B210 L20B swap

Conley

Hey guys!

I have the opportunity to get a beat up 200SX with an L20B and 5 speed, S10 chassis. I want to pick it up, rebuild the engine, and swap the drivetrain into my 75 4 speed B coupe.

I have been researching the details, on here and datsun1200. It seems like the s10 200SX is the best donor car to use, luckily. I've read the swap into the B210 is slightly easier than the 1200, and there seems to be more B210 love over here. So, I wanted to ask anyone with experience with this swap to please help me with some questions, clear up some confusion. Also hilarious that a swap thread was juuuust started.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses. I didn't put the questions yet, I am good at typing up a novel of a post, was trying to keep it a readable length hah.

The PL510 crossmember and oil pan is what I was hoping to workaround, I can't imagine those are common parts to find. I had actually thought the B210 and 200SX were both front sump, not true? Any way to modify B crossmember or mounts to fit? Or the 200SX unit? I've had nightmares in the past trying to find unicorn parts. I do have two places to ask locally though.

Will the stock driveline bolt up to the stumpy dogleg L series 5 speed? It seems the consensus is that the h150 is sturdy enough to handle the L20 torque. If so I may keep the 200SX diff on hand for the future, or sell it if I find a buyer.

As for the money, it's doable, at least there's no pricey engine management needed. I'm in the middle of another cross chassis swap so I have some idea of what's ahead. Have the tools as well.

Time and willpower... thas why the other swaps not done yet! XD

510 cross member shouldnt be terribly difficult to get your hands on.

Especially given your location.

Way less work than making the A member work.

I'd rather undo 4 bolts than cut, weld, measure multiple times until it fits.

The 200sx trans is the same length as any that were in the B.

May need to fab a mount.

Measure the A10's H-165 rear axle WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface) If very close to the B-210 for width swap it in for added strength, and surely, a larger brake shoe and drum.

The PL510 crossmember and oil pan is what I was hoping to workaround, I can't imagine those are common parts to find. I had actually thought the B210 and 200SX were both front sump, not true? Any way to modify B crossmember or mounts to fit? Or the 200SX unit? I've had nightmares in the past trying to find unicorn parts. I do have two places to ask locally though.

Oil pan would be easy enough as the 510's L16 is often swapped. Cross member? Usually sectioned, flipped, welded and reused again for KA/SR swaps. You have an S10 X member for the L series engine mount... mounts. Section the B-210 X member to fit an S10 L20B oil pan and weld the mounts onto it. 

Will the stock driveline bolt up to the stumpy dogleg L series 5 speed? It seems the consensus is that the h150 is sturdy enough to handle the L20 torque. If so I may keep the 200SX diff on hand for the future, or sell it if I find a buyer.

All I can say for sure is that the S10 5 speed is 26" long. Measure your B-210's 4 speed.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I was hoping I had both options open, though it would be great to keep it as bolt on as possible

Datzenmike, Is the PL510 a mid sump pan? And to make sure I understand clearly, the PL510 xmember is usually modified and retained on the 510 for the 510 SR/KA swap? Meaning it would be hard to find a spare xmember?

Sounds like I will look for the 510 crossmember+pan, while I am working on my other project (CA18DET Pulsar NX) before I start this one. If I can't find the PL510 xmember, I will modify the B210 xmember and add the S10 mounts.

I have 280zx struts+brakes to help with the extra weight (not modified yet)

As for the diff, I will measure them once I have the car and decide then.

Guess I will have to find some 510 guys too!

Thanks friends. All of your advice is much appreciated.

Classifieds ad under suspension and see if anyone has one... http://community.ratsun.net/classifieds/category/6-suspension/?sort_key=date_added&sort_order=desc

It's common to remove and modify the 510 cross member to fit the KA and SR engine oil pans.... like here... http://community.ratsun.net/topic/22183-flipping-reversing-510-crossmember/

This means there are not a lot of the stock 510 cross members being thrown away.

Jefe- Ty
Zerow- bring it down when your ready..will work for food cool.gif
Jesse- that would've been sweet. Youll see how i kept it square in the pics.
Dennis- the owner will be modifying the stock 510 mounts.
Ok got busy today, took only 3 hours & bam !
as it looks stock, imagine looking down into the engine bay......
fvpja.jpg
carefully marked lines. the upright ones must be straight up & down..
2gvvt4p.jpg
before i cut i welded a bar to keep it all square. I used a cut off wheel on my grinder...
np47yw.jpg
& slid into it's new position...
24278cy.jpg
20l1sh.jpg
welded in place...
qqbg34.jpg
j627go.jpg
at this point i cut off the brace. For looks & strength we decided to cap the ends of the mounts...
16aeeeh.jpg
t7gzud.jpg
this lip must be removed so it doesnt interfere with the steering linkage...
axis01.jpg
prepped for primer / paint...
2i77es9.jpg
3 coats of gloss black.......
21tz81.jpg
Ill include pics of the modd'd motor mounts soon. I may be making that part as well.

Here's another variant. All you need to do is modify the center to clear the new oil pan and the existing steering. You must make a jig to hold it so when welded back up the geometry isn't skewed.

Thank you Datzenmike! That is very helpful, that thread is very clear and that is a beaut of a x member.

I got the car today. A brown 79 200SX, with a dogleg 5 speed. 79352 miles. I was surprised to see the info plate on the firewall says 110 hp. I was expecting it to say 92. Was there an HO option? I know the trucks had 110 hp but thought the cars only had 92.

Came with a bunch of random extra parts, and 3 AR slot mag style wheels, surprisingly light! Might plastidip two black and put em on the rear of the B210 till I buy a full set of wheels. Pics to follow.

Today I attempted to swap the cool center console from the 200SX (has a little armrest/storage compartment and a bitching Datsun clock) into the B210, but the 200SX console is too big and will need to be cut to fit the seatbelts and to keep from hitting my big ol feet near the gas pedal.

Also none of the brackets line up so I will make some sheetmetal adapters at some point. I really want to use this clock haha. Its not in the picture though.

However I did swap the shifter bushing and body shifter boot (under the console shifter boot) from the 200SX, so my shifter feel has improved substantially. It would vibrate loudly in 3rd and 4th before. Not anymore!

549a9e94-d143-4948-a21b-536dd9d1103a_zps

Sadly I won't get much done on this swap, aside from stripping the 200SX down and getting rid of the body (miss my garage space) until I get my Pulsar finished. I have lots more money to spend on that and I think it would be foolish to do both simultaneously, financially and logistically. I didn't want to miss out on this drivetrain!

My B has a Grant steering wheel, and the 200 came with a Datsun wheel, but no horn pad  :blush:  Does anyone know if the buttons are interchangeable between late 70s models? If I find a round one for a Z on ebay that looks right, will it fit?