind of wish I would have but it would have been much more work.  This is because of the design of the firewall cowl area of the 520.

If you use the floor from the 720 you will have mounts for the bucket seats if it is a king cab.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhino when I was doing the floor, firewall, and tunnel in my 66 520 Thought about using a 720 firewall floor and tunnel in it. I kind of wish I would have but it would have been much more work. This is because of the design of the firewall cowl area of the 520.

If you use the floor from the 720 you will have mounts for the bucket seats if it is a king cab.

I thought about using the firewall/cowl area too but mine is in good enough shape to keep stock. Even the wheel wells in the cab are in good shape, it's mainly the floors in front of the seat and the wall behind the pedals a bit. It's a standard cab and it would actually be harder and kind of pointless for me to do where the seat mounts, so I'm only doing the rusted out parts to keep the shape as much as possible. My welding skills are as of recent so I'll have to go slow and only do tacks stacked back to back. A grinder finish will make it good enough for me.

• Like 1

On a side note, it's been my plan for a while now to put the lz in the 720 and run it for rats with dats. I have everything I need ordered other than rings and bearings which I'm ordering locally tomorrow, and Draker is going to help me assemble it when we find a time because it's my first time building a motor.

Anyway I've recently gotten into welding with a the little harbor freight 90amp flux core my girlfriend got me for Christmas. It came with a fucked up tip, the weather was shitty and I was lazy so I just got new tips last week. I know it's not the greatest machine but it's been really fun, I've made a few different style shift knobs that actually turned out really good. Because of my new found love of welding and nice weather, I really want to get the floors in the 521, redo all the brake lines, put my spare 720 gas tank in and run new fuel lines with an electric pump and put the lz in it all before rats with dats. It's a stretch, but it's light longer and I have everything I need other than brake lines, fuel lines, fuel pump, and brake parts.

I have to decide soon, so tomorrow I'm going to get the new floors in the 521 and see how I'm feeling about the rest of the work.

• Like 2

My advise while your waiting for your parts to come in.. clean everything as good as possible now. Pull the rings, clean the ring lands, clean the outside of the block and prep for paint. Hell you could paint it while you wait. I wouldn't worry about cleaning the machined mating surfaces just yet. I'll hit those with a yellow roloc disk and they will be clean pretty quickly. Degrease everything you can, it will make for a more enjoyable time when re-assembling it. Also, if everything is clean, it will go together quick!

• Like 2

Also, was this motor a runner before you tore it down?

The motor was a runner, although when I disassembled it there's either one or two timing cover bolts that were broken off into the block already. One is almost flush, one is sticking out a bit but not enough to get vice grips on. Brody has a tap set so I'll probably just go that route. I'll work on getting it cleaned up as much as I can and hopefully paint it.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm putting all the pictures in my 720 thread since that's where the motor is going now. I plan on doing the same thing to my z24 and putting it in this truck though!

• Like 1

Made some progress today, not much but every bit counts right?

Cleaned up the gauge cluster glass and cover

IMG_20160216_141200274_zps83zhvikt.jpg

Got a thermostat housing

IMG_20160216_204705900_zpshhkpim31.jpg

Cleaned up the valve cover more

IMG_20160216_204713766_zpsw3cf7ij8.jpg

And got a 521 pan!

IMG_20160216_204722919_zpsftdn15av.jpg

I really need to paint the block, what kind of paint do you guys like for doing it yourself?

Sherwin Williams automotive paint holds up just fine on a block. Just spray when you paint the car, or in the same manner. It's held up better than high temp paints in my experiance.

• Like 2