1976 datsun 710 (Mia)

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

firewall, mounts, limitation by steering column, hood room, matching wiring harness, EFI or carb?, transmission: stick or auto?, driveshaft shortening?, 1 or 2 piece?, tranny mount, exhaust room, the condition of the engine?, your skills?, knowledge?, time?, money?

asking that question alone tells me alot about you. This isnt simple plug n play...

• Like 3

I strongly suggest u simply fix the 710 engine. A gasket kit is like 50$; a piston ring kit: 25$, bearings for crank and connectings rods are 15$/ea. All can be found at Rockauto.com

By doing it yourself, you will learn lots and understand which questions not to ask...

The 2.8 is one of the biggest POS ever made. Ask anyone. Sorry but....

Define 'blew up'. Like... 'rod through the block' or 'it runs funny now'. It's almost impossible to 'blow up' an L series engine without severe abuse and neglect. Most likely it's fixable / re-build able.

• Like 6

First off: find out why it isnt running. Your homework for tonight will be to google the following: leak test, compression test. I also want you to learn more about your engine and transmission. I was young and "naive" too when I got into the Datsun world. Hell I only have a few years into it and I prolly touched base with more stuff than an ordinary guy would with a '00+ car/truck

it has no compression in cylinder 1,2,3, and 90 in 4... i put a little oil in the cylinder to see if it was the rings and it came out the same.. it was -20 when it stopped working

it was a well maintained engine it just wouldn't start in the morning

These two statements are mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

The 2.8 is one of the biggest POS ever made. Ask anyone. Sorry but....

Define 'blew up'. Like... 'rod through the block' or 'it runs funny now'. It's almost impossible to 'blow up' an L series engine without severe abuse and neglect. Most likely it's fixable / re-build able.

Listen to this^^^  I had an 85 Jeep Cherokee with this engine.  My engine was in great running condition, but I took it out because the jeep was SO slow.  I ended up installing a 3.4 V6 Camaro engine (also a 60* V6), bolts in the same as the 2.8 but has about 50 more hp.  So if you do decide to do a Chevy 60* V6 swap I would choose a different engine than the 2.8.    Most people either do what I did with the 3.4 or if you want to make a bunch more power and are willing to do more work use a more modern 3.4, 3.5 or 3.9 engine.  60degreev6.com is a really good site if you do decide to go though with it.

• Like 1