1976 datsun 710 (Mia)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although you have the 710 and 2.8, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea. The 2.8 makes about 120hp and 140ftlbs but it much heavier than your stock motor. People do the ka and sr swaps because they're 4 cylinders that are around stock weight and make 140hp with ~150ftlbs. Are you going to rebuild the motor before putting it in? If not you have to assume it's lost some of its power over the years, so you're pretty much talking about having stock power with a bunch of added weight and way less reliable.

It's just a ho hum engine, somewhat plentiful but nothing great, under powered and prone to bad crank bearings. If you have one, and it's free, and if it runs ok and doesn't burn oil, go ahead. It's not a great choice, but it will keep you on the road. Certainly cheaper than a KA swap.

My 710 just recently blew up so i figured i would put this chevy 2.8 to use and try to put it in my car... however iv never done an engine swap, this should be fun.

anything i should be careful for?

I've been working at a GM dealership for 30 years, and I can tell you that 2.8's are trouble. They produce shit for power and are famous for intake manifolds that blow gaskets and leak coolant into the valley, contaminating the oil, and destroying the bottom end. If it's a good running 2.8, sell it, and use the money to fix what you have or do a KA swap.

• Like 1

Steer clear of the 2.8 and this is from someone who has a mildly built 3.8 chevy on a stand destined for my 610 the 2.8 is crap if you want a chevy v6 run a 4.3 same as my 3.8 just a 350 with 2 less cylinders and speed parts for days

• Like 1

I've been working at a GM dealership for 30 years, and I can tell you that 2.8's are trouble. They produce shit for power and are famous for intake manifolds that blow gaskets and leak coolant into the valley, contaminating the oil, and destroying the bottom end. If it's a good running 2.8, sell it, and use the money to fix what you have or do a KA swap.

Don't all V6 GM motors have intake leaks?

• Like 1

Steer clear of the 2.8 and this is from someone who has a mildly built 3.8 chevy on a stand destined for my 610 the 2.8 is crap if you want a chevy v6 run a 4.3 same as my 3.8 just a 350 with 2 less cylinders and speed parts for days

Don't all V6 GM motors have intake leaks?

My leaking ass 3.1 says yes

Just not enough orange RTV was used... :lol:

• Like 1

Don't have experience with the Ford 2.8, but I'll assume it's pretty much the same as the 2.9? Well I had a 2.9 in an 88 ranger that was a one owner truck with 60k and logs for even every oil change, and that thing was quick and crazy peppy.

But fuck am I glad I'm back into Datsun's :) (had to end it well with something Datsun related)

• Like 1